re. Caribbean Experience - jabs

When I discussed the cruise destinations with my practice nurse last week malaria was not even mentioned which now is confusing and worrying me.

I will be visiting La Romana in the Dominican Republic three times, arrival, departure and the mid cruise full day. All the other destinations do not have any reported malaria requirements.

I was planning on taking a insect repellent but now have to consider those malaria tablets, Grrr!, I hate this conflicting or lack of information.

I agreewith you, dave. It's all very confusing. :confused: We didn't have any protection when we went to the Caribbean (Destiny itineraries) and didn't have any problems - until you mentioned it I didn't know that there was a Malaria issue in the Dom Rep! It certainly wasn't flagged up and I didn't think to check it out for myself.

We even did the Altos de Chavon trip at La Romana up the river on a paddle boat and didn't give the mossies a thought! :eek: (I can recommend it too - there's not much to commend La Romana itself so it's good to get off the ship and see something different.)

But I suppose at the end of the day these sites are pointing out that there may be a slight risk - and then it's up to the individual. There aren't any compulsory requirements, but it's all about how comfortable you feel about risking it. Talk about 'ignorance is bliss' - I never thought about it last time but having been alerted to possible problems now, I don't want to ignore it. As you say....grrrrrrrrrr!

I agreewith you, dave. It's all very confusing. :confused: We didn't have any protection when we went to the Caribbean (Destiny itineraries) and didn't have any problems - until you mentioned it I didn't know that there was a Malaria issue in the Dom Rep! It certainly wasn't flagged up and I didn't think to check it out for myself.

We even did the Altos de Chavon trip at La Romana up the river on a paddle boat and didn't give the mossies a thought! :eek: (I can recommend it too - there's not much to commend La Romana itself so it's good to get off the ship and see something different.)

But I suppose at the end of the day these sites are pointing out that there may be a slight risk - and then it's up to the individual. There aren't any compulsory requirements, but it's all about how comfortable you feel about risking it. Talk about 'ignorance is bliss' - I never thought about it last time but having been alerted to possible problems now, I don't want to ignore it. As you say....grrrrrrrrrr!

i've been looking at a few sites and i have found this it has a maleria map

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/caribbean/dominican-republic/dominican-republic-malaria-map.aspxdomrep.gif

It seems that in this world of litigation that we live in (no win no fee mentality) no one will commit to giving advice of this nature for fear of being sued.

Society only has itself to blame I suppose.

I have now decided to cover all diseases that I can be subjected to. (Well almost all ;))

I hope that the yellow fever jab hurts like hell so that it feels like I'm getting my monies worth! :D

ET

It does not hurt, sorry :)

Lasts 10 years I think and you get a little passport type book.

I recall people over 60 or 65 were advised not to have it.

When we want on the Panama we used the sight that eightto..... used for all the countries we visited.

After reading concens re Yellow Fever requirements for Dream cruise visiting Columbia I have been researching and trying to get an answer from Thomsons. My concern is the fact that unless you are going to be in a high risk area people over 60 are advisor not to have one. After many phonecalls where I explained to Thomsons that my GP would be unable to advise whether I would need a YF certificate to enter other countries following Columbia as it was a immigration issue and therefore the responsilibity of our Tour Company. I have today been advised by Lucy - Thomsons in Hinckley that Gemma at Thomson stated that no current requirement for VK innoculation for Colombia and that there would be no problem on disembarking at other Ports of Call following Columbia. She stated that Thomson would not have put an intinerary together with those sort of requirement (ieYF certificate) I did request that this could be put in writing or email but this has been refused. Prehaps other people should clarify this with thomson directly - who have communicated very badley on this matter.

Archived