concerned over seeing bad reviews for the Valor

nature person

While it has been 3 years since my cruise on the Valor ( it was a great one ), I doubt very much that things have deteriorated so much to warrant a lot of negative reviews. I have seen many good ones, and a couple of bad ones. But as with my most recent two cruises, Liberty and Freedom, there are occasionally bad ones, and I tend to take them with a grain of salt.

People will always find something to complain about, if they are complainers in general. There are those among us, who chose to write about what displeased them, rather than what pleased them.

I think, barring unusual circumstances, ie; delays boarding (for whatever reason ), or mechanical issues, missed ports of call, ( again, for whatever reason ), etc, some will focus on those things and write the whole cruise off as being bad.

Open mind, going without huge and unreasonable expectations, having a sense of humor, etc, all of this will help in having a good cruise experience. There will likely be some things that dont please, but it doesnt have to ruin your whole week.:)

This is one of the most intelligent posts I have seen in a long time.

Hello everyone! I have been alittle shy to post till now. My family has booked recently for April cruise on the Valor, very excited! This will beour 3rd cruise. first was on Carnival Liberty 2 years ago ,and on Serenade of the Seas last April. Love cruising..we are addicted for sure. My question to those whom have sailed the Valor , did you have a good cruise? Recent rash of bad reviews on cruise critic I have been reading has scared me alittle. We found the Liberty very nice ,the food wonderful as the staff all very friendly. I am one of those that agree that Carnival definately wins in the food area. Both cruises were great on both lines.Is the smoke really that bad all over the Valor? I would love to get info from past cruisers on this ship. I hope the rumor that its getting a Serenity area while in dry dock is true1 would be very nice.

Yes,we had a good cruise.BEst one??not at all,but we paid only 1600$ for 3 people balcony cabin,so I did not think it would be best one,just good enough to us.Food area was not good in buffet and it was ok in DR,but its only my opinion I am sure for some people it was best food . Could be less drunk people and less smoke ,but still we had good time,and we would go back on CCL again.

Pinksand,maybe you could elaberate please? We just got off the Valor last week and the only long line all week was going through immagration after the cruise.We ate breakfast and lunch on the lido and never had to wait in a long line,5 min max to fill your plate:confused: We had a wonderfull time,food was great,weather was warm,staff was freindly as usuall,plenty of deck chairs. Dont have a clue what went on with you:confused: I have been on 8 Carnival cruises and this one ranked right up there with the best.We took the Galley tour and it was stated that on the last Inspection it was given 100 % passing grade.

Pinksand,maybe you could elaberate please? We just got off the Valor last week and the only long line all week was going through immagration after the cruise.We ate breakfast and lunch on the lido and never had to wait in a long line,5 min max to fill your plate:confused: We had a wonderfull time,food was great,weather was warm,staff was freindly as usuall,plenty of deck chairs. Dont have a clue what went on with you:confused: I have been on 8 Carnival cruises and this one ranked right up there with the best.We took the Galley tour and it was stated that on the last Inspection it was given 100 % passing grade.

I actually took pictures of the long lines, if someone could tell me how to post pics, I could show you. :) Maybe you weren't in the same areas at the same times as me.

OH you must mean the lines that were to get off the ship in Grand Cayman,before the tendering had even started.Goes to show how many people listen to announcements.They told people with tours to meet in the theater and they would be allowed to get off first,because of the amount of ships in port(5).People on tours were allowed off first,then anyone cuold get off after.Why line up, way in advance, when your not going to go anywhere.

some see the glass as half full...some see it as half empty.

Half-full= the ship was great, the crew were wonderful, the food tasted good, the ports rocked, the shows were the best.

half empty=....... you know

Two people could be on the same ship and write two conflicted reviews.

We found we were constantly lining up -3 to4 times for embarkation, for tenders,ect. We found the food OK,the ship smoky and hard to get around. Carnivals organization is awful-changing port days with no written notice-even checked guest services recording on board and it gave original itinerary. Staff seemed to be bored/unfriendly, Entertainment- poor

In saying that we had an OK time on the cruise-because we made it that way not because of Carnival. We will never travel Carnival again.

