botanical gardens?

island lady

We would like to visit the botanical gardens during our port stop. I believe it is a 30 to 40 minute trip across the island from Georgetown. Does anyone know if there is a private tour, or bus, or what a taxi ride would be?

We could always rent a car too, but a bus tour may be less of a hassle.

Any information on this park would be helpful too, as we have never seen it and are really looking to see the blue iquanas in the park.

A taxi would be cost prohibitive and the bus will get you there, but the wait to catch one to get back to town could be indeterminate, e.g. long. Renting a car or taking an island tour with the Botanical Gardens as a stop is probably a better bet.

As an example,here are two tours that include it as a stop http://www.caymansafari.com/adventures/, http://www.caribbeanshoretours.com/GrandCaymanIslandTour.htm and I'm sure there are others.

A taxi would be cost prohibitive and the bus will get you there, but the wait to catch one to get back to town could be indeterminate, e.g. long. Renting a car or taking an island tour with the Botanical Gardens as a stop is probably

As an example,here are two tours that include it as a stop http://www.caymansafari.com/adventures/, http://www.caribbeanshoretours.com/GrandCaymanIslandTour.htm and I'm sure there are others.

Thanks so much, TurtleTagger for the information and the links. I think I am leaning towards the car rental, and especially after your helpful information. The tours looked interesting too. :)

I rented a car and drove on the wrong side of the road in GC. Found the Botanic Garden and it was wonderful!!!. Could not get anyone interested. I was cruising solo on a Princess ship. Ironically, at dinner everyone seemed bummed over the overhyped and overcharged cruise tours and listened with a little envy to my tour which also included several other spot; the castle, blowhole, etc. Another poster mentioned the rent car place provides a map with all the interesting spots highlighted. Be sure to check out the typical West Indian houses. There are a few harmless and tame rather large lizards that walk around the WI house area. Don't be frightened like I was! The guy I saw had a few beads on top on him, sort of behind his head. If it was a human, the 4-5 beads would be on the back of the neck. So 'my lizard' was probably someone's pet! I'll try to find the picture I took of him and post it here. I took it because I knew no one would believe a lizard (iguana) wearing beads.

Take some time and pull off the road by the blowhole. I picked up a six pack of beer and drank one while watching the water. Even took a short nap. When I put my shoes back on, noticed little tiny foot prints and a line between them--another lizard!

Happy cruisin'

I rented a car and drove on the wrong side of the road in GC. Found the Botanic Garden and it was wonderful!!!. Could not get anyone interested. I was cruising solo on a Princess ship. Ironically, at dinner everyone seemed bummed over the overhyped and overcharged cruise tours and listened with a little envy to my tour which also included several other spot; the castle, blowhole, etc. Another poster mentioned the rent car place provides a map with all the interesting spots highlighted. Be sure to check out the typical West Indian houses. There are a few harmless and tame rather large lizards that walk around the WI house area. Don't be frightened like I was! The guy I saw had a few beads on top on him, sort of behind his head. If it was a human, the 4-5 beads would be on the back of the neck. So 'my lizard' was probably someone's pet! I'll try to find the picture I took of him and post it here. I took it because I knew no one would believe a lizard (iguana) wearing beads.

Take some time and pull off the road by the blowhole. I picked up a six pack of beer and drank one while watching the water. Even took a short nap. When I put my shoes back on, noticed little tiny foot prints and a line between them--another lizard!

Happy cruisin'

Now THAT sounds like fun!! :) Thanks for the review! We have done the left hand driving before, so should not bother us. I just need to reserve a rental car for that port day. Turtle Tagger gave me a great link with tour stops for what I am looking for too.

Thanks again to you both! :)

There are a few harmless and tame rather large lizards that walk around the WI house area. Don't be frightened like I was! The guy I saw had a few beads on top on him, sort of behind his head. If it was a human, the 4-5 beads would be on the back of the neck. So 'my lizard' was probably someone's pet! I'll try to find the picture I took of him and post it here. I took it because I knew no one would believe a lizard (iguana) wearing beads.

Those lizards are the highly endangered Cayman Blue Iguana - one of the most endangered iguana species on earth. They are endemic to the Cayman Islands - here and only here.

The beads are attached to help identify individual iguanas. Even many of the very little ones will have beads attached before be released from the breeding program's hatching site.

The Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park is the home of the Blue Iguana Recovery Program, a coordinated effort to stave off the extinction of this species. All of the blues that you see are quite wild.

Those lizards are the highly endangered Cayman Blue Iguana - one of the most endangered iguana species on earth. They are endemic to the Cayman Islands - here and only here.

The beads are attached to help identify individual iguanas. Even many of the very little ones will have beads attached before be released from the breeding program's hatching site.

The Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park is the home of the Blue Iguana Recovery Program, a coordinated effort to stave off the extinction of this species. All of the blues that you see are quite wild.

Great information! Thanks! :)

We have been to Cayman several times but never made it to the Gardens.

DH is not wanting to drive on the island

Can anyone give me an idea of how much a taxi would be to the gardens?

Would there be any problem with them returning at a specified time to pick us up to return to town or should we ask them to wait (seems like a waste of their time) or can we call a taxi from the gardens when we are ready to return?

How much time should we allow to view the gardens?

Thanks

Lyn

Archived