Godmother of Allure

Just cuz i dont want kids doesnt mean i should be subject to Holland America, Princess, or Celebrity. I enjoy the activites and atomosphere that RCL has to offer. They are marketing all 4 of the biggest ships that sail from the US to caribbean for families. Fine thats understandable since families spend big $$ on vacation (i'm a TA i'm very aware of that), but the ship has more then enough space to keep the activities seperate without having to be bombarded with it all the time (ie Dreamworks on Allure) The families have thier adventure ocean, pool deck, and boardwalk. Adults have the solarium, central park, and the entertainment place. the RP can be common ground, no big deal. I would like them to just calm down about this whole dreamworks thing, thats all im saying.

I dont think that a majority of familys would choose RCL over Disney just because Dreamworks is on board. They are choosing it because of everything else the ship has to offer, not cuz shrek will be on board. If i'm trying to close a sale with a family me telling them "you can see shrek on board and Fiona is the godmother" will not seal the deal with them. It will be "you have a rockwall, flowrider, put-put, iceskating, ect ect ect" that is what will sell the cruise (and has many times in the past)

And again, if you do not want to be around this type atmosphere then maybe this is not the ship for you. Kind of simple to figure out. Also, a PI cruise targeting the media and TA's is a totally different experience than a regular seven night cruise. At least it was for me. They are cramming a lot into two nights and it's really hard to get a feel of the ship.

I suggest that you look at some of the other Godmothers chosen in recent years and tell me what amazing things they have done in their life.

NCL has chosen Brooke Burke, Kim Cattrell and Melaina Trump as Godmothers. Two actresses and the wife of a man with a bad hairstyle.

Princess - Marion Ross and Florence Henderson. Richie Cunninghams mom and the Brady mom turned Wesson Oil pusher.

Carnival Cruise Lines - Mira Sorvino and Judu Dench. Both from the movies. Also Katie Couric and Paula Zahn.

Disney - Tinker Bell.

MSC - Sophia Loren

When it's all said and done, you could ask each and every person boarding the Allure and 90% will tell you that they have no idea of who/what the Godmother is nor will they care.

Don't forget Holland America had the Olsen Twins. That was one of the worst!

Back in the day Princess had such wonderful Godmothers and elaborate christenings. Princess Diana, Audrey Hepburn, Sophia Loren, and Margaret Thatcher. Those days are long gone, and now it's Captain Stubing! LOL

Ernie

Hopefully it wont get in the way from the folks that go on vacation to be away from kids instead of always around them.

Time will tell.

If my experience on OASIS and other RCI ships is any indication, kids will not be an issue. I've found the more amenities a ship has to offer kids, the less they will be in your face. Frankly they are just too occupied.

I don't have kids and I don't like to be inundated by them, yet I love Disney and many other ships that cater to families. The kids on DISNEY WONDER were never an issue. The ship had so many adults only areas, and again the kid's facilities were top notch so they were well entertained. The same holds true for OASIS and ALLURE.

Of course if you cruise during school Summer break or school holidays, you can expect kids to be more of an issue just because of the sheer volume. Cruise on the mass-market ships while school is in session and I think you will be in good shape. It just takes a little planning and common sense.

Ernie

And again, if you do not want to be around this type atmosphere then maybe this is not the ship for you. Kind of simple to figure out. Also, a PI cruise targeting the media and TA's is a totally different experience than a regular seven night cruise. At least it was for me. They are cramming a lot into two nights and it's really hard to get a feel of the ship.

we could go back and forth forever :D

IMO i'm not a fan of the direction they are taking with dreamworks and the whole godmother thing is yet another example of a step in a different (not necessarily wrong just a different) direction from their brand image which they have built up very well since the release of Voyager in the late 90's. With the "Get out there" "Nation of Why Not" and the "Delivering the WOW" are all great campaigns that build on the existing brand image. i'm on the fence about this one. Time will tell.

If my experience on OASIS and other RCI ships is any indication, kids will not be an issue. I've found the more amenities a ship has to offer kids, the less they will be in your face. Frankly they are just too occupied.

I don't have kids and I don't like to be inundated by them, yet I love Disney and many other ships that cater to families. The kids on DISNEY WONDER were never an issue. The ship had so many adults only areas, and again the kid's facilities were top notch so they were well entertained. The same holds true for OASIS and ALLURE.

Of course if you cruise during school Summer break or school holidays, you can expect kids to be more of an issue just because of the sheer volume. Cruise on the mass-market ships while school is in session and I think you will be in good shape. It just takes a little planning and common sense.

Ernie

Totally agree.

Lighten up peeps:).....it's a family cruise line and with the team up with Dreamworks it's actually quite fitting;).

Gotta agree with you on this. I like it.

Just wondering....when is the last time the ship's Godmother had an impct on someone's cruise?

Also without looking it up how many can even name the Godmothers of the other ships?

Godmothers? GODMOTHERS?!?

Is there any other aspect about the ship that affects your cruise less?

