How do you get a free upgrade?

Do you have to book a guarantee to get an upgrade? If you have a cabin already, any changes of an upgrade?

When you book a guarantee, you are guaranteed to get the guarantee category or higher. So a balcony guarantee, for instance, means you may end up in any cabin that is a balcony category, or possibly a junior suite, grand suite, whatever. It's not technically an "upgrade" in the true sense of the word since there is a stated chance that you will end up in a higher category cabin if all the balconies sell out. Very different than booking a balcony straight up, and then randomly being contacted to see with news that you can have a suite if you want it.

I think that just like with airlines, these 'upgrades' are because a Cruise is selling well in lower categories like inside, but the more expensive balcony and suites have more availablility.

If they feel they won't sell thse more expensive cabins but are still getting enquiries/bookings for the lower cost ones, they bump up some into the higher categories to get more money in selling those cabins now vacant.

This is how I got upgraded to Club World on BA recently. They had a special offer to upgrade form Econ or World travller plus whihc I paid for my son and I. When we got to the airport they had upgraded to Club World!!! Then I assme they sold our WT+ seats as an upgrade to other economy passengers.

I'll second that. Latest Disney cruise we booked an inside but a few days before sail date looked at our booking online and found the room number to be an outside. As said because they wanted the rooms full so were selling the cheaper rooms again.

1. Find a virgin.

2. Sprinkle her with salt.

3. Tie her to a large flat board.

4. Carry her to the top of a volcano.

5. Recite four prayers to the Upgrade Fairy.

6. Turn the board around in a FULL circle six times.

7. Throw her into the volcano.

Good luck!

If it turns out she was lying, do you get downgraded to the most forward inside by the anchor under the stage of the theater?

D

Archived