Is there anyway of knowing how many cabins are actually available in a given category

solecruiser

When checking available cabins there is never more than 6 available showing for each available category. Does this mean that there are only 6 left in this category or do they add more if one of these available cabins gets taken?

There is no surefire way to determine exactly how many cabins are available, certainly no way over the Internet from HAL or TA sites. Personally I've seen our category for our upcoming cruise go up to the magical five or six available, then down to guarantee only, then back up to five, and most recently just one available. I know when we booked our cruise the cabin we wanted wasn't listed. I asked the TA to check with HAL and he came back with the cabin we wanted so we booked.

If there are fewer than six cabins showing, then you are seeing all available cabins in that category. If there are six showing, you have no way to tell how many there are. The system will only show up to six at a time. It could be exactly six; it could be any number up to the amount that exist in that category (the last one is unlikely, but theoretically possible).

It seems you can get a good idea of the number of cabins available if you search for a cruise on HAL's website. First, create a list of the cabins you are interested in from the deck plans. Then, choose the category you are interested in with the website's search feature. At the bottom of the area where you are shown the available staterooms there is a place to click and enter a stateroom number. You can then methodically go through your list to check which staterooms are available. I know this is time consuming but it seems to work.

Hope this helps.:o

For any given cat., if there a six rooms showing you can enter the other room numbers (one at a time) to see what's available. It's time-consuming but possible.

Very time consuming. :) But if you have a specific cabin you are looking for you can enter it and see if it's open. One caveat, if you enter a specific cabin, it will put it on hold for a few minutes, so if you are checking a specific one, and then want to call you T.A., give it about 10 minutes or so before you call. ;)

Dh just phoned a rep at HAL and was given a list of about 50 cabins that were available - then we went to our TA and she asked for the specific one we wanted.

The only ones she was given as available originally were in poor locations - something new as our TAs usually were not restricted with a choice of just a few cabins. I heard her say to the HAL person on the phone "why wasn't I aware of all these cabins being available?"

There is a european website that does show all available staterooms for most cruiselines. For Holland America it will only show the six or seven staterooms that other agencies will show. It is always worth a look. Since it is a competitor and we are not allowed to give the name, try running together a numberless s0e1a2s3c4a5n6n7e8r dot.

Archived