Will Splendor losses mean more 'cutbacks' on Carnival??

sharecruises

Do the math...the money has to come from somewhere...

all the refunds, the free cruises, the costs to reimburse airfares

hotel costs, transport costs...

then the (nice) news that Carnival was paying the crew and paying them what they would have earned in tips, paying for hotels/transportation etc for them

the cost of repairs

cost of all the lost revenue on the months of not sailing and giving people 25% off...

where does the money come from??

how will they get it?? Raise prices?? Cut back staff on other ships?

More work for the servers and room stewards...all the crew

How will this affect other cruises??

At what point will the cutbacks be so obvious and annoying?

how much more will Carnival workers "take"??? They seem to have too much work to do, and their attitude and service is suffering in many cases

somethings "gotta give" JMO

then the (nice) news that Carnival was paying the crew and paying them what they would have earned in tips, paying for hotels/transportation etc for them

the cost of repairs

cost of all the lost revenue on the months of not sailing and giving people 25% off...

Insurance?

what about the ship builder's responsibility too .. that engine shouldnt have cracked on such a new ship .. where did the motor come from? Id be looking at them too.

A lot of the expenses stated will probably be covered by insurance. Whatever is not covered is not that great of an amount, relative to the gross revenue of the company. They may have to revise their 4th quarter earnings downward, but I don't see a big deal.

Carnival alone has about 23 ships. Splendor will lose 2 months or 1/6 th of her schedule for the year. That represents only 00.72% of Carnival's overall sailing time Considering that most costs will be covered by insurance......probably including lost profit......it is a small hit overall. And....Carnival has other cruise lines / income to spread the loss against.

the cost of repairs

how much more will Carnival workers "take"??? They seem to have too much work to do, and their attitude and service is suffering in many cases

I think its a drop in the bucket. Yeah, to you or me its a pile of money but they wont sweat it much.

not really a business person, eh?

there's no "normal" expenses while the ship is "shelved", and then there's something called insurance.

and a free cruise credit is not worth the.paper it's printed on.

Why do you think this? I've already applied a 20% future cruise credit that I received on my last cruise to my next cruise. It save me $260 when I went to make final payment.

I've read where the people that received the free cruise credit have already started to redeem them and I haven't heard of there being any issues in doing so.

the cost of repairs

Can you please provide specifics of the supposed cutbacks that you and other claim have occurred? I have sailed carnival at least yearly for the past 6 years and find service and food as good if not better now than it was then. Your idea of "cutbacks" is nothing but a myth.

Can you please provide specifics of the supposed cutbacks that you and other claim have occurred? I have sailed carnival at least yearly for the past 6 years and find service and food as good if not better now than it was then. Your idea of "cutbacks" is nothing but a myth.

Add my name to those who do believe in the Carnival Mythology of cutbacks . . . and I find them to be numerous.

This will be a blip on CCL's next quarterly P&L statement. Insurance, contingency funds and revenues from the operation of its other vessels will more than cover the losses of having one ship out of service for a couple of months.

I'm sure Carnival is much more worried about rising oil prices, unstable currency exchange rates and lingering economic slowdowns than they are about this situation. If there are cutbacks, it will be because of those things.

I've been cruising with Carnival since 2002, 17 cruises, and the cutbacks are numerous~

Less crew= over worked and less interaction with guest

Less selection in buffet

Menu cutbacks in main dining rooms and slower service.

No midnight buffet

No full band on Lido

Continuous rise in drink prices to the point of ridiculous!

Thats just a few I'm sure other can add..

I've been cruising with Carnival since 2002, 17 cruises, and the cutbacks are numerous~

Less crew= over worked and less interaction with guest

Less selection in buffet

Menu cutbacks in main dining rooms and slower service.

No midnight buffet

No full band on Lido

Continuous rise in drink prices to the point of ridiculous!

Thats just a few I'm sure other can add..

We've never noticed or felt any sort of impact by any of these. In fact, no midnight buffet only makes sense, it was such a huge waste of food & resources. To be fair, maybe we should also note what they have also added.. such as the various dining venues/options, comedy club, farewell party, etc.

We've never noticed or felt any sort of impact by any of these. In fact, no midnight buffet only makes sense, it was such a huge waste of food & resources. To be fair, maybe we should also note what they have also added.. such as the various dining venues/options, comedy club, farewell party, etc.

There are no new dining venues.. The steak house has been there for awhile now, as well as the Sushi. If your talking Mongolian or burrito bars.. If you didnt have to wait an hour to get to either of those it might be a plus..

Farewell only took the place of the welcome party with free drinks, so nothing new there either, except they dont advertise the farewell party hardly so few people show ( on the ships I've been on) and the expense is less to Carnival. And the comedy club has only been recent and not on every ship yet ( that I am aware of). That is a wash as well because they have cut back on all the other live preformers..

Midnight Buffet~ Maybe a waste, still a cut back. People enjoyed seeing the display.

Any long time Carnival cruiser that is fair and observant can see the cuts. I have been a so called "cheerleader" for a long time and recommended Carnival for years.. Not so much anymore.

Why do you think this? I've already applied a 20% future cruise credit that I received on my last cruise to my next cruise. It save me $260 when I went to make final payment.

I've read where the people that received the free cruise credit have already started to redeem them and I haven't heard of there being any issues in doing so.

Not you. Carnival.

I think the levels of services and amenities are dictated more by the competition. I include not only other cruiselines, but generally all other vacation options (all inclusive resorts, airline package deals, etc.)

Carnival probably already provides the minimum they think they need to offer in order to appeal to a certain vacationing population.

In addition to whatever insurance compensation they receive, remember that there are about 30,000 cruisiers displaced while the Splendor is down. Most will book other cruises which reduces the cabin supply and increase prices. We have seen this effect with the group cruise that we have booked in May. We were told when we booked that there would be upgrades based on the size of our group, but now Carnival says that they are not providing anything extra for our group. They don't have to when the ships are full.

IF they aren't insured then what/? can Carnival come to this board and cry to the cruisers here for sympathy (sarcastic, I am sure they are insured)

however...there are cutbacks....the midnight buffet is an old cutback and a moot point, I don't think too many miss it

but...they really did not have waiter and assistant on my last (not great) cruise on Destiny...they had a waiter and some bumbling assistants that seemed to be shared among waiters...so there was less staff

cutbacks on the people to take drink orders

cutbacks on staff at the Lido

Even if they don't really have a lot of loss, they can sort of use this as a way to make more cutbacks ?? Just a possibility

Archived