Cabin location and sea sickness???

jtdlmc

So I have cabin 5191 booked on the Legend which is an obstructed view cabin smack dab in the middle of the ship. After seeing a youtube video of the view, or I should say lack of view when looking aft because of the wall at the side, I'm thinking of switching to 5234. Cabin 5234 is much more aft. I have read that the best place is midship for reducing seasickness. This will be our first cruise, so I don't even know if that will be an issue, but I am wondering if it really makes that much difference?

We took our first cruise last month on the Legend and were in cabin 6218. This would be one deck up and five cabins forward from 5234. We found this to be a very good location as far as mid-ship and movement was concerned, however one negitive thing that we found was that these set of cabins had the balconies that jutted-out from the ship and boy were they WINDY. The last 2 days they were both windy and a little chilly as well. So even though cabin 5191 may have somewhat of a blocked view, the cabin next to yours juts- out and would give you a little more protection from the wind. Personally if it were me, I would keep 5191.

As far as the motion sickness, I am prone as well and didn't want to take any chances so I probably over compensated with the following remedy. First, I wore the SeaBands, they really did work and I would not sail again without them. Two, I took a Ginger pill with breakfast and a Bonine before bedtime. The last thing I did was put on a behind-the-ear-patch. This was more precautionary then necessary. We had very rough seas upon leaving Roatan and for the next 2 days which kept us from tendering to Grand Cayman. Our sailing caught the tail end of TS Tomas and the ship was really rocking. The night we left Roatan there were many empty tables in the MDR, In fact, there was an 8 top to the side of us and one by one the passengers got up in the middle of dinner and left the dining room. We felt fine and didn't feel seasick at all even though the boat was swaying. Some folks have reported that they had side effects from the patch and/or it made them sleepy but it did not affect me at all. I guess everyone is different. My fiance did not use the patch or the use the SeaBands but did take the Ginger and Bonine. He too was fine and did not suffer from any sea sickness either.

Hope this helps.

Just go prepared and have a great time. :)

Speaking as one who has been on 4 cruises and who always gets seasick without Bonine, it doesn't matter where I am on the ship. Sea bands (pffft!) I tried the seabands and ginger the first cruise I was on. By dinner time, I was so, so sick. I lost an entire night of our first cruise because I didn't take the Bonine until after I was sick. I have not tried the patch because, for the most part, Bonine works for me. I start taking it the night before the cruise and it works on relatively calmish waters.

I was recently on the Fascination, and the last day of the cruise we had rough seas. The cruise director had to cancel our final night's shows. I took a double dose of Bonine. I was still nauseated, and I stayed in the cabin for the most part, but I did not vomit. I ate white rice on the last day because it was all I felt safe eating. All these cruises (except for one prior) I have had a cabin near the fulcrum of the ship. I don't know if this matters for many who get seasick, but it doesn't matter to me. I can feel the ship moving almost all of the time, even in the calmest sailing, anywhere on the ship. I would NEVER cruise without starting my Bonine regimen (one pill at night) the night before. Usually, Bonine makes me drowsy, however, this past cruise it did not. Don't know why.

Long story short, for me it doesn't make a difference where we are on the ship, I'm gonna be sick if I don't take my Bonine. We are booked for next year in an Aft cabin close to the top of the ship, and I know as long as I have my Bonine I will be fine. I am just one of those people who never gets their sealegs. I am not sure how to advise you because on our first cruise, although I came prepared with the Bonine, I never thought I would get seasick, but I did. I'd say, at the very least, bring it with you. Good luck. I love to cruise despite having to take the Bonine.

Archived