alaska departure

jake69

Ya well not a shuttle, it is either a bus or the train to Seward! and you don't want to miss the train...it is one of those wonderful experiences that is very much a part of seeing Alaska!!! So don't miss that train it is the beginning of a wonderful experience!

Happy Cruising...

Well if you have regent air, like we did out of cleveland this fall, they flew us in a day early, because there was no way to make the bus to seward in time. Bonus, they flew us up the afternoon before and put us up in the hilton. Hotel and breakfast on them, and then a bus to Seward. Don't diss the bus, bro. We have driven it once (anchorage-seward) a few years ago and now we have bussed it this year. Both trips have the scenes (even whales from the bus this time!) and the road comes near the train tracks often. We love Alaska. This was our fourth time there. You can do it yourself without a cruise. What a glorious part of the country.

Jake, I have done this flight and in a perfect world you might make it but these days too many things can go wrong. Fly Air Canada to Anchorage by way of Vancouver. You have several options for the Vancouver segment but only one from Vancouver to Anchorage. It arrives in Anchorage sometime between noon and 1 pm (haven't checked the schedule lately). Overnight in Anchorage can be quite enjoyable. I was pleasantly surprised. Had a wonderful dinner at Simons.

May I suggest you book your flight so that you have at least a couple of hours in Vancouver as you have to clear US Customs there and go through Security again. This was a nightmare as there are so many flights leaving Vancouver for the US. I travelled with my three daughters. Two of them flew to Vancouver an hour earlier than I and my other daughter did. They were fine. Arriving an hour later we were trapped in Security with the plane ready to take off. Fortunately there were so many of us in the same situation that they held the plane. A little waiting in Vancouver is much easier on the nervous system.

Alaska is worth the hassle. I have travelled the world and Alaska is right up there with Antarctica as the best trips I have taken. I live about 30K north of Toronto.

Archived