Need help with balcony guarantee

CruisinKJ

So I initially had a D3 cabin for upcoming Oasis cruise. I saw a D1 guarantee offer, and decided to upgrade thinking that at least I would get a D1 cabin. I just checked my guarantee and I'm assigned a B2 (boardwalk balcony!). I booked the cruise through Costco, and called them to correct this. They then proceeded to tell me this was considered an upgrade from a D1!!! I tried to tell them that its not an ocean view and has a smaller balcony. They said they talked to RCI and this was considered a better category cabin and theres nothing they can do for me at the moment. What can I do to get this fixed? I highly doubt a B2 is a better category than a D1, especially when I could have paid $300 less per person for a B2. Please any suggestions greatly appreciated.

So are you implying that based on the location of the B2 it is a higher category cabin than a D1, although it is priced cheaper than a D1? Is there someone I can contact at RCI to sort this out? Like a higher up customer service representative?

Because of their unique views, balcony and central parkview balconies are considered higher categories by RCI. Some with boardwalk and centralpark view staterooms (no balcony). These are considered higher than oceanview staterooms.

Technically, you did get an upgrade. I don't mean to be harsh, but before you give up a room you like for a gty, it helps to know what the cruiseline considers an "upgrade"

Because of their unique views, balcony and central parkview balconies are considered higher categories by RCI. Some with boardwalk and centralpark view staterooms (no balcony). These are considered higher than oceanview staterooms.

Technically, you did get an upgrade. I don't mean to be harsh, but before you give up a room you like for a gty, it helps to know what the cruiseline considers an "upgrade"

Not harsh at all, you're absolutely correct, I should have been more specific when I booked the gty to see what cabins are considered an "upgrade". I just foolishly assumed B and C balconies were "inferior' because they were consistently priced lower, and not just on our cruise but other sailing dates as well. I'm just upset because a D1 guarantee for $1560/ person is getting me a B2 that I could have selected myself for $1200-1300/person. It seems like a D1 guarantee (which is the most expensive balcony) gives RCI the right to shaft me with a cheaper balcony which they claim is better.

If it's before final payment, I think you can cancel and rebook. If it's after final payment, keep looking to see if there is a better upgrade. Maybe they'll let you downgrade to your original cabin/category without refunding you the upgrade difference.

Archived