Question on Sapphire Princess Dolphin balconies

Bernbun29

All, your advice is wanted. We have cruised Carib, part covered and part uncovered. We have booked the Sapphire Princess in April to the Mexican Riviera, we got a great price on a mid ship mini-suite (our first one!). I love the balcony but don't spend too much time out there during the day, but do at night. Princess assures me that the decks on Dolphin are like the decks on Caribe due to the tiered design of the ship. Is this true? I am not a sun worshiper so need some shade. Thanks!!

Dolphin Deck mini suites are FULLY exposed, there is no cover over the balcony. For a mini with a covered balcony, Emerald Deck towards the aft would be your only answer. Unlike the balcony cabins that have a half covered, half exposed balcony, you will not find this with the mini suites. You either have totally uncovered on the Dolphin Deck, or totally covered on the Emerald deck. ;)

As Toto says, you've received incorrect information. :( The AD mini-suites on Emerald deck are covered and there are only about 12 of them on this deck so they go quickly. All of the mini's on Dolphin deck are completely uncovered and exposed to all of the cabins above.

If you are able to get an AD mini-suite, make sure you have it marked "No upgrade."

Pam and Toto are correct...the Dolphin deck mini-suite balconies are totally exposed.

We were on the Sapphire very recently in a Caribe balcony which overlooked the Dolphin deck balconies.

At times it was embarrassing for us if we stood at our railing to look out because of some folks below apparently unaware or not caring that they were in full view of those on the deck(s) above. On a few occasions we were subjected to horrific views of the "family jewels" on one balcony as the guy sprawled in his chair and another had the laundry hung out to dry on a clothes line strung from the the inside corner to the opposite side railing. The first was ugly and the latter just strange and tacky. They brought the line and clothes pins and hung stuff out there like bathing suits and undies and even their beach towels.

We are definitely not voyeurs and would prefer not to see such stuff. However please be aware that Dolphin deck balconies are totally open and people will see you whether they want to or not.

I love the open balconies on Dolphin deck. On sea days I grab a frosty drink, a good book, lots of sunscreen and sit out on my balcony. It's quiet and peaceful and to me the ultimate relaxation in the sun.

I didn't think I minded our exposed balcony on Dolphin deck until we made the acquaintance of a couple at the buffet and the husband cheerily said "Oh yes, I was watching you work a crossword puzzle on your balcony the other day." Admittedly, not a big deal, but still.....

All, your advice is wanted. We have cruised Carib, part covered and part uncovered. We have booked the Sapphire Princess in April to the Mexican Riviera, we got a great price on a mid ship mini-suite (our first one!). I love the balcony but don't spend too much time out there during the day, but do at night. Princess assures me that the decks on Dolphin are like the decks on Caribe due to the tiered design of the ship. Is this true? I am not a sun worshiper so need some shade. Thanks!!

As long as you don't spend much time on the balcony during the day, you need not be concerned about sun and shade. Your balcony is completely uncovered; nothing at all like Caribe which is 1/2 and 1/2.

Archived