re. Caribbean Experience - jabs

This week I went to the surgery for vaccine advice.

The nurse said that Yellow Fever risk was a minimal but was a potential risk when visiting Roatan & Columbia, as was malaria.

I didn't have a jab for yellow fever or malaria back in 2008 when OV toured the Western Caribbean. (Vaccines are £50 each).

The nurse suggested that I contact Thomson with regard to yellow fever as you may need to have evidence (certificate) of vaccination when visting other countries afterwards.

Thomsons wouldn't give advice as obviously things could change at anytime and referred me back to our GP! They just stated that it was our responsibilty to find out & decide what to do.

Before I go around in circles on the Web, has anyone investigated this themselves and arrived at a decision? I want to get off the ship at all ports after the Santa Marta & Roatan stops.

ET

The nurse said that Yellow Fever risk was a minimal but was a potential risk when visiting Roatan & Columbia, as was malaria.

I didn't have a jab for yellow fever or malaria back in 2008 when OV toured the Western Caribbean. (Vaccines are £50 each).

The nurse suggested that I contact Thomson with regard to yellow fever as you may need to have evidence (certificate) of vaccination when visting other countries afterwards.

Thomsons wouldn't give advice as obviously things could change at anytime and referred me back to our GP! They just stated that it was our responsibilty to find out & decide what to do.

Before I go around in circles on the Web, has anyone investigated this themselves and arrived at a decision? I want to get off the ship at all ports after the Santa Marta & Roatan stops.

ET

Yikes! I hope not! On our booking confirmation from cruisedeals it says:

Health Requirements: None So, I'd taken that at face value.

When we travelled last year on Celebration round Greece/Turkey it did specifically say: Recommended Health Requirements: for Hep A, Typhus & Tetanus so as it doesn't specify any particular jabs, I've been assuming none are needed for this one.

I read somewhere when people were querying vaccinations that generally speaking it's only really an issue if you are stopping in a place for a more extended period and cruise passengers were considered to be at low risk. Perhaps if you were venturing deeper inland (or into the rain forests?) it may be more advisable.

Isn't Roatan an island off the mainland - may be it's not considered such a risk factor. ?????

I think liberal use of Deet is a good idea though.

I know nothing however - and would appreciate any more info you gather. In the meantime I'll do a bit of research too. :confused:

Hi kruzseeka,

I'm sorted for Hep A, Typhus & Tetanus. In theory the risk is low, as you say we're at the coastal areas. Mosquitos usually bite from dusk 'til dawn but it only takes the one "rogue" bite. Personally I have never been bitten. I have used Lifesystems "Expedition 100" repelllent in these countries before. I also take garlic tablets daily, that may help!:D

My daughter got bitten quite badly in Isla Margarita some years ago and that was hardly deep within a rain forest.

I'm sure that someone will put us straight shortly. The risk is low, but my main concern is the onward travel and if evidence is required that the yellow fever vac. has been taken.

ET

IMHO Roatan is one of the loveliest, safest ports of call in the Western Caribbean.. it is indeed off the coast of Honduras, people are friendly and there is a lot to do. We usually hang out with Victor Bodden on one of his tours -- husbands in our group ziplined at his place and loved it and then we went snorkeling, to the beach.

I would definitely consider doing something there.. no worry re vaccinations etc. We were there in Dec. last year, no issues with bugs etc.

Your basic potential problem is the ship is calling at Columbia. This is in the yellow fever zone. Several islands in the Caribbean state that they need a vaccination certificate for visitors travelling from a Yellow Fever area.

Cruisers have reported that despite the above no islands have actually requested said vaccination certificate.

So you have a choice

1. pay the fee and get the vaccination plus certificate

2. go and risk being barred from islands as a potential carrier

I won't give my opinion but I know what I would do!

Thanks for your opinion davetheroad.

Those two choices were considered at the outset. The ports of call are chasing our business so they have assessed the risk I guess.;)

I didn't have any problem when we visited Cartegena in '08.

I think I'll just be talking malaria tablets.

ET

Hi ET (love the abbreviation!),

I've found a few links which refer to the certificate you mentioned but surely Thomson would put that under 'Health requirements' on your booking information if it were needed - wouldn't they? I guess you have already seen these but just in case:-

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/travel/caribbean.shtml

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/travel/south_america/colombia.shtml

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/central-america/honduras.aspx

What anti-malarials are you taking and do you get them over the counter?

Hi kruzseeka,

This is my point, if these web sites exist why can't Thomsons confirm this for us? I guess that as cruise pax we are condidered to be very low risk as we are only there the one day in the daytime and certification at subsequent ports is waivered. I didn't want to compare with OV but at this stage of my planning I certainly wouldn't recommend Thomson but I'm sure that the cruise will be a good one.

