RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

On the Voyager of the Seas, Cafe Promenade did not serve pizza on departure day until after 6pm. Sandwiches and the desserts were available for lunch when we boarded, but no pizza. I suspect this is true for other ships too.

Also the Voyager of the Seas March 2011 was not allowing any outside drinks. They were kept and brought to your cabin the last night.

Are you talking about alcoholic drinks or any type of beverage (i.e., water, soda)? Passengers are never permitted to bring alcohol onto the ship (unless you can slip it past security), and I have heard mixed things as to whether they confiscate bottles of water or cans of soda.

RCI secrets they don't tell you.....Um, well, men should wear clean underwear to The Quest. ;)

this one cracked me up. Jim - sounds like you lived and learned. lol

Another tip, women should keep their underwear at the quest. A thong is not necessarily underwear.......

This doesn't apply anymore, but back in the 90's the Sovereign had a hidden hot tub at the back of the boat. It was located outside the fitness center. Not too many people knew about it, but when the hot tubs on the pool deck were crowded, this one would be empty!

Are you talking about alcoholic drinks or any type of beverage (i.e., water, soda)? Passengers are never permitted to bring alcohol onto the ship (unless you can slip it past security), and I have heard mixed things as to whether they confiscate bottles of water or cans of soda.

No drinks at all -- even water -- was allowed. Well, a small bottle of water was OK, but I thought for a while they were even going to take that. They had to smell it first to make sure it did not contain any booze. But there were lots of cases of cokes and water on a table that passengers could not take with them onto the ship.

I just called RCI myself and asked about bringing bottled water or soda on board. The 'woman' I spoke with said they stopped allowing that 2 1/2 years ago. I've been on 4 cruises with RCI in that time frame and brought a case of soda and water on every single one of them. :confused:

As usual the customer support team is right on the money with correct answers. I wonder now what the real deal is - either way I'll have a case of soda with me to check in - they let me or they hold it until i get back off the ship - whatever...

If they served sodas I drink I would have no issues - but I'm not a Coke fan...

SOSDD RCCL

I just called RCI myself and asked about bringing bottled water or soda on board. The 'woman' I spoke with said they stopped allowing that 2 1/2 years ago. I've been on 4 cruises with RCI in that time frame and brought a case of soda and water on every single one of them. :confused:

As usual the customer support team is right on the money with correct answers. I wonder now what the real deal is - either way I'll have a case of soda with me to check in - they let me or they hold it until i get back off the ship - whatever...

SOSDD RCCL

I think their official policy is no water or soda allowed, but obviously security practices may vary somewhat. I don't know if you will be able to get your soda back after the cruise. Maybe someone else has an answer to this.

It looks as if you are sailing on Oasis - I can't answer for that ship, but on the Serenade they were individual stalls. Here is a photo:

88ac2378.jpg

There were also plenty of towels available, no checkout required:

8a867544.jpg

Thank you for the pictures.....we will check it out on the Oasis.....works if we are pressed for the shower.....we like to stay on deck sunning til last minute on sea days...this would allow us to be ready in a few minutes!!!

My one tip.....

In the late afternoon we sometimes have a coke float.

We ask for some glasses, fill them with ice cream from the pool deck machine. Then pour a can of coke over the ice cream.... coke float!!!! Get a straw and enjoy!

More tips on what to bring:

a couple of those suction hooks for hanging hats or other items-found they stick to the mirror easily and were very well used-some can hold a number of pounds so use may be unlimited;

small dollar store roll of duck tape in case suitcase explodes in transit - hope not to use;

two highlighters-one for my items of interest in the daily list; and one for spouse; as sometimes we did not go to the same things;

I use the provided shampoo to wash some items in sink, and our friends take the clothes in the shower with them, but I like the idea about ziplock back washers so am planning on trying that one next cruise; I bring one of those dollar store clothes lines (hard plastic in a circle with clothes pins attached), which then can be hung anywhere (on a chair on the balcony, in the closet, etc.)

windsock-why you say? to hang out on the balcony when in port if next to side which is tied up-great for taking a picture of your cabin on the ship. I actually used a Canadian flag last time and as there were over 800 of us on the ship through the Panama Canal, it was a great conversation starter.

a friend brings a couple of those small battery candles for romance;

for anyone going to Alaska or through the Panama Canal or anywhere else where it may rain-dollar store rain gear.

