Earliest time to fly out of fort lauderdale after cruise on Allure

purple60

What would be the earliest "safe" time to book a flight out of fort lauderdale airport? We are sailing Feb 13-20, 2011 and I would like to leave that day, but my flight options are limited. Also any suggestions for hotel precruise?

IMHO, 11:00 AM is as soon as I'd want to fly out. If everything goes smoothly I think 10:00 AM is probably doable but, it's be to stressful for me to feel comfortable taking a flight that early.

Since our flight options were limited if we wanted the lower fares, we've decdied to take a later flight and take a post cruise tour. Sure we're paying more $$ for the post cruise tour but, it's not as much as an earlier flight was going to cost us, less chance that the flight time would have been changed to something we couldn't make (we booked flights early) and, we get a little extra for the $$ rather than just giving it up to the airline.

What would be the earliest "safe" time to book a flight out of fort lauderdale airport? We are sailing Feb 13-20, 2011 and I would like to leave that day, but my flight options are limited. Also any suggestions for hotel precruise?

Assuming the ship docks and clears customs on time, some additional things to consider:

• Are you eligible to participate in priority debarkation?
  • Are you willing and able to carry all your bags off the ship yourself?
  • How do you plan to get to the airport? Cruiseline shuttle isn't recommended for early flights.
  • Do you have status with your airline, allowing you to use a priority check in line and/or a priority line at security?
  • How many later flights are there if you miss yours?
  • Are you willing and able to pay your airline's ticket change fee AND increased cost of a same-day ticket if you miss your original flight?

We have walked off Oasis with our bags at 6:15 and been through airport security and at the gate at 6:45 for an 8:00 AM flight with out any problem. The only thing was getting up early. There is no "priority"; every passinger can walk off with their bags is they want.

Here is our experience from being on Oasis twice. Both times were off the ship by doing express debarkation(carrying our own luggage off) and at the airport by 6:40. Both times we were able to get on earlier flights.

With that said, I would not book a flight before 11:00 as you never know if anything is going to go wrong and hold up debarkation. We are booked out at 11:00 again in January. If we get to the airport earlier and can get on an earlier flight then that is a bonus but better safe than sorry.

I took a chance and booked a 10:25AM flight because if I didn't I was going to spend a lot more time in the airport waiting and I would not arrive home until much later in the day. The interesting thing was when I filled out my online check-in I out in the flight and it would not allow me to continue until I entered a flight time that was 11:30 or later.

There is no "priority"; every passinger can walk off with their bags is they want.

Priority debarkation is listed as a benefit for D/D+ members. (And maybe suite guests, I'm not sure.) Every cruise it seems like they handle debarkation differently, sometimes highlighting the priority benefit and sometimes not. On a recent cruise, someone was indeed holding back passengers at large until the initial rush of D/D+ members exited the priority debarkation lounge/breakfast and got off the ship.

When I sailed the Oasis in October, I booked an 11:30 flight. We did the express debarkation and walked off the ship with our luggage at 6:15 am and arrived at the airport about 6:40 am. When we checked in at the airport, we could have taken the 7:50 am flight home for an extra $50.

That being said, I wouldn't book anything earlier than 10:30 just in case something happened to delay debarkation.

Anyone had the option to do the express debarkation starting around 6:00 am, you just had to fill out the forms.

Judy

Priority debarkation is listed as a benefit for D/D+ members. (And maybe suite guests, I'm not sure.) Every cruise it seems like they handle debarkation differently, sometimes highlighting the priority benefit and sometimes not. On a recent cruise, someone was indeed holding back passengers at large until the initial rush of D/D+ members exited the priority debarkation lounge/breakfast and got off the ship.

On every RCI cruise that I have sailed, the first ones off were those using express debarkation.

The interesting thing was when I filled out my online check-in I out in the flight and it would not allow me to continue until I entered a flight time that was 11:30 or later.

That's strange...my flight is at 11:25 am and I was able to fill that in on my online check-in. :confused: Not sure why that happened to you.

You guys aren't mentioning how you are getting to the airport. When I got off the Oasis a while ago, the taxi line was insane! It was moving very slowly, and not enough taxis were coming in. I got the ship at 9am, so not too late. Finally found one of those black vans where they take you to the airport for a flat fee. I had a 12.30pm flight, and the way the taxi line was moving, I would have never made it.

Are you guys taking the RC shuttle or what?

We have walked off Oasis with our bags at 6:15 and been through airport security and at the gate at 6:45 for an 8:00 AM flight with out any problem. The only thing was getting up early. There is no "priority"; every passinger can walk off with their bags is they want.

Were there plenty of cabs at that time of the morning?

You guys aren't mentioning how you are getting to the airport. When I got off the Oasis a while ago, the taxi line was insane! It was moving very slowly, and not enough taxis were coming in. I got the ship at 9am, so not too late. Finally found one of those black vans where they take you to the airport for a flat fee. I had a 12.30pm flight, and the way the taxi line was moving, I would have never made it.

Are you guys taking the RC shuttle or what?

When you do the self debarkation that begins at 6:00 AM, there are plenty of taxis lined up to handle the crowds. Twice now and never a wait for a cab to the airport.

I agree with Irishgirl, there were tons of cabs lined up waiting at 6:15 AM at the side of the ship's terminal. We were through security and at the gate in the airport, both times, at 6:45 AM for an 8:00 AM flight.

I took a chance and booked a 10:25AM flight because if I didn't I was going to spend a lot more time in the airport waiting and I would not arrive home until much later in the day. The interesting thing was when I filled out my online check-in I out in the flight and it would not allow me to continue until I entered a flight time that was 11:30 or later.

That was the time that RCI gave me for the latest flight out too (11:30 am). I'm looking at cheap flights flying out at 10:55 AM and was a bit hesitant to book (some CC members had suggested it could be risky, but others have reported it was ok).

Did you just type in a time of 11:30 AM (even though your flight is at 10:25 AM) and it was then accepted?

I walked off the ship at 6:15 and I took a taxi to the airport. Plenty of taxi's were lined up, no problem getting one.

Judy

This might have been answered already, but how much was a taxi to the airport (approximately) and did they charge by per person, or a flat rate?

TIA!

That was the time that RCI gave me for the latest flight out too (11:30 am). I'm looking at cheap flights flying out at 10:55 AM and was a bit hesitant to book (some CC members had suggested it could be risky, but others have reported it was ok).

Did you just type in a time of 11:30 AM (even though your flight is at 10:25 AM) and it was then accepted?

Yep, I just entered 11:30 and on I went. I plan on doing the self disembark. We usually have a decent amount of bags but we can handle them all.

Yep, I just entered 11:30 and on I went. I plan on doing the self disembark. We usually have a decent amount of bags but we can handle them all.

Glad it worked out for you. If we book an early flight home, we will do the self-embark as well. I was told it might be hard to manage the luggage as we'll need to hold on to the railing? I'm not sure what that meant since I haven't sailed yet, but perhaps the CC member meant being able to have one hand free at least, while holding the luggage.

Archived