Price of Manicure on Nieuw Amsterdam?

Berk987

You can easily see the price (but not the quality ;)) if you log on the to the HAL site. Same place as you would to to you on-line check-in, book shore ex and dining. 'Spa' is now an option. Looking at our next cruise, I can tell that some services would be less $ to book on a port day rather than on a sea day.

Hello, anyone know the price and if they are any good? Running out of time before we leave this Saturday to fly to FLL and no time for mani/pedi before Saturday. Thanks.

Gee, Berk, "Running out of time".....NO, REALLY !;)

Just kidding.

I've always wanted to get a pedicure but wasn't sure it would be worth it, quality wise.

See you Sunday

Pat

Our lsast five or six cruises, I started getting manicures and pedicures on each cruise. I think the price for both totals $80 plus tip or something like that. I've had some that were better than others despite them presumably all being trained to give the exact same hand/foot care but they've all been good enough that I keep returning.

I think they are fairly pricey and I get tired of them upselling. If you are in a pinch I'd do it....otherwise do it at home. I've gotten much better at home then on any ship.

Nice to read that I'm not the only one. The spa is the only place on a HAL ship that I have felt uncomfortable and "out of place" (if that makes sense).

I had a massage and a facial, and both I felt were overpriced, not of the best quality, and the product pushing was not pleasant. But, JMHO

I realize that only two spa experiences are not enough to fairly judge the fleet, but I doubt I'll try another one. But, YMMV. :)

I had the Fire and Ice pedicure (I think that is what is is called) on the Oosterdam in September and before tip it was $70 or $75. It wasn't the best nor the worst pedicure I have ever received. At home I can get an equal pedicure for about $20. If it is the experience you want then go for it. Otherwise, find an hour and take care of it before you go. I will be getting my pedicure done the night before we fly out for our December Eastern Caribbean cruise.

Thanks for the info. I'll try find some time before our Saturday flight. Or I can just do it in the htl room in FLL. Sometimes I like to splurge on a good manicure but usually I can't justify it. $75 means I could buy 3-4 outfits for my kids. Is that just me being a mom talking? I work hard (dang hard) and should do things for myself but something I think...with that money, it's 3 more swim lessons my kids could have or that's the price of a gymnastic class etc etc. so I cope out. OK...that didn't stop me today when I went to Nordstorms at lunch and bought a pashmina hot pink scarf for the cruise or that cheeta print cashmere scarf to keep me warm in the office, all under 10 mins (in and out). I figure I can keep those scarves for 10 years but a manicure only lasts a week. Sometimes mommy needs to splurge on herself but in a practical way.

Thanks ladies.

For me- the mani and pedi on the ship are just too pricey. Not the way I choose to spend my disposable income, others may differ in their opinion.

I have gotten mani and pedi's at local salons in FLL and MIA when we have flown in a day ahead. Check with the concierge at your hotel or google local salons and make your appointment before you even leave home. Much cheaper than on the ship. I have also found the quality at the local salon to exceed that on the ship. As Sail said, the quality in the ship's spa is inconsistent and (this is me talking now) on occasion so poor as to be totally unacceptable. The re-do was lousy too.

Either way- enjoy your cruise.

I think they are fairly pricey and I get tired of them upselling. If you are in a pinch I'd do it....otherwise do it at home. I've gotten much better at home then on any ship.

It only costs me $15 for an excellent manicure where I live and it includes a hand massage at the completion of the manicure!:)

All the spa services onboard are overpriced!:mad:

Save yourselves some money and have all your spa services done at home just before departing on your cruise(s)!:)

Thanks for the info. I'll try find some time before our Saturday flight. Or I can just do it in the htl room in FLL. Sometimes I like to splurge on a good manicure but usually I can't justify it. $75 means I could buy 3-4 outfits for my kids. Is that just me being a mom talking? I work hard (dang hard) and should do things for myself but something I think...with that money, it's 3 more swim lessons my kids could have or that's the price of a gymnastic class etc etc. so I cope out. OK...that didn't stop me today when I went to Nordstorms at lunch and bought a pashmina hot pink scarf for the cruise or that cheeta print cashmere scarf to keep me warm in the office, all under 10 mins (in and out). I figure I can keep those scarves for 10 years but a manicure only lasts a week. Sometimes mommy needs to splurge on herself but in a practical way.

Thanks ladies.

You sound like a great mom, and you do have to spoil yourself once in a while. I hope you have a wonderful cruise:).

Luxuries on vacation are not always a 'bargain'. :D

Everyone decides for themselves what is worth their hard earned money. I stopped using HAL's Salon for about 50+ cruises after a very bad incident and never have gone to the Spa to this day. (I've told the reason why previously on this board.)

After all those years and cruises, I have decided it is worth it to me to pick and choose what extra little luxuries I enjoy that I did not do for all those cruises and mani/pedi is something I enjoy while aboard. :shrug:

Archived