Just returned Uniworld Enchanting Danube

Jesterscourt

I returned last week from the November 14th River Beatrice sailing from Passau to Budapest and would be open to any questions for future passengers. The trip was amazing and we even had decent weather and some Christmas markets (especially Vienna) were up and running. The only glitch was about halfway through the trip, they added about 35 additiional passengers from a national travel agency that upset the flow of things, and lowered the average age of passengers, and increased the noise level a bit. It sort of changed the atmosphere into a convention. This is not a complaint and Uniworld has a right to market their product. I just thought it was an interesting dynamic that changed the tone of the trip for some. I will try to review some of the itinerary as time allows, and invite comment and questions.

That is interesting about them adding a group half way through. On our Oct 17 sailing there was a group of about 15 from Thailand. They had their own tour guide/translator on the excursions and table at dinner (even some different offerings at dinner). It didn't bother me, I just figured that that Uniworld was determined to fill the sailing. It seemed to be more of a challenge for the crew than the passengers.

I returned last week from the November 14th River Beatrice sailing from Passau to Budapest and would be open to any questions for future passengers. The trip was amazing and we even had decent weather and some Christmas markets (especially Vienna) were up and running. The only glitch was about halfway through the trip, they added about 35 additiional passengers from a national travel agency that upset the flow of things, and lowered the average age of passengers, and increased the noise level a bit. It sort of changed the atmosphere into a convention. This is not a complaint and Uniworld has a right to market their product. I just thought it was an interesting dynamic that changed the tone of the trip for some. I will try to review some of the itinerary as time allows, and invite comment and questions.

I would love to hear all about your trip. EVERYTHING!! :D

From the ship, your cabin, the food, the itinerary, etc.....

Thank You! icon14.gif :)

We stayed at Kapital Inn which is one block off the main drag, Andrassy Ut. and right behind the House of Terror and a few blocks from the Opera House and popular Lizst Square. I would highly recommend staying here to get the real flavor of Budapest and to get away from the highly commercial shopping street, Vaci Utca. When you are on the ship, you will have a few days of looking at the Parliament and Charles Bridge. You will also be docked over the bridge from the famous Market Hall. So I recommend staying further into the city. It doesn't get any better than Kapital Inn and the owner, Albert, who is expertly bilingual, will treat you like a member of the household. You will even have to walk up 3 flights of stairs as if you are staying in your own apartment (don't worry, he'll carry your luggage!). More info to follow.....Steve

We did this trip October 19 from Budapest on River Beatrice. We spent 5 night at the Hilton Castle Hill. It was wonderful. We walked everywhere and there are many cute restaurants and shops. We spent one day on the Hop on and Off Bus which you can get a couple of blocks from the Hotel. One highlight of the trip was a cooking class I booked We leaned some traditional dishes like Goulash, chicken Paprika, tc. It was lots of fun. I did a lot of research on trip advisor. The cruise was great and we are planning another for next year.

Marion, We are considering this cruise as a possibility for 2011. When you have time, let me know your thoughts about Uniworld. Also, how was the weather on this itinerary in mid-October. We cruised with Avalon in early October from Paris to Remich to Amsterdam on the Mosele and Rhine Rivers and the weather was cool but nice. We were quite happy with Avalon but I know that Uniworld has some good 2011 specials they are promoting at present. What was the scenry like on the Danube? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

We're booked in a Category 2 on the March 27, 2011, River Beatrice Budapest to Passau, and we are really looking forward to the cruise. We did this itinerary a few years ago on Peter Deilmann's "Mozart", but we both love this part of Europe and river cruising. so we're anxious to retrace our steps. I've booked several clients on Uniworld, with 100% positive feedback, so I figured it's time to experience it "first-hand".

We'll arrive Budapest on March 23 and expect to do quite a bit of exploring Hungary on our own. Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Merry Christmas!!!!!

I can highly recommend the Parliment hotel in Budapest. It is part of the best western chain. It is a group of flats that has been gutted and turned into a very modern hotel--small number of rooms. We were on the 4th floor in the fron of the building. It was immaculately clean, modern decor. Breakfast served in a very airy atrium. The manager was very helpful in getting us in touch with a colleague of DH. We hope to be able to stay there next December.

Remember, since it is a Best Western, they honor BW points. Pat

Archived