Most of these items take up very little room in your suitcase.

Happy packing!!!

Someone posted about the carpeting on board to help you get your way around.

This should help clarify & is a BIG HELP!

**NOTE **

We are NOT talking about the hallway carpet. Look at the carpet at the stairs/elevator BANK below.

Here is the layout for RCI ships.

If you are PORT (left side) & AFT (rear) then your staircase/elevator carpet is BLUE.

If you are STARBOARD (right side) and AFT staircase/elevator carpet is PINK.

If you are PORT and FORWARD staircase/elevator carpet is PINK.

If you are STARBOARD & FORWARD staircase/elevator carpet is GREEN.

(PINK is on opposite sides!!! Don't get confused.)

Basically, back of ship is blue & pink and forward is pink & green. You don't have to remember all the colors, just the one for YOUR STATEROOM. That way you know where you're supposed to be, or not.

The photo below was taken from the starboard/aft end.

If you look across the CL Lounge on deck 9 you can see the blue carpet.

ExplorerDeck9hall-1-1.jpg

Edited by Pack My Bags

Hope these haven't been mentioned before:

Extension lead (power strip) useful as sockets very close to counter tops and not all plugs (especially phone chargers) fit.

Air freshener for the bathroom :eek: I use the battery-operated ones that "puff" every half hour or so

It would seem that on European cruises there is no free juice at breakfast - only the usual lemonade or fruit squash. A HUGE pity as juice must be as plentiful in Europe as it is in the States

Check for hidden cupboards behind mirrors

Not everyone realises there is room under the bed for suitcases and/or shoes

You can ask for your beds to be put any which way you like - we like the double mattress but prefer single quilts as I like to snuggle in mine and DH doesn't.

you can ask for your fridge to be completely emptied so you don't get charged for something you haven't had.

You can take the little cartons of milk from Windjammer in the morning and put in your fridge for your tea/coffee later (tea making facilities on Freedom class)

Enjoy!!!:D

I hope this will be helpful to someone out there... I got up early one morning to collect ice show tickets (on the night they changed the ship's clocks by an hour, meaning that it felt much earlier than it technically was!), and the queue was ENORMOUS! I gave up waiting, but then recalled reading on here about how they put any spare tickets at Guest Relations... We strolled along later in the day, and discovered huge piles of tickets, for all of the Ice Shows and managed to pick up what we wanted with no waiting at all!

Unfortunately I'll never get that couple of hours sleep back! ;)

Obviously if you want a guaranteed seat, then you should get up, just in case, but apparently of the 3,600 pax on Indy, over 1,300 were repeat cruisers, so I guess a lot of them had already seen the shows and there were plenty of spare seats.

Re juices on European Cruises... we've just come off Indy, and there was freshly squeezed orange juice available in Windjammer at breakfast time. I hadn't quite realised how fresh it was until the final mouthful... it had obviously sat for a while, and all the bits had sunk to the bottom!

As for temperature on board, I wore a short sleeved cardigan most nights and was comfortable (but I was born on the West Coast of Scotland, so it could be that I'm hardier than some!). The theatre was roasting one night though, no idea why!

It's handy to have something to slip on/wrap round you if you need it, or just for post dinner strolls along the deck. My boyfriend didn't comment on the temperature at all, and he was often in short sleeves of an evening, and we both wore shorts and t-shirts in the day...

SOSDD RCCL

I will tell you for a fact, that RCCL did not allow ANY drinks to be brought onboard Voyager of the Seas last February when sailing from Galveston, TX. They even made my DW throw out her half-consumed water bottle.

