Ruby Princess Venice- Ft. Lauderdale Oct 19, 2011

RMorningglory

I think this starts the ball rolling. I know it's a long way away but thought it would be a good time to start getting to know our other Family travelers on this great trip. We are Chris and AJ and are taking my parents on this cruise for their 50th Anniversary. They and we can't wait.

Who else is sailing with us??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Chris & AJ,

Still booked for this? This will be my 5th TA and 3rd on the Ruby Princess. I actually did this same cruise last year when it was a 16 day. Have to say I love the Ruby as well as my sea days!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there... and yes ... we're totally on!! I thought we were the only family on the ship. I hadn't checked back in a long ime so I'm glad to find you here as well. How was the crossing last year?? Was the weather any good. I am taking my parents on this cruise for their 50th anniversary and we're all really looking forward to it. I'd love your insite on the trip. Who are you traveling with?? I will check back regularly now that I know I'm not alone!!

Chris:D

Hello Chris,

I am traveling solo. TA's tend to be better priced when you have to pay for two. In the long run it works out better because I truly love the sea days as well the longer duration. I am pretty sure that the shortest cruise I have ever taken was 10 days with the longest being 23. For the cruise in October it will be my first at Elite level. I am very much looking forward to packing less since I can get my laundry done as one of my new perks.

Weather wise last year it poured the day we were in Naples and it was cloudy and kind of damp when we stopped in the Azores. Other than that the weather was outstanding and have never experienced rough seas whether it was May or October. I do prefer the westerly crossings because with the time change coming home you actually have six 25 hour days instead of six 23 hour days.

Well congratulations on your Elite Status. We're working on that! AJ and I are looking forward to the restful days too. Was it warm enough to sit out by the pool during the sea days?? We love the Sanctuary in warm weather. I have been to Europe a lot but my parents and AJ haven't so I'm really looking forward to showing them the highlights. We are actually planning to fly into Milan on Sunday Morning and do some Venito stuff till Wednesday. We're staying in Padua and renting a car. We'll leave it in Mystere before boarding the ship. How close to the ship can you get with a car?? I just couldn't bare the thought of schlepping stuff through the paths of Venice with the bridges. Yikes. BTW It will be AJ's 46th Birthday on October 21st. He's completely ignoring the fact that this is my parents 50th anniversary cruise and making it solely into his birthday cruise. LOL How has the GLBT group been on other crossings? I would assume it might be a bit older crowd?

So glad we've started this thread... hopefully others will join too. Keep in touch!!

I set sail in 11 days for two weeks on the Sapphire Princess, that will give me my Elite. Booked a guaranty back in October and still no cabin assignment.

Regarding the open decks, on all of my TA's it has always been warm enough to sit out by the pool. At night did need a blanket for MUTS however. Last year I spent 2 nights in Mestre prior to boarding the Ruby. There were 40 of us at the same hotel and we had arranged for a bus to take us to the ship. They dropped us off right where we left our luggage and did a short walk to the terminal. I believe that a "hired" vehicle can take the bridge over to the port but regular vehicles are not allowed. I would suggest checking with your hotel.

There has always been a mix of age groups at get-togethers but generally probably older than you would find on a 7 day Caribbean.

I too will be celebrating a birthday while aboard the Ruby. It wasn't planned for that..... just happens to occur this time around as the itinerary is later this year. Little older, mid-fifties here.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello......

The Sapphire was nice. It definitely has a few nice features compared to the Ruby. I love the covered pool and the wider Promenade deck. The one less passenger deck is nice also!

I have learned a couple of things.......

Do not book during any school vacation weeks.

I will probably not do a Mexican Riviera again.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, it has been a little crazy here since I got back from Mexico. A week from today I am flying to Miami and boarding the NCL Epic on Saturday the 7th. It's an 11-day to Barcelona and I will stay there for 2 days before flying home to Logan on the 20th. It's my first non-Princess cruise since the 70's and had originally booked it to try the Studio cabins for singles. Prices dropped significantly for balconies while the studios almost doubled in price. I ended up paying an additional $350 from my original studio to upgrade to a balcony. Unless NCL blows me away I will be sticking with Princess since I am elite with them. I actually have booked the Emerald Princess TA next Spring and the Grand Princess TA in the fall of 2012.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm booked on this cruise but I just might cancel it. I travel solo and I don't mind it but this would be my first TA and I'm scared I'll get bored on the last 6 days of the cruise. Still thinking about it...