We do travel 3 times a year to other Caribbean resorts and this is our second cruise and was not a great experience for us

I wouldn't put too much stock in most of the reviews. I booked my cruise on Destiny right before the first set of problems that caused them to go to emergency drydock earlier this year. There were still many complaints after the drydock, right up until I left for my cruise, but it was excellent. Me and my wife didn't have any problems, but according to the reviews, that was all we were supposed to have

I guess that's why this site is called "Cruise Critic"...everyone is entitled to their own opinions and this is a spot to give your own experience and your review. Not criticize and call out posters who you didn't share the exact same experience with. What would be the point if you were only always allowed to say positive things about everything? I just think people need to chill out and let each person say how their experience was. On my cruise, I did have fun because I met some new people and just tried to enjoy myself, HOWEVER, I will not cruise on this ship again and possibly not Carnival because it wasn't for me. I had a better time on NCL. Things flowed more smoothly and I didn't have to waste hours in lines and waiting, when we only have so much time as it is. Mostly every port was chaotic getting on/off, and I did not hear much communication on it that would have made it gone smoother. That is my review and without reviews and pointers to change things, nothing in life will change. No one will know what needs to be done to make things better, if people don't speak up. I also had to wait for a pager to even dine in the anytime dining Lincoln room some nights. So some nights we waited about 45 minutes to eat. Maybe we went at a popular time, but that is MY experience. There were many others who shared the same on this cruise that I talked to as well, that said they have never been on a Carnival cruise that was so poorly organized. I also thought the workers were not very friendly. Every time I smiled at one in passing, I did not receive a smile back. Also, they did not step aside to let passengers through. I felt like I was always the one stepping aside for them. If you go into the member reviews on this site for Carnival Valor in November, you will read the majority of reviews for November were not very good, so I know I am not alone. Maybe November was a bad month? Who knows. I will use this board to hopefully read recommendations on what cruise line I can try in the future to hopefully have a better experience. After all, isn't that what it's for?

I have really been enjoying posting questions . This group has been very generous in their responces. :) It is such a great resourse. Now..I just hope i dont drive you all nuts with all my questions! Just wanted to thank all those that have replied to my various posts and gave me such good advice.

for those concerned over recent bad reviews of Valor ...just my humble thoughts:

I traveled with a variety of family and friends aged from 2 to 70's.....I am not either a half-full or half-empty person.....I am something else.....something more like "let me see....let me think about that....got to get a perspective.....hmmm" kind of person

so no offense....but I do wonder about the point of taking a picture of a long line....but that did give me a chuckle so thanks :) ;) (I am a fellow documenter but not of such things)

there is a point to negative reviews I know for sure.....but keep in mind also that there is the point of 'if errors are what are watched, you will find plenty'

imo, we westerners seem to place a high price tag on a sense of entitlement, most especially when we pay for something....

to be honest, I didn't see much of the complaints posted and what I did see of them I made some personal accommodations in progress.....for ex. I whistled and smiled and really paid attn. to ppl around me, and thought of interesting somethings if I happened to be in a line at guest services.....I watched the staff there during my time in line and appreciated what they were doing.....put myself in their place, etc., made conversation with the next person in line....took the emphasis off of myself, my concerns, my issues....it felt so much better.....my time in guest services line was coming anyway....(I also had my mp3 player and head phones with me to listen to a good book or music while in line so did that part of the time LOL)....just one example

if I wanted to I could also post something negative in detail but it's not significant enough in my personal opinion....if it was, I would post it......there were certainly issues and happenings during my recent cruise on Valor that were not smooth, or to my liking.....how does being on vacation put us in a special world? I just don't know......

do this, walk down the corridor during your cruise and offer the first smile (not being pollyana but let's just be real, ppl are toooo guarded and you do the first kindness oriented nowadays) and see how much better it will be for you and the crew and other passengers....you can approach real issues and problems from a better perspective imo.......

I think being less me-centric helps to give all a better and more real perspective during their cruise.....significant and real problems, issues and much needed changes not withstanding.....

it was just so interesting to me considering the variety of reactions of the friends and family I cruised with....what they complained about and what they enjoyed the most....from the laid back ones, to the partying 20somethings, to the very involved parents and kids, to the older singles, the number-crunchers, and the whiners (who would call me just as an announcement ended because they did not understand it and wanted me to explain.....didn't even give themselves a chance to digest in case they did understand something LOL)

btw, the laid back friends gave me a "you need to chill" mini advice......and here I thought I was chillin' and dillin'....:D

if you are booked and sailing, have a good cruise on the Valor, I so hope you do.....if not booked and thinking about her, I think the chances of you having a good cruise on the Valor are pretty high.....

take the negatives from some reviews and make your own adjustments to work for you.....it's a vacation but imo, it's real life also

Archived