Celebrity vs. Holland America

rmmm

I have sailed on Celebrity twice and stayed in a sky suite both times. I have never been on Holland America Line, but I am booked on Oosterdam for next January. Overall, I have been very satisfied with Celebrity, but I am trying Holland America, because their equivalent to the sky suite, the deluxe veranda suite, is nearly twice the size as the sky suite for the same price. Every cruise guide I have read says Celebrity is overall better than Holland America, but it seems like Holland America is trying to compete with Celebrity with their new Signature of Excellence program. This seems like a step in the right direction for Holland America, and maybe this will put Holland America on equal footing with Celebrity.

...it seems like Holland America is trying to compete with Celebrity with their new Signature of Excellence program. This seems like a step in the right direction for Holland America, and maybe this will put Holland America on equal footing with Celebrity.

Not going to happen. All this program will do is force the HAL crew members to put on an even more false facade of bliss. There is a noticeable difference in the crews and their attitudes on the X vs HAL lines. One of the first things we noticed on Celebrity was that the crew was relaxed and truly interested in what they were doing. They actually cared as opposed to chasing high marks and giving canned corporate responses. X staff appeared to really want to be there while HAL staff was forever fearful of less than good reports and saying the wrong thing which results in them "missing the boat" on overall service.

We have cruised heavily, like many of you, and just like to enjoy our total experience. Celebrity has provided this for us and we have no interest in returning to HAL regardless of whatever "new and improved" propaganda they produce. Unless HAL gets away from Carnival (which will not happen) it will be "same old, same old", which for many HAL loyalists is fine, but not us.

K

Celebrity corporate however is doing its best to alienate many of its staunch supporters. Read some posts on changing routes without warning... especially on the premium Baltic run.

There are other sites for this thread but I see little difference in the operation of either Carnival or RCL... both will do what they think is best for their stockholders... if they treat pax better on one line or the other... some will experience it, others will not.

Every line has cruisers who will say: "Never again on that line."

Celebrity pricing is increasing relative to HAL... for those of us sensitive to price per day will vote with our bookings..

We have sailed Holland Zuiderdam twice and Celebrity Millennium twice so thus will be my comparison. Millennium is a prettier ship and service I would classify as better although the Zui crew try very hard to please. Before my cruise in Feb, I would have rated Mill food better but now I feel they are equal. I have never sailed in a suite on Mill but did sail in the S Deluxe on Zui. You will love the room. Beautiful bath with double sinks, full size sofa, separate dressing room, most comfortable bed on any cruise line, balcony very large with two chaise lounges and a table with two chairs. Free laundry and dry cleaning with that class on Holland which provides for care free packing. Very nice suite luncheon and other extras you will find on the brochure. I found my last Holland cruise to be my most relaxing but my first Millennium cruise was still my favorite overall. I find both cruise lines comparable but probably would not sail Holland unless I could afford the S suite and prices do seem to be going up. Go and enjoy your Holland cruise and compare for yourself. We are all different and what you may like, others may not. Be sure to share your experience when you return. Happy sailing!!

Celebrity corporate however is doing its best to alienate many of its staunch supporters. Read some posts on changing routes without warning... especially on the premium Baltic run.

There are other sites for this thread but I see little difference in the operation of either Carnival or RCL... both will do what they think is best for their stockholders... if they treat pax better on one line or the other... some will experience it, others will not.

Every line has cruisers who will say: "Never again on that line."

Celebrity pricing is increasing relative to HAL... for those of us sensitive to price per day will vote with our bookings..

I agree with part of what you say, but not necessarily the price part. We are considering a transcontinental cruise from Europe to USA in fall and the best rate we can find is on Galaxy. It is much lower than RCIs Legend, or Princess. Infact Princess is outright rediculous on the price. I think often we can find the better lines at rates comparable to the mid priced lines. We choose Coinnie for a Thanksgiving cruise in 2003 because it was less expensive than the NCL Sun. NMNita

We have been on HAL 7 times and only done one Celebrity cruise although we are booked on the Summit this fall. IMO. I don't think you can go wrong with either lines. Both offer an upscale cruise experience from some other cruise lines, including some others we have been on.

With the recent upgrades HAL has made on their ships, new and better mattresses and bedding, better towels and hair dryers in the rooms and enhanced dining options, many of which we experienced on the Maasdam last fall, they seem to be trying to encourage people to see them as a premium line.

We have always had a good experience with both the Indonesian and Filopino crew on HAL ships and the dutch officers have always been surprisingly friendly. We weren't too impressed with the crew on the Zenith, our only Celebrity cruise. The waiters in the dining room were excellent but generally that had always been our experience with HAL dining room staff also.

Both lines have both older and newer ships so it may be and we hope this is the case that trying one of the newer Celebrity ships will add to our opinion of Celebrity.

After hearing so much about Celebrity food we were a little disappointed when we found it very similar in our opinion to food on HAL or Princess. Again this is an opinion but it was our opinion after our two weeks on the Zenith.

We did enjoy the Martini bar and it's sampler evenings on Zenith. It was a great way to try drinks that you don't get every day.

All in all try both and see which you like. I suspect you will end up like many people including us choicing based on price and the cruise destinations rather than the cruise line, at least between HAL and Celebrity.

Have a great next cruise.

Archived