Taxi service in Roatan

myangel

Just got an e-mail from VB tours, saying the manager of the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center has negotiated with the on-site taxi association to transport cruise passengers "over the Hill" for $2 a person. Since there are 4 of us, I would much rather pay the $8 instead of walking. Is the walk that far?

Just got an e-mail from VB tours, saying the manager of the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center has negotiated with the on-site taxi association to transport cruise passengers "over the Hill" for $2 a person. Since there are 4 of us, I would much rather pay the $8 instead of walking. Is the walk that far?

It was longer then I thought it would be. However, my wife and I are both 30 and didn't think to much of it. The problem is that there are no sidewalks. It wasn't dangerous but it is something to take into account. I would say if you are healthy it is worth walking but if you are older or in poorer health then it would be advantageous.

We had no problems at all with the walk, and actually felt it was good for us given all we had been eating & drinking. :eek: But for someone who cannot walk long distances or is physically challenged, the taxis are a great alternative. :)

We're talking about the hill at MB, right? I was there 3 weeks ago and there are shops in the port area, but not when you get to the hill. I didn't want people to think they can sit down and rest while going up the hill, because they can't (unless they sit on the ground).;)

We're talking about the hill at MB, right? I was there 3 weeks ago and there are shops in the port area, but not when you get to the hill. I didn't want people to think they can sit down and rest while going up the hill, because they can't (unless they sit on the ground).;)

I was there as well. As you visit each shop there are spots you can sit and rest... Not every shop had a bench...

you can even rest at the Fountain

I was there as well. As you visit each shop there are spots you can sit and rest... Not every shop had a bench...

you can even rest at the Fountain

Yes, I realize that you can rest by the shops. But the shops are within the port area. When you leave that area to climb the hill, there is NOWHERE to rest while going up and down the hill. Perhaps you were docked at Coxen Hole??

It is not a long walk!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't been since the new port was made....but my parents just went back a few weeks ago and my mother was quite concerned about it. She and my father knew they needed to treck up that hill to get to their VB Tour Guide. Well, they're in their mid-60s and although my dad could do it easy, my mom gets winded easy and has a few medical issues that could make an uphill walk difficult. They took their time and my mother stated it's not that bad. If she can do it........

Yes, I realize that you can rest by the shops. But the shops are within the port area. When you leave that area to climb the hill, there is NOWHERE to rest while going up and down the hill. Perhaps you were docked at Coxen Hole??

Your Right Linda.. Sorry

Your Right Linda.. Sorry

LOL! No wonder you were saying what you were saying!;) You were blessed not to have to contend with the hill...I wish Carnival still docked at Coxen Hole all the time:( I just know I need to go to the gym before I go to Roatan again!:p

LOL! No wonder you were saying what you were saying!;) You were blessed not to have to contend with the hill...I wish Carnival still docked at Coxen Hole all the time:( I just know I need to go to the gym before I go to Roatan again!:p

Linda we were at the new pier Mahogany Bay

I may just be missing something... All the Port Shops are on a hill. Then there is a hill when you leave the port. Then going to the beach side where the tram is...

108.jpg.41d615772a8fe53da1dc62a48d8d7ab2.jpg

roatan.jpg.7403e9c12beda1334c213974b6f931a6.jpg

Why should disable cruisers have to pay $2 more to get to an independent excursion. Why doesn't Carnival just allow the independent operators pick up disabled/elderly from the port? Sounds like its discrimination to me . . . Since Carnival owns and manages the port and are an American company traded on the NYSE, you would think they would be more sensitive. Wish ADA requirements would apply in Roatan.

Why should disable cruisers have to pay $2 more to get to an independent excursion. Why doesn't Carnival just allow the independent operators pick up disabled/elderly from the port? Sounds like its discrimination to me . . . Since Carnival owns and manages the port and are an American company traded on the NYSE, you would think they would be more sensitive. Wish ADA requirements would apply in Roatan.

Exactly - and Carnival gets a lot of kick-backs by keeping the money in and around Mahogany Bay. The hill IS difficult for the very elderly and disabled. People in wheel chairs and ones that use canes can't

get up the hill. Thank goodness VB finally got the cabs to take people up the hill. DH and I are mid-60's and we did it, but there are many who can't.

Thanks myangle for the information. At least we have a choice now. I can walk with no problems but have some traveling with me that have bad knees and hips and I'm sure they will be more than willing to pay the $2 ea for a ride.

This is good to know. While I'm only 38 and ordinarily love to walk and could use the exercise, I've had some sort of hip issue going on for about 6 months that causes me extreme pain when walking more than a few minutes at a time. Been wondering about meeting a private tour since I first saw the posts about this and was thinking we'd have to stay put instead of exploring a new port next month. Now if the drs. would just figure out what's wrong so I could get back to moving like a 38 year old instead of a 90 year old! :p

Linda we were at the new pier Mahogany Bay

I may just be missing something... All the Port Shops are on a hill. Then there is a hill when you leave the port. Then going to the beach side where the tram is...

Oh...no, that's not the hill we are talking about. When you leave the port shops area and go to the left to leave the port area, there is quite a sizable hill which you need to climb up (and then down the other side) to meet the independents. It's in the opposite direction from the MB beach. I agree that the hill to the shops is not bad...we are talking about different hills;)

AGREED! It's just not right. Nice that you can get a cab, but Carnival will find SOME way to get some money from you:rolleyes:

This is good to know. While I'm only 38 and ordinarily love to walk and could use the exercise, I've had some sort of hip issue going on for about 6 months that causes me extreme pain when walking more than a few minutes at a time. Been wondering about meeting a private tour since I first saw the posts about this and was thinking we'd have to stay put instead of exploring a new port next month. Now if the drs. would just figure out what's wrong so I could get back to moving like a 38 year old instead of a 90 year old! :p

I have the same hip issue! Makes me nuts!!!:o

Archived