There is more impact from the colors or fabric chosen for the cabin bedspreads...and you don't see threads about that! How about silverware patterns? Or deck chair armrests?

Friends...these major issues have MORE bearing on your cruise than whoever the "Godmother" is!!!

I've been on near to 30 cruises now...I could not tell you who the Godmother was on any of them...

The ONLY time it has made any difference to me is when they asked it as a question at a Trivia session...and then, heck, it was one point out of twenty---towards a Key Chain or Luggage Tag...

Fiona from Shrek? Fine with me...

Let's move on to the next big issue...

Have they decided on what brand of soap to supply in the staterooms? Type of towel dispenser in the public rest rooms? How about a decision on what to call the drink of the day on Tuesdays?

I have seen people get worked up over some crazy things here on CC, but I think this tops it. :)

For anyone to get "worked up" over the godmother of a cruise ship tells me all I need/want to know about that person. LOL :rolleyes: :eek:

Godmothers? GODMOTHERS?!?

Is there any other aspect about the ship that affects your cruise less?

There is more impact from the colors or fabric chosen for the cabin bedspreads...and you don't see threads about that! How about silverware patterns? Or deck chair armrests?

Friends...these major issues have MORE bearing on your cruise than whoever the "Godmother" is!!!

I've been on near to 30 cruises now...I could not tell you who the Godmother was on any of them...

The ONLY time it has made any difference to me is when they asked it as a question at a Trivia session...and then, heck, it was one point out of twenty---towards a Key Chain or Luggage Tag...

Fiona from Shrek? Fine with me...

Let's move on to the next big issue...

Have they decided on what brand of soap to supply in the staterooms? Type of towel dispenser in the public rest rooms? How about a decision on what to call the drink of the day on Tuesdays?

We'll all know how to answer that trivia question now if it comes up. I need a new luggage tag anyway.;)

Gotta agree with you on this. I like it.

Just wondering....when is the last time the ship's Godmother had an impct on someone's cruise?

Also without looking it up how many can even name the Godmothers of the other ships?

You obviously missed the other thread on this...Apparently it's a huge deal to some people!!!!!:eek:

Just cuz i dont want kids doesnt mean i should be subject to Holland America, Princess, or Celebrity. I enjoy the activites and atomosphere that RCL has to offer. They are marketing all 4 of the biggest ships that sail from the US to caribbean for families. Fine thats understandable since families spend big $$ on vacation (i'm a TA i'm very aware of that), but the ship has more then enough space to keep the activities seperate without having to be bombarded with it all the time (ie Dreamworks on Allure) The families have thier adventure ocean, pool deck, and boardwalk. Adults have the solarium, central park, and the entertainment place. the RP can be common ground, no big deal. I would like them to just calm down about this whole dreamworks thing, thats all im saying.

I dont think that a majority of familys would choose RCL over Disney just because Dreamworks is on board. They are choosing it because of everything else the ship has to offer, not cuz shrek will be on board. If i'm trying to close a sale with a family me telling them "you can see shrek on board and Fiona is the godmother" will not seal the deal with them. It will be "you have a rockwall, flowrider, put-put, iceskating, ect ect ect" that is what will sell the cruise (and has many times in the past)

I sooo totally agree with you, that's what I am saying. I am also a TA and if I or my clients want the total "experience" usually it's Disney, and that's where I put them. I do not want the Dreamworks characters shoved down my throat and I'm worried that that may be the case. By next week, I'll know. Keep it for the kids and give us options, which RC is usually all about. I love the brand too much to go elsewhere, but I know that although I LOVE Disney, I don't know that I'll ever go on their ships again because of the fact that to me, it was WAYYY too much kiddom. Love having the kids onboard and all the activities for them, but I don't think Dreamworks would sell anything like Disney does. It's nice that they added this to keep up with the competition, I just hope it doesn't overrun the who experience and this time I'm taking a first timer who's older. We'll see.....

For anyone to get "worked up" over the godmother of a cruise ship tells me all I need/want to know about that person. LOL :rolleyes: :eek:

Reading some of the threads and roll calls for the Allure, I think that some now need to see a therapist. It's actually comical to read the posts. Between Fiona being name Godmother and the Dreamworks experience on board, some are going off the deep end. :eek::)

While looking for some feeback on a question I asked, I ran across this posting and so for what it is worth here are my two cents.

RCI may or may not have done this to compete with the Disney product - either way I don't believe they needed to do that.

The appeal to the RCI line is that they are not just focused on being "one thing" to one segment of the population. RCI is not specifically a family cruise option - they are many things to many different people. That is exactly what we have loved about them for a very long time and why we continue to cruise with them.

In my opinion, I think Fiona was a poor choice.

(On a separate note maybe I am missing the point of the cruise critic system, but I am not why some posters feel the need to insult people for their opinions.)

This is the real reason I am upset. Now, at trivia, everyone will be able to remember the godmother's name! Everyone will get that question right! ;)

Archived