They had a luggage cart parked next to the Security X-ray machines where you entered the terminal. Anyone that had liquids in their carryons were sent over to the personnel manning the table/cart and all liquid drinks were confiscated. There were cases of water, soft drinks, booze, etc. I guess you could reclaim it when you got off the ship the next weekend, but I don't know if people did. It would be of little use to anyone that had to fly home from Houston.

Folks who tried to put a luggage tag on their drinks and send it through as checked luggage were also unsuccessful, as the porters refused to take it. I guess that you might have some success in trying to smuggle it, but they have gotten pretty good at finding it on the x-rays and you will have to go to the "naughty room" to turn over the drinks and then reclaim your bag.

I agree with several of the people who stated its a cultural difference. Most likely brought on by the fact that buffet style restaurants in most of the USA (I've lived in Miami and Cleveland, and visited places all over) you're seated first by the restaurant host/hostess or instructed to find your table, then either you are provided plates to start or pickup plates at the food stations. This naturally carries over to the ship especially since there are no 'given' rules other than the obvious don't fight.

Rule of thumb is simply, the departure port will determine 90% of the time what the overwhelming population of the pax on the ship will be. Be prepared to follow the traditions and culture for those people.

I know the original poster didn't mean to offend, however it's quite difficult to not come off as offensive (especially in our ridiculously PC world) when you make any comment that includes the words 'quite rude' and a specific nationality.

Well said.

I travel internationally for my job and take pains to follow the local customs. And when I'm on a vacation out of Port Canaveral, I will follow my own customs. Don't view it as rude. I don't do that with your customs when I'm in the UK or other countries.

• 6 months later...

Our son and daughter-in-law decided to join us on this cruise and booked last week. It's their wedding anniversary on 2/17. They were married on a beach in Barbados while on a Carnival cruise in 2006. Looking forward to spending the time with them :-)

I noticed some posts mention carpet help near the stairs. When i was on the Explorer in 2008 the trick was if you see three elevator bank on one end while waiting for elevator, you are in the forward. If you see 4 elevators bank while you are waiting for elevator, you are in the aft end of the ship. If you are walking in promenade area and see one glass elevator on both side, you are walking forward of the ship. If you see two glass elevators on both side next to each other you are walking toward aft area. That help me out a lot. I tried to do on Allure but they both the same amount of elevator banks unless someone can spotted a different.

Every culture has things that others may find unusual or annoying. As my grandmother used to say "if you dont have something good to say dont say anything"

It appears that I have hit upon a cultural nerve. Which was most certainly not my intention. I know only too well from these boards that Americans do not appreciate criticism of their ways and customs.

It only takes a "few minutes" for my food to get cold while you are sitting there not eating.

At times the Windjammer is extraordinarily busy - I appreciate that it is clearly acceptable in your culture, it is quite rude in ours.

• 1 month later...

Since there's no self-laundry, a reasonable substitute for those looking to pack minimally and not send their wash out is a large ziplock bag. There are 2.5 gallon ones available. Pop your clothes in, add water, then add a dollop of the provided shampoo, seal, and shake to create your own washing machine.

Is there any self-laundry on Navigator? It used to have on some RC ships.

It appears that I have hit upon a cultural nerve. Which was most certainly not my intention. I know only too well from these boards that Americans do not appreciate criticism of their ways and customs.

It only takes a "few minutes" for my food to get cold while you are sitting there not eating.

At times the Windjammer is extraordinarily busy - I appreciate that it is clearly acceptable in your culture, it is quite rude in ours.

I say there old chap, pip pip cheerio. I bloody well must agree with you.

During peak times in the WJ, if you are not eating, you should not be seated in the WJ.

Further, I sympathize with you. As I understand, any excuse not to eat British food is a good one …. Too cold, too hot, undercooked, over cooked, not cooked, etc.

When you find yourself in an environment with edible food, you want to eat it.

Edited by johneeo