6 days of sailing, sunning, drinks, dinner shows and no chance you can have a bad day... and you're afraid you'll get board??? Not a chance. The best rest you'll ever have and after all the ports you'll need it. Don't bag it... embrace it. I'm Chris by the way. Welcome to the Board. Tell us a little about yourself. :)

All about Epic. Where are you from??? We are from the Cape.

The Epic is a beautiful ship on the inside but butt ugly on the outside. Definitely enjoyed all of the venues and entertainment onboard. The crew was among the friendliest that I have ever cruised with. I have to say though that the food was at the very best "mediocre." Will I ever sail NCL again, maybe, but not in the near future.

BTW I am in Eastern Connecticut

Hello,

I'm booked on this cruise but I just might cancel it. I travel solo and I don't mind it but this would be my first TA and I'm scared I'll get bored on the last 6 days of the cruise. Still thinking about it...

I just completed my fourth solo transatlantic. This cruise on the Ruby was booked solo but if all goes well that may change shortly. ;)

I actually have booked the Emerald Princess TA next Spring and the Grand Princess TA in the fall of 2012.

Greetings - I'm kind of lurking on this thread - I'm also booked on the Grand Princess TA in the fall or 2012 and I'm also Elite with Princess and I'm also traveling solo - we should chat :)

6 days of sailing, sunning, drinks, dinner shows and no chance you can have a bad day... and you're afraid you'll get board??? Not a chance. The best rest you'll ever have and after all the ports you'll need it. Don't bag it... embrace it. I'm Chris by the way. Welcome to the Board. Tell us a little about yourself. :)

I'll definitely be on that cruise. I just bought my plane ticket so there is no turning back now :)

Greetings - I'm kind of lurking on this thread - I'm also booked on the Grand Princess TA in the fall or 2012 and I'm also Elite with Princess and I'm also traveling solo - we should chat :)

Looking at your past cruises it looks like we have missed each other by a few months on a couple of trips. I was on the Sun Princess 03/01 & 10/05, the Dawn Princess 10/04, Island Princess 10/07, Sapphire Princess 04/11. I have also been on the Ruby and Crown numerous times. I am hoping to find someone who enjoys cruising as much as I so that I can cut my cabin costs in half. Would be nice to be able to cruise twice as much as I currently do. (This year is 4, last year was 3.) :)

I see you Have Donna (Ethel5) as a friend. I sailed with her last fall on the Venice to FLL on the Ruby and she is doing it again this year I am pretty sure. Actually toured Montserrat with her, her husband, and daughter.

Paul:rolleyes:

I see you Have Donna (Ethel5) as a friend. I sailed with her last fall on the Venice to FLL on the Ruby and she is doing it again this year I am pretty sure. Actually toured Montserrat with her, her husband, and daughter.

Paul:rolleyes:

Small world - Ethel and I have been friends for a while...we actually did a Hawaii cruise together a few years ago, but her on the east coast and me on the west, we don't hook up that often. She is doing the Venice to Ft. Lauderdale trip this year and is also doing the Grand Princess 2012 trip - check out the Roll Call - she and Randy are there :)

Plane tickets were bought and paid for last week so that drama is over. We're flying into Milan on Sunday Morning and doing a little pre cruise Veneto tour. AJ and my parents have no idea that it is a completely self-indulgent Palladio thing for me disquised as sight seeing for them. Sssssh.

When is everyone else arriving in Italy? :rolleyes:

Plane tickets were bought and paid for last week so that drama is over. We're flying into Milan on Sunday Morning and doing a little pre cruise Veneto tour. AJ and my parents have no idea that it is a completely self-indulgent Palladio thing for me disquised as sight seeing for them. Sssssh.

When is everyone else arriving in Italy? :rolleyes:

I'll arrive on Tuesday morning and I'll be staying with friends who live in Venezia. :) I haven't been to Venezia in 3 years so I'm really looking forward to spend some time with them.

Have you planned some excursions yet?

Archived