I am taking "Avloclor" , £1.96 per pack at Tesco's this morning.

These are chloroquine tablets the drawback is that you have to take two tablets once per week on the same day each week. Start 1 week before exposure until 4 weeks after. So if your memory/planning is poor you may want to take "Malerone"

You can get "Malarone" on prescription but dosage is less drawn out than the other tabs.

Host Caroline, I hope that they have fully sorted the zipwire at Roatan since that NCL cruiser fell to her death the other year.

ET

Hi kruzseeka,

This is my point, if these web sites exist why can't Thomsons confirm this for us? I guess that as cruise pax we are condidered to be very low risk as we are only there the one day in the daytime and certification at subsequent ports is waivered. I didn't want to compare with OV but at this stage of my planning I certainly wouldn't recommend Thomson but I'm sure that the cruise will be a good one.

I am taking "Avloclor" , £1.96 per pack at Tesco's this morning.

These are chloroquine tablets the drawback is that you have to take two tablets once per week on the same day each week. Start 1 week before exposure until 4 weeks after. So if your memory/planning is poor you may want to take "Malerone"

You can get "Malarone" on prescription but dosage is less drawn out than the other tabs.

Host Caroline, I hope that they have fully sorted the zipwire at Roatan since that NCL cruiser fell to her death the other year.

ET

Thanks for that, ET.

May follow your example and get the weekly version - not worth taking a risk if you can take fairly simple precautions.

As for the communications bit - you may well have read on here that it is a recurrent problem with Thomson regarding a variety of recent issues - but on my booking (for the same trip as you) it does definitely say 'None' on the 'Health Requirements' - not even Hep, Thyphoid, Tetanus (although we got them last year for Turkey as that was recommended, but not mandatory, for that particular cruise).

Don't depair though - once you get through the admin jungle, our experience of Thomson cruises has been great. From arrival at the airport it's a well-oiled machine and we have always rated the on-board experience: service, atmosphere, entertainment have all been excellent. Let's hope this one lives up to expectations! :)

kruzseeka,

Do you know if we have to endure baggage reclaim in Barbados?

I'm used to checking in at Gatwick and then not seeing the cases until dropped outside your cabin.

ET

When we went on the Destiny Caribbean and arrived in the Dom Rep - we didn't even had to go into the airport terminal as we were lead out of a side gate and straight onto the waiting minibuses. We didn't need to reclaim our luggage and, as with your previous experience, it just arrived at our cabin.

This flight included cruise passengers plus those holidaying in the Dom Rep so they would have had to keep the two sets of hold luggage separate.

I suspect that on the flights for the Dream Caribbean itineraries the planes may just be carrying cruise passengers(?) since they are on a three week cycle and therefore not in the business of leaving some people for a week's land-based holiday then picking them up the following week. Do you think that reasoning holds water? If so, then perhaps with all passengers heading for the ship, we may be spared luggage reclaim.

It would clearly be a much easier logistical exercise for Thomson than with the Destiny and they managed it then - so fingers crossed! :)

Your basic potential problem is the ship is calling at Columbia. This is in the yellow fever zone. Several islands in the Caribbean state that they need a vaccination certificate for visitors travelling from a Yellow Fever area.

Cruisers have reported that despite the above no islands have actually requested said vaccination certificate.

So you have a choice

1. pay the fee and get the vaccination plus certificate

2. go and risk being barred from islands as a potential carrier

I won't give my opinion but I know what I would do!

We've been to Cartagena twice and never got any sort of vaccinations... both in conjunction with Panama Canal cruises... ????

We've been to Cartagena twice and never got any sort of vaccinations... both in conjunction with Panama Canal cruises... ????

Vaccinations may not be compulsory and are usually advised. No one will make you take them if you want to take the risk.

OK , this is what I would do if I was calling at a port in a Yellow Fever area, even if just for a day. I would get the vaccination as spending £50 might turn out to be a better deal than the illness, in my opinion. I am not offering this as advice to anyone else because offering advice just means you get blamed if the advice was wrong.

I am going to the caribbean in January but not to a Yellow Fever area so I don't need a vaccination.

ET

This question was raised on another forum recently. I think the above point is the main one. I gather when Thomsons were asked, they clearly were not aware of this fact, presumably because the itinerary is a new one to them. The problem is that other subsequent ports may demand a yellow fever vertificate if you have previously called at a country prone to yellow fever.

I thinks it's a sad fact but you can not trust anybody and that includes the Cruise Company ie Thomson.

Its best to do your own research and judge what is required yourself.

