July 2 and/or July 9, 2011 - Star Clipper

LTCOP

I'm guessing you have a direct flight from London to Istanbul? How many hours does that take?

We will be taking 3 flights to get us to Athens:-) Our first flight leaves at 6:23 am on Sunday and we will finally arrive at 9:10 am on Monday. It is a long haul!!! I am not a good airplane sleeper. I guess I'm usually too excited about the trip:-) I hope I can get some, as I have a lot I'd like to do that day in Athens:-)

Pam

There is a two hour time difference they are ahead of us. We leave Heathrow at 8.20 am and arrive at 2pm. Star Clippers have arranged a taxi transfer from the airport. Unlike you I am good at sleeping on planes, especially if it is a morning flight..... a few minutes after take off I start to nod off! ;)

I was just checking my confirmation invoice and the flight times I just gave you are from when we were starting at Athens!! Good job I took another detailed look ........ We leave Heathrow and 07.10 and arrive Istanbul 13.55. I think I might ring the Travel Agent to see when she expects the tickets now ............

It sounds like you sleep like my husband:-) He always arrives quite well rested:-) Your flight schedule sounds much better than mine - but I guess that is to be expected:-) I just know that once we arrive at the hotel, I will be ready for a lovely lunch and some wine!!! I have lined up a taxi person for our varied transfers (5 times due to our flights connected with Santorini and staying a day on the end of the cruise). It costs a bit more than a regular taxi, but is nice to know someone is waiting for you. I would have used the Star Clipper transfers too, if we weren't doing all this extra stuff.

Glad you double-checked your flight times:-) And hope your TA knows something about your cruise documents! Your sail-away out of Istanbul should be spectacular!

Pam

Hi Pam

Collected our tickets from the Travel Agent today :D. Bought another few items to add to the packing.....!! I wonder if any other passengers will turn up - surely we can't be the only 2 passengers who read this board :confused:

Hi Meldreth!

I'm so happy you finally got your documents!!! It's really getting close! I also can't believe there aren't others and I doubt anyone else will show up at this late date. At least, we have gotten to know each other:-) Too bad we are not on the same ship:-)

We are sweltering in 95 degree heat here. I hope you can convert to Celsius - it won't be a good number:-) I'm hoping Greece and Turkey will not be this bad. Our last trip to Athens was extremely hot, but it was later in summer. So I'm hoping for something less than what we are experiencing:-)

Pam

Oh dear - it must be chilly there. I have been taking my walks in the heat of the day, so I am warmed up for the trip:-) And hoping it won't be that hot in Greece. Our last trip to Athens was truly miserable in regards to temps - over 100 degrees F. But it was later in the summer, so I'm thinking it should not be that bad this time:-) I just hope this hot weather system does not decide to cross the Atlantic and meet us over there:-) I do want it nice and warm so I can enjoy the water, but not that warm!!!

I think I will pull out the suitcases this weekend and start my preliminary packing! And on Monday, I'm going to order some Euros. I have held off as long as I can. But the market has not cooperated this week and the exchange rate has only gotten worse. Now it just has to be done.

Pam

Hi! It's time for an outing!!! We will be on the July 9th Tour from Athens with the Star Flyer. We will be staying in Athens for 3 days before the tour.

We're Germans so we will be coming in from Frankfurt am Main on Wednesday.

See you soon!!!

arvi

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Meldreth - I note you are cruising soon on Star Clippers and you live in Cambridge. We are Sandy and Kevin and we live near Stansted and we have been cruising for the last 7 years, initially on large ships, but more recently on the Windstar, which we love.

We are considering cruising around the Med with Star Clippers in September, but as they use the Euro on board, this makes the drinks and excursions a little expensive. I phoned them yesterday and asked whether they offer a drinks package on board (similar to Windstar), but the answer was no.

So, just wanted some feedback please when you return.

Many thanks

Sandy and Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

For Sandy and Kevin (Disney Girl). As you can see, we live in Essex. We have been on the Clippers a dozen times in all - Caribbean and Med. The Clippers are real sailing ships so, as you enjoyed Windstar (sail assisted), you should almost certainly enjoy the Clippers. The drinks (including the wines) on the Clippers are moderately priced. If you have any queries about the Clippers I will be pleased to try to answer them.

Archived