Category selling help

solecruiser

Hi,

I've only been on two previous cruises (not Holland) and both times have had inside cabins. We're thinking of a Holland cruise and saw a great rate for a VH category room and was told by the TA that there are only 4 VH rooms on the ship and that the chance of being upgraded was good (not guaranteed, but good). Since the cruise is in January will that affect the chance of being offered an upgrade because it's close to embarkation date so those that purchased earlier may be offered the upgrade before us? On average how many VH guarantees do you think they sell for these 4 rooms? Anyone have any inside info on this?

The way I'm actually thinking of this is that it most definitely will be a step up from my previous inside rooms so what the heck........maybe I should go for it. I read all the info about the steel railings and ship location so I'm familiar with these aspects of the VH. I'm just interested in trying to get a general idea of how many of these room they sell as guarantees.

January is quite a distance away, actually. What you have booked is a basic veranda room guarantee. You are right, there are only four of them. Chances are you will be upgraded to a higher level veranda cabin -- same cabin but different (and supposedly superior) location on the ship. They sell the guarantees and then use them to fill all available veranda cabins that have not been specifically booked.

But, it is also possible that you will be one of the four folks who took the guarantee that will actually get the VH cabin -- do not expect an upgrade -- guarantees usually start getting assigned about two weeks out but sometimes you will not know your assignment until you are at the pier. I find a guarantee a way to add anticipation and excitement to the cruise process.

You will definitely like this cabin better than an inside however it turns out. Good luck and keep us posted!

To answer your question: from reading this board it seems that HAL sells oodles of VH Guarentees. If you are not one of the four who paid the lowest price for your VH, it would follow that your assignment will be an upgrade. This is based on the idea that price is the most important criteria for upgrades. If you do get assigned a VH, the consolation is that you very likely paid low!

Hope you do well!

I'm just interested in trying to get a general idea of how many of these room they sell as guarantees.

Nobody really knows the number (I suspect it depends on sales of other cats.) unless they work for HAL... and are not at liberty to say.

As long as you don't 'count' on an upgrade you'll be fine. If you do get one - then you can go "Woo hoo!"

Also look at the higher categories of unobstructed OVs. If they are only offering guarantees in those, or at least the highest category, then chances are four of those people will get the VH and the VH gtys will get something higher. EM

Archived