We went on a Panama cruise with FO and they gave no firm advice just to visit your Nurse which we did.

We got the Yellow Fever jabs becasuse of the issue about visiting a yellow fever area, then moving on to a country that states you need certification.

We judged that paying over £3000 for a cruise we would not sniff at another £150 for jabs and maleria tablets.

Play safe would be my council.

Malerone are supposed to be the best tablets for no side effects but are the most expensive.

take it easy and have good time.

I thinks it's a sad fact but you can not trust anybody and that includes the Cruise Company ie Thomson.

Its best to do your own research and judge what is required yourself.

We went on a Panama cruise with FO and they gave no firm advice just to visit your Nurse which we did.

We got the Yellow Fever jabs becasuse of the issue about visiting a yellow fever area, then moving on to a country that states you need certification.

We judged that paying over £3000 for a cruise we would not sniff at another £150 for jabs and maleria tablets.

Play safe would be my council.

Malerone are supposed to be the best tablets for no side effects but are the most expensive.

take it easy and have good time.

Thanks for that - have now arranged to see practice nurse!!!!

Hi ET,

After discussing it with our Practice Nurse who checked some data base, she said Yellow Fever jab was required for Columbia even though we're only on a cruise as apparently they are 'day-time biters'! So, we're having the jab to be on the safe side. Anti-malaria medication also needed! :(

I know this doesn't address your issue with getting off at ports later in the cruise and possibly needing a certificate re jabs - but thought I'd just up-date you on what we were told.

Thanks though to everyone for their advice and input.

Hi ET,

After discussing it with our Practice Nurse who checked some data base, she said Yellow Fever jab was required for Columbia even though we're only on a cruise as apparently they are 'day-time biters'! So, we're having the jab to be on the safe side. Anti-malaria medication also needed! :(

I know this doesn't address your issue with getting off at ports later in the cruise and possibly needing a certificate re jabs - but thought I'd just up-date you on what we were told.

Thanks though to everyone for their advice and input.

when are you going ? and where are you going to? I phoned the nurse but they told me it was to early for my cruise in feb

when are you going ? and where are you going to? I phoned the nurse but they told me it was to early for my cruise in feb

Going in January - the countries where there MAY be an issue (don't know whether we're being over cautious or not) are Columbia (Santa Marta) and Honduras (Roatan) - as edwardteach's original post.

Was the nurse referring to anti-malarial medication when she said 'too early'? I don't think the jabs can be too early as presumably they are a once-only injection (I hope!:eek:)

Going in January - the countries where there MAY be an issue (don't know whether we're being over cautious or not) are Columbia (Santa Marta) and Honduras (Roatan) - as edwardteach's original post.

Was the nurse referring to anti-malarial medication when she said 'too early'? I don't think the jabs can be too early as presumably they are a once-only injection (I hope!:eek:)

I'm not sure she told me to come back in Feb ,little mistake my cruise isnt till april .I'm hoping its just jabs ,she asked were i was going .I told her a the Dominican republic and it was a cruise i think i might have to clarify things when i go .

I'm not sure she told me to come back in Feb ,little mistake my cruise isnt till april .I'm hoping its just jabs ,she asked were i was going .I told her a the Dominican republic and it was a cruise i think i might have to clarify things when i go .

Is it on the Destiny? (She sails out of the Dom Rep). We did this itinerary a couple of years ago and didn't have any jabs.

The internet sites suggested previously are similar to what the nurses look up so you can research yourself. If you google holiday vaccinations you will find several sites. Malaria tablets can be bought over the counter. They can cause side effects though and you need the correct tablets for the area visited. The travel site should tell you.

In Lothian you can go to the university travel clinic at Heriot Watt or Carberry Towers which gives travel vaccinations to missionaries and people working in 3rd world countries. They are cheaper than other places. There may be similar places in your area. GP Practices often charge more than the vaccination costs. Tetanus, diphtheria and polio (3 in 1 - Revaxis) is free to all UK citizens who require it and hepatitis A and typhoid only cost as much as a prescription (£3 each in Scotland or only £3 for it combined). The giving of it is also free.

I agree that if there is a possibility of catching something then it is worth paying for the jags. These are serious illnesses we are talking about.

Have a great time!:cool:

When I discussed the cruise destinations with my practice nurse last week malaria was not even mentioned which now is confusing and worrying me.

I will be visiting La Romana in the Dominican Republic three times, arrival, departure and the mid cruise full day. All the other destinations do not have any reported malaria requirements.

I was planning on taking a insect repellent but now have to consider those malaria tablets, Grrr!, I hate this conflicting or lack of information.

Archived