Special pricing for children?

achio4444

Hi! My family and I are looking to cruise, most likely in Jan/Feb out of Florida (we live here). It would be my in-laws, my parents, and then my husband and I with our two kids - they will be 3-years old and 22-months old at that time. I looked into some different cruises with the assumption that kids that age would be much cheaper. Unfortunately, the travel agent I talked to said both kids would be full price! UGH! That makes the cruise a bit more expensive than we were anticipating.

Do you know of any cruise lines that run special pricing for little ones? Any specials you anticipate coming soon? Do any lines ever run specials where kids cruise free or reduced? We would do all 4 of us in one room.

I'm on some mailing lists and hoping for some Black Friday specials, but who knows? I understand paying full price for the 3-year old if she can go to the children's program, but not so much for the little guy!

Thanks for any help,

Amy

NCL usually has cheaper prices for the little ones. And Costa has kids sail free promotions too. Disney was running a kids sail free promotion too on veranda state rooms a while back too, but I don't know if they still are.

I know what you mean about the high prices for little ones. It stinks! I've heard the "they take up a spot" theory and therefore should pay full 3rd/4th person prices. But, I just don't buy it. I think it's a rip off for a baby to pay a full person rate, and most decidedly not family friendly.

OH well, happy cruising!

Hi! My family and I are looking to cruise, most likely in Jan/Feb out of Florida (we live here). It would be my in-laws, my parents, and then my husband and I with our two kids - they will be 3-years old and 22-months old at that time. I looked into some different cruises with the assumption that kids that age would be much cheaper. Unfortunately, the travel agent I talked to said both kids would be full price! UGH! That makes the cruise a bit more expensive than we were anticipating.

Do you know of any cruise lines that run special pricing for little ones? Any specials you anticipate coming soon? Do any lines ever run specials where kids cruise free or reduced? We would do all 4 of us in one room.

I'm on some mailing lists and hoping for some Black Friday specials, but who knows? I understand paying full price for the 3-year old if she can go to the children's program, but not so much for the little guy!

Thanks for any help,

Amy

I would want my TA to verify what he/she is telling you. On most cruises the 3rd/4th rate is lower that the 1st 2 passengers (Ex.- 1&2 =$800.00 @ while 3&4 = $400.00@). In this example if the TA meant that there is no discount on the $400.00, they are correct. The children pay full 3rd/4th rate no matter what the age. The ship has a maximum capacity and ever person, no matter the age goes against that capacity. That is just the way it is on some lines. Just keep your eyes open for any specials that come along. Also keep in mind, I believe only RCI and Disney have some ships that allow diapered children to be in certain pool areas. All other lines prohibit diapered children in the pools. That might be important to you.

Gregg

Thank you! I just found the Costa line...never even heard of it, but it looks promising.

I misspoke a bit - the TA said it was the 'regular' 3rd and 4th person pricing, which with the cruise we were looking at was only $25 less than the 1st and 2nd person. I get their reasoning - the kids count against their occupancy. However, our room is already 'taken' whether there is 2 or 4 people in it. If the kids don't come with us, I'm not letting some random strangers stay with us instead, you know??? ;)

Gregg, thanks for the pool info, it's definitely something to consider. Although we have a pool, so it's not going to be a huge draw for the kids, but I'll definitely want some pool time. It'd be much better if it were sans kids with a fruity drink in my hand!

Anyhow, I'll keep looking...and any other info would be great.

When traveling with children it is hard. Most of the time we have to travel whe our children are in school and this is the peak time to cruise so the deals aren't very good. However, from what you stated your children aree young enough that you can travel off peak unless yor job won't allow you. As for the 3/4 person fare it is not that you child takes up the space is more about the amount of service that has to go into take care of another person. Think about changing an extra bed, having more food on board in case of emergency all of these things go into the price of a cruise.

The best thing to do when traveling with children is to travel off peak if you can. You will get the best deals when you do that.

I feel your pain. I have to pay full price for DD. She is the second person in the room so I don't get a discount at all.

