Insurance

Spanky My

I always get travel insurance. I would much rather pay a little just in case than pay a lot later without it. I used TravelGuard on my first cruise and then Teavel Insurance International Through USAA on my second cruise. I still get confused on what I actually need. I don't want to get too little, but some of the plans have too many options. I was happy with both. I guess I was happy that I had it, but didn't need to use it.

Most important thing is to make sure you get the waiver for pre-existing medical conditions which also applies to family members in case you have to cancel. Do not try to convince yourself you do not have a pre-existing condition. The last thing you want to do is to fight the insurance company - they have way more lawyers than you can afford. For most insurance this requires that you purchase the policy when you make your deposit and the insurance is nonrefundable if you cancel your cruise before final payment. Also, make sure you get enough coverage for emergency medical and emergency evacuation. Read the policy and verify that the insurance company will guarantee payment for emergency medical and take care of all costs for emergency evacuation or you will have to pay up front (I ususally do not carry an extra $50,000 with me). Note that you have to contact the insurance company in the event of an emergency and they will direct you to a hospital and make all arrangement for emergency evacuation.

Hi Lois, I don't see any future cruises booked in your signature. That's unusual for you. :D

You could join us on our April 23, 2011 Connie cruise! :)

Hi Roy,:) I have CENTURY booked for May. I guess I forgot to put it in

there.

I am actually looking for something in Jan/Feb. April won't work for me

but thank you:)

I usually use travelex but after speaking with someone here have decided i will most likely use CSA since I can book them at final payment and still get pre-existing conditions waived. That is my only concern since I have a pre-existing condition.

I have used CSA for my upcoming cruise on the Millie in late February. Since my wife and I do not have pre-existing conditions yet, we were able to buy the "Custom" plan for about $140 less than the "Luxe" plan which does allow for pre-existing conditions up until the final payment. Most policies (even some of the ones that are similarly priced to the "Luxe" package mentioned above) have a 180-day wait period for pre-existing conditions which means that you must buy it at least six months BEFORE your cruise. It appears to me that only the CSA Luxe package has th pre-existing conditions clause mentioned above.

Don

I will check it out. Have a nice Thanksgiving and fun cruisin going forward...Spanky

As you are checking out the different types and companies, keep this in mind: we use travelguard because they were there when a friend of ours was in Cozumel and had a heart attack. When their insurance couldn't help them, travelguard was there all the way...from getting the medevac plane to making sure they returned home safely....and they paid for everything! So for this reason alone, we never use any other insurance when traveling out of the country.

Chris

how many folks buy it and if you do what outfit do you use?

We use Travel Guard. The thing is to cover a pre exisitng condition you have to buy the insurance at the time you book and give your deposit. If you buy the insurance at a later date a pre exisitng condition will not be covered. We have booked our 2011 cruse already and we have just been off the Equinox for less than 2 weeks.:)

I've used Travel Guard and Access America.

I NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT.

A few years ago dh's back went out a month or so before the cruise and we had to cancel the cruise and got our money back.

This past Sept. my mom was in the hospital 8 days before mine and dh's cruise and wound up getting a stent put in just 4 days before our cruise. She was home on Friday and dh & I were able to leave on our cruise on Sunday.

We hope to leave on another cruise next Sunday but my MIL has been in the hospital for about two weeks now with dementia and we were just told she

has a blockage in her intestines and if they operate she may not make it since she is 85 years old.

EVERYONE should get insurance since for an extra $70, $100 etc. will be worth it to get back thousand(s).

I prayer my MIL is well and we are able to cruise.

I don't go to the gym the week before a cruise since I am afraid I might get hurt. Especially in a Zumba class.

You just never know what can happen to you or a loved one on any given day.

I'm now a convert, and will not travel without trip insurance. I had taken trip insurance last year for a river cruise because my parents are now quite elderly. I never anticipated that I would be the one who required emergency surgery 2 weeks before the river cruise! On that particular trip, I took the insurance through the river cruise company, and had no problems with reimbursement. I have two cruises booked for next January and February, and insured them through Travel Insured, which is the travel insurance partner for USAA.

Archived