We took the Sea Taxi over to Caye Caulker

Canada Rocks

I have to admit we were nervous about our stop at Belize. After much research we decided to take the sea taxi to Caye Caulker. It was the highlight of our cruise. After leaving the security of the port we walked out of the gates and right onto the streets on Belize. We met a local (Mary) who explained about the times when the sea taxi left and arrived. She got us onboard and promised she would come over to the island to pick us in time to get us to the port. We walked to the Split (maybe ten minutes) on the carless road and it was magical. Beer was $2.00, we talked to the locals and tourists and swam in the beautiful water. Sure enough Mary came over to get us and we arrived safe and soundly. If you ever get the chance you really should go see Caye Caulker. Thank you, Mary.

I have to admit we were nervous about our stop at Belize. After much research we decided to take the sea taxi to Caye Caulker. It was the highlight of our cruise. After leaving the security of the port we walked out of the gates and right onto the streets on Belize. We met a local (Mary) who explained about the times when the sea taxi left and arrived. She got us onboard and promised she would come over to the island to pick us in time to get us to the port. We walked to the Split (maybe ten minutes) on the carless road and it was magical. Beer was $2.00, we talked to the locals and tourists and swam in the beautiful water. Sure enough Mary came over to get us and we arrived safe and soundly. If you ever get the chance you really should go see Caye Caulker. Thank you, Mary.

We did that in our visit in 2004, it was great. On the way back though the water taxi ran into a storm and that was pretty scary, but all was fine in the end. I wonder how much has changed since 2004?

My perfect day in Belize would include the following. Get off your ship as early as you can to catch a Water Taxi to Caye Caulker. Research the Water Taxi times before you go on cruise and note that Belize time is an hour earlier then ship time. You can use the same taxi both ways or one each way, whatever works best to get back to ship on time. Give yourself at least an hour to get back.

Once at Caye Caulker proceed to the Split and set up camp at the Lazy Lizard. Lots of cold drinks at awesome prices. From there you can walk the Island to see the sights and have lunch. A very relaxing and stress free day. Water taxi will cost between 15 and 20 per person for round trip.

If you like to relax at the beach with lots of cold drinks on hand this is the place to be. Have fun.

Yes, waiting at the water taxi pier will be golf a cart taxi. All taxi will have green licence plates. You will not find any cars or vans. The walk is about 15 minutes. The taxi is about 5 min. The cost for the ride should be no more than $5 us each way.

We did this October a year ago on our cruise. We fell in love with Caye Caulker. Wandered the streets, looked at local art, crafts, etc. Spent most of the day at the split and the Lazy Lizard. We want to go back and spend a week on the island!

The Lazy Lizard has some picnic tables in the tide pool, and some other tables and chairs in the sandy area. No need to prebook. Just take the water taxi and when you get off at Caye Caulker, turn right up Front Street and head to the Lazy Lizard. I've attached some pictures from our day.

IMG_0815.jpg.059b001c6efc2d7b56cef6ae7217731b.jpg

1436048628_SSCruise065.jpg.5037375117c2a405ac7ddce844fcf0d3.jpg

1641478847_SSCruise059.jpg.a30d0c49adf00fcfd17b4a9ff0bdd1fd.jpg

1243972576_CayeCaulker3.jpg.26ad63799f5603b48c5121145ff70a1c.jpg

We did this October a year ago on our cruise. We fell in love with Caye Caulker. Wandered the streets, looked at local art, crafts, etc. Spent most of the day at the split and the Lazy Lizard. We want to go back and spend a week on the island!

The Lazy Lizard has some picnic tables in the tide pool, and some other tables and chairs in the sandy area. No need to prebook. Just take the water taxi and when you get off at Caye Caulker, turn right up Front Street and head to the Lazy Lizard. I've attached some pictures from our day.

Do you think a group of 18 people including children would like it there?

What is the Lazy Lizard?

Thanks

Does this place have restrooms & lounge chairs?

How would a person pre book this place?

Thanks

Rest rooms, yes. No on the lounge chairs...Well they do have two. Most lay out on a broken sea wall or on top of picnic tables that are knee high in the water.

PICT0023.JPG

This picture is The Split, The Lazy Lizard. The picture makes it look like a small island. But it is just the end of the main island that splits into two.

PICT0015.JPG

Are there many places to eat or is the Lizard pretty much it? does anyone have pictures of the beach area?

You will find a lot of fast local food in the Village. The Lizard has a good menu of local food with good prices.

You will not find the "beach " you might be looking for in Belize. The split is good swimming and some interesting snorkeling. Not coral, for that you have to get out to the reef.

Belikins are $4 Bz.($2us)

here is my album from a week i spent on Caye Caulker before I moved to Belize

http://travel.webshots.com/album/560574963dEktlm?vhost=travel&start=12

You will find a lot of fast local food in the Village. The Lizard has a good menu of local food with good prices.

You will not find the "beach " you might be looking for in Belize. The split is good swimming and some interesting snorkeling. Not coral, for that you have to get out to the reef.

Wade, great photos, thanks for sharing and for the info.

• 4 weeks later...

awesome pictures!!! You have a picture of the Valor and another ship docked. There are lounge chairs and trees. http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2364869180100107089vzubdN

where was this taken? Is this on Caye Caulker also? Looks like a great place to relax and enjoy the sun!

We've been to Caye Caulker several times. We have always used Coral Breeze - either included in an excursion or just as the transportation. When we did just the transportation, they dropped us off, we rented a golf cart, ate lunch, drank Belikins and drove around the entire little island. We had a wonderful time.

www.coralbreezetours.com

Kathy

Hey Wadethegringo - My family and some friends (total of 9) are coming to Belize in early April on the Carn. Dream. We are ages 47 all the way down to 6. What do you recommend doing in Belize - something that is relatively inexpensive and safe. My DH is worried about some of the things he's heard about Belize - but he is a chronic worry wart! We are really not interested in any of the ruins I don't think - something else. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I did the exact same thing five years ago. I liked it so much I moved to Belize. Had to move to San Pedro for work, but I still try to get to Caye Caulker and the split at least once a month.

Archived