Check out Holland America. They have some good offers for Jan/Feb. Although they would not be a line that comes to mind for a young family, they do have a kids program for your older child (no line has one for a child under 2).

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/SpecialOffers.action?destCode=C

Thanks for any help,

Amy

MSC has a kids sail free program that is always going on. I believe they have a ship sailing out of Miami during the time you want to go.

Thank you! I just found the Costa line...never even heard of it, but it looks promising.

I misspoke a bit - the TA said it was the 'regular' 3rd and 4th person pricing, which with the cruise we were looking at was only $25 less than the 1st and 2nd person. I get their reasoning - the kids count against their occupancy. However, our room is already 'taken' whether there is 2 or 4 people in it. If the kids don't come with us, I'm not letting some random strangers stay with us instead, you know??? ;)

Unfortunately, a ship is not like a hotel where it doesn't matter how many bodies are in a room. A ship is permitted only so many "souls" be they 6 months or 70 years of age, so everyone, including babies, counts against the number of people they can have on the ship. We often read where someone has a cabin that will sleep four, have booked only two and then want to add another person. If the ship has booked it's maximum number of passengers, they cannot do that regardless of how many beds may be in a cabin.

Another reason most lines do not discount for children, the cruiselines do not make their money on just the cabins - gambling, alcohol, gift shop purchases and the like are big profit centers - they make nothing from children. Most cruiselines also expect full tips be paid for children - even babies (who probably should pay more).

Disney will discount or have kids sail free offers from time to time, but you will usually pay more in the end as their base prices are so much more. A few other lines that have kids sail free offers - well, read the reviews - sometimes you get what you pay for.

Another reason most lines do not discount for children, the cruiselines do not make their money on just the cabins - gambling, alcohol, gift shop purchases and the like are big profit centers - they make nothing from children.

I think parents often underestimate the importance of this factor. The pricing structure is heavily based on luring you onboard with a cheap fare, and then upselling you for the whole trip. I think that's the biggest reason you don't see many discounts for children.

Thanks for all the info.

I do get why I have to pay for them. I just wasn't expecting a full adult fare...my mistake. However, that being said, we don't really gamble nor drink, so on my last cruise (honeymoon), our onboard bill at the end was less than $100. No cruise line is making money off my family, kids or adults! :D

All that being said, I think we've decided to wait until the little guy is 3, April 2012, so that he can go in the children's program when we go. That's worth paying full fare plus some for!

Thanks for all the info.

I do get why I have to pay for them. I just wasn't expecting a full adult fare...my mistake. However, that being said, we don't really gamble nor drink, so on my last cruise (honeymoon), our onboard bill at the end was less than $100. No cruise line is making money off my family, kids or adults! :D

All that being said, I think we've decided to wait until the little guy is 3, April 2012, so that he can go in the children's program when we go. That's worth paying full fare plus some for!

You already have many good advices from others, but just want to point out that not all cruise lines have 3 year olds as the cut off point.

Carnival allows kids 2 and older into their camp. So does NCL , but they won’t change diapers for you, you will be paged if they need to be changed. RCI allows kids 18 months to 36 months to play in the play area, but at least one adult must be present at all time to play with the baby, you can’t leave them there until they turn 3.

So your little one will have some options if you still want to cruise per your previous time frame. We took our oldest son to Alaska when he was 15 months and his younger brother sailed when he was 2 years old. Takes some work and pre-planning to cruise with little ones, but it's great memory afterwards.

I really think it all depends on which cruise line and the timing. We looked in to Royal Caribbean in January and the 3/4th passenger rate for out 4.5yo and our 15mo old was only about $100 less each than our rates. However for the exact same dates on Carnival, the 3/4th passenger rates were less than 1/2 of our rates. We paid $700 I think or so and the kids were only $300 each. That to me is a significant discount! Also Carnival has some port day babysitting for our baby that most other lines don't have or can't "guarantee".

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the info.

Please tell us you had OBC to cover all the service charges....AKA Auto tips :eek:

Archived