First Cruise-Going to Bermuda! Help

VaBeachCruiser

Have been to Bermuda last May for 7 days and still was not enough time to see it all. So going back on Voyager of the Seas this November, however only for 5 days...bummer.

I agree with Swizzle, you have to know what loccations you want to see, find out where they are, so you can group them together and get in as many as you can in the time that you will be there. Doing your homework before you go will be your key to seeing the things that interest you, in the time you have alloted.

Any questions I will be glad to answer for you if I can.

When we go in November, rather then wait till we get there, as we did before, big mistake, we have already reserved our taxi tour over the internet with a company. I searched the Bermuda Yellow pages and contacted all that listed an email address. The one that came in with the best price was VIP Taxi Service at $35.50 an hour for a group of up to 4. He does not have a web site but a web address: lsmart@northrock.bm

We have hired him for 6 hours from 10-4. We figured it out and it will come to $54.00 for each of us. But that is for 6 hours of going where we want when we want. No waiting in lines at the Ferry or Buses.

Our ship will be docked at the Royal Naval Dockyards, so in doing my homework I found this site that I wish I had before. Knowing where everything is located is important. Hope it helps other sailers out there.

http://www.experiencebermuda.com/maps/naval-map.html

Taxis in Bermuda are nothing more than vans and they charge a flat fee whether there are 2 of you or there are 5. People get off the cruise ships trying to rent mopeds or small motorcycle type vehicles. We would have liked to do this, but they rent out so fast, they are gone by the time you get off the ship. We heard later that one person per week gets killed on them due to traffic and speed. Remember that Bermuda does the opposite of the US, riding on the left side of the road. You haven't lived until you've gone around a rotary (traffic cirlce) heading left instead of right. We witnessed "rush hour" traffic the day we went to a golf course and took a van with others from our cruise out to the golf course. The line of cars heading towards Hamilton is not unlike a parking lot--it didn't move. We were glad we went the other direction. Buses are the way to go. They do get filled fast and you might see one pass you instead of stopping because it is filled to capacity.

If you go to http://www.bermudayp.com and key in taxis, the list of taxi services will come up. They have their addresses, phone numbers and some even have web addresses you can write to them.

I wrote to all listed that were on the internet..and the cheapest responses I got back was from VIP Taxi Service. It was $35.50 per hour for up to 4 people. We booked them for the day we will be there. As for knowing if he is reputable, being in the yellow pages as a listed business is better then just picking one off of the street. We rented him for 6 hours, but the minimum taxi tour is 3 hours.

He does not have a web site, but the web address was lsmart@northrock.bm

His name was Lloyd Smart.

• 2 weeks later...
We are going in August and I was wondering what is there to do at night besides going to a bar, we are not big drinkers so going to a pub doesn’t hold much appeal. I know about Harbour Nights in Hamilton, but that’s on Wednesday and we are going to be in St George. Is it worth it to take the hour-long ride?

is it an hour from St george to Hamilton? or does that mean by horse/carriage? we're going in june for the first time and wondering what the distance in time is to get around.

is it an hour from St george to Hamilton? or does that mean by horse/carriage? we're going in june for the first time and wondering what the distance in time is to get around.

It's a 50 minute bus ride between St. George's and Hamilton. Bus routes are listed on: http://www.bermuda-online.org/getround.htm.

Scroll down and click on "buses", then click on the route (e.g. #10 or #11 for Hamilton-St. George's).

We made good use of our bus pass last time we were there, and will be buying them again this time. It's handy to have a schedule with you & I've printed out the on-line ones to take along with me.

• 2 weeks later...
I think Horizon has the better itinerary to correspond with Harbor Nights. We are going to be in Hamilton on Tuesday when they have it in St George, and in St George on Weds. when Harbor Nights is in Hamilton. Oh well, we are going to have to find something else to do those nights. :confused:

i'm confused - is harbour night the same as the festival night? and the festival is Tues in St George - I read on a Bermuda website it's on Thursday night???

I hope this help. I only got the schedule for August because that's when we are going, but I understand it is the same day every week during the summer.

http://www.bermudatourism.com/default.asp?page=what_to_do.html

Hamilton Harbour Nights

August 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 7:00pm - 10:00pm

Front Street, City of Hamilton.

Experience Bermuda's free, fun-filled street festival for the whole family. Every Wednesday night during the cruise ship season enjoy late night shopping, street performers, a variety of live entertainment, horse and carriage rides, local arts and crafts people, the extensive food court and a variety of children's activities.

This event will observe Bermuda's Qunicentennial celebration. Visit http://www.bermuda500.bm for more information. Admission: Free.

St. George's Market Nights

August 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 7:00pm - 10:00pm

Town Square, Town of St. George, St. George's .

Weekly summer street festival. Vendors sell only locally made crafts and foods. Entertainment, prizes, dancing and late night shopping.

Admission: Free.

We will be on the Grandeur (RCI) 7/17/05. We will be docked at Kings Wharf. How long does it take to get to Hamilton from there to see the street fair Wed. night?

If you take the ferry and can catch a direct route (check the schedule) it's about 20 minutes!

There is a new festival on Tuesday nights in dockyard/Kings Wharf.

7p.m. - 10p.m.

Bermuda's free, fun-filled West End street festival for the whole family. Offers a variety of entertainment, Dolphin Quest shows, glassblowing, late night shopping in the Clocktower mall and Bermuda Arts Centre at Dockyard, snorkel park, Maritime Museum, children's activities, local arts and crafts and Bermudian and ethnic foods.

Admission: Free.

It seems like Tuesdays are now Dockyard, Wed are Harbour Nights in Hamilton, and Thursdays are now St. George's.

Some folks may consider the $30 for a half hour too much, but IMHO it is a few bucks well spent. Been to Bermuda 3 times and have done the carriage ride 3 times. Going back in June and will do it again.

I and the wife find it very relaxing after dinner, romantic and you might even catch a few shooting stars. And what better way to enjoy a Cohiba, Romeo Y Julieta or whatever your fave Cuban Cigar is, if that's your thing.

BTW the scenery is awesome too as well as the sounds of the tree frogs. I for one would not pass up this experience. AAndd interestingly enough many of the coachman/women are from the USA. The last one we had grew up 15 minutes from where we live, made for a very wonderful conversation.

Archived