Discount for 3rd-4th passengers?

croozluv

I've only cruised a short weekend cruise with my DH, so I've never experienced getting a discount for the 3rd and 4th passenger in a cabin.

However, we're now planning a family cruise and many friends have been telling me that there are pretty big discounts after the first two adults in each cabin.....But when I look it up on Carnival.com, prices are the same for each passenger.:confused:

What gives? Is the discount only honored when booking through a travel agent?

Not sure if it makes a difference, but we'll be sailing the Legend in early 2012. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Carnival's new site new averages the rates between the 4 pax. what you are seeing is the 1st two pax are probably higher and the 3rd and 4th are lower than the average you see.

Why Carnival would start showing prices this way is beyond all of us.

I would use a big TA site .. try a couple and find one where you can dig down to the per person level on a particular cabin and see the prices so you can understand them. I think its Carnival trying to fool people with this new averaging stuff.

Carnival's new site new averages the rates between the 4 pax. what you are seeing is the 1st two pax are probably higher and the 3rd and 4th are lower than the average you see.

Fire- You're exactly right. I went back onto Carnival and noticed the price for 2 people in a cabin is $549/pp. When I changed it to four people in a cabin, it dropped to $449/pp. Guess they ARE just averaging, which seems weird....I would feel like I was getting a better deal if I saw a huge discount on 3rd and 4th!

Thanks for the insight! ;)

Try using this link http://www.carnival.com/cms/find_a_cruise/findcruiseA.aspx

It should hopefully bring you to the old booking system where you will see the discount for the 3rd & 4th pax

:)

Just tried it :) Averaged out the price as well. However, I tried using Past Guest specials, and it did give me the rates separately for the 3rd and 4th guest.

Cheers!

Sometimes it will be cheaper to put a family of 4 into two cabins instead of all in one.

Now we had 5 of us in one cabin because it saved us over 700.00 to do that.

But next cruise was only 200 more to get the 2nd cabin.

Upcoming cruise the 3rd & 4th in our cabin was only 269.00

sounds like for you-- 2 people in each cabin will only cost you 200 more-

Wow, sounds like I have some work to do to find out the "true" rates, and if it's worth my while to get a separate cabin for kids. Thanks for the input, everyone!

Does seem crazy that they don't let you know what discount you're getting for 3rd and 4th.......People ALWAYS like to get a discount. I know I'm still getting it, but just seems odd the way they do it....

Thanks again!

Daleswife is right...couple things to consider, the cruise and time of year you book can determine if there is or if there is a significant discount for 3/4th passengers. I know if we cruise in what I call the off season 3/4th are often 40-50% less but we cruised in the summer one yr and ended up booking our kids their own room as it only cost us $100 more for the cruise so well worth it as we usually all cram into one room. I think spring break, summer and christmas break are probably the time of yr when you might encounter very little discount.

Archived