tanning sugestions pease!!

Hi all,

I am very white, almost blue in fact... and i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how i can look tanned for my next vacation.

I went to the tanning beds for about 4 months before my last vac and still ended up being one of the palest people on the ship!

And i've tried some of the tanning creams that promis not to look orange and blotchy... yet they still made me look orange and blotchy!

Just once I would like to look tanned....

Any ideas??

Counting down to VOS back to back Nov27 &Dec4

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;11;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Maasdam- 11/03

Maasdam- 12/03

Volendam- 04/02

Sunbird- 01/01

Married on the Enchantment of the Seas 01/99

A lot of tanning salons in the States have what is called "Mystic Tan". It is basically a booth that you stand in and a self tanning spray is sprayed all over your body. I have done this several times and have never turned orange. If you do this a couple of times right before your cruise, you should look pretty tan. Exfoliate your body really well right before you go. Makes for a more even tan.

You might want to read the Cruise Fashions board where this has been discussed at length. People using Mystic Tan have said it streaks and fades when you get in hot tubs or salt water. I like Estee Lauder bronzing cream - very natural looking. There are several more tips on the Fashion board.

I also live in the GTA, Enchanted, and have used Mystic Tan booths. Many tanning salons have them and they cost around $30 a pop. It is a "spray tan" and you should not turn orange if you follow the instructional video they will show you ahead of time. I also am quite pale (not quite blue, though icon_smile.gif), and did not turn orange at all.

--Jacquelyn Hyde icon_biggrin.gif

Read my Detailed Explorer Review!!

Read my Detailed Brilliance Review!! Brilliance "Hump" Cabin Photos (Room 9092)!

Click for aft Royal Family Suite (Cat AA) photos!

I am extremely fair complected. I went to the tanning salon 6 times before my last cruise. Not so much for a tan, but for a "base". Then I used 50spf when in the sun. I never burned regardless of how long I was out in the sun (first time!). I didn't get tan.. but does it really matter? Most fair complected look orange with those selftanners regardless of the product. Why look fake? Just worry about the sun and forget the fake-tan.

Maureen

MS Maasdam 10/30/2004

Princess Sun 2/27/2005

Mariner of the Seas 10/16/2005

Thanks you all for the help!

I didn't know about the fashion board, i'll have a look there also!

Jacquelyn I didn't know they had Mystic tan in Canada, I think i'm going to try it before the cruise and see how it turns out.

Maureen I don't want to look 'fake'... I just don't want to stand out... but I agree with you about getting a base. I didn't burn on my last trip eiter (for the first time).

Thanks again!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;11;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Maasdam- 11/03

Maasdam- 12/03

Volendam- 04/02

Sunbird- 01/01

Bare Escentuals "Faux Tan",is wonderful...it will not turn you orange or splotchy. You can buy it from QVC,or the Bare Escentuals website. The Mystic Tan,which is a spray on done at a salon,does not mix well with chlorine and salt water.

Enchanted

quote:-----------------------------------

Hi all,

I am very white, almost blue in fact... and i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how i can look tanned for my next vacation.

I went to the tanning beds for about 4 months before my last vac and still ended up being one of the palest people on the ship!

And i've tried some of the tanning creams that promis not to look orange and blotchy... yet they still made me look orange and blotchy!

Just once I would like to look tanned....

Any ideas??----------------------------------

My wife and I are white as snow. We laughed and laughed ,reading your post. We also have tried it all.

We stay out of the sun and gave up on all the gimmicks.

I just want to say it's OK not to tan and just enjoy. icon_biggrin.gif

Alaska (my BIG 50)Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;8;8;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Thanks Folgy!

I came back from my last cruise with what I though was a tan...but my friends just laughed!

At least I got to go on vacation and they didn't icon_razz.gif

Hey maybe we should start our own support group!

"Hi, my name is maxine...and I can't tan"

icon_biggrin.gif

Maasdam- 11/03

Maasdam- 12/03

Volendam- 04/02

Sunbird- 01/01

Try wearing one of those suits the divers wear. You'll look tan... icon_razz.gif

Galaxy 03/10/05

Serenade 10/30/03

Destiny 6/02

Monarch 5/99

Holiday 4/98

Tropical 6/95

Asure Seas 3/93

Asure Seas 5/91

Holiday 3/88

Ms Southward 5/85

I can completely relate. I am as white as a ghost and getting pictures with hubby is aweful. I am completely blown and and white where his color just shows up. And that was after 10 tans (booth sessions) in one month. YIKES!!

Anyway, I just started using Coppertone's Endless Summer Foaming tan. It's working real well. I think it looks good as long as I work it in evenly. The first time I had some streaking, but then I got the hang of rubbing it in multiple directions, multiple times and it has been fine. The Foaming stuff dries pretty fast.

Vicki

Check out my guide for first time cruisers http://www.vsn.org/cruise

Radiance 6/2002

Radiance 10/2002

Brilliance 11/2003

[/b]

LEGEND OF THE SEAS - September 26, 2004

Visit our Roll Call HERE

Cruise Europe 2005 (CC Group Cruise)- June 5, 2005 on the Brilliance

Visit our Roll Call HERE

Enchanted

Thanks Folgy!

I came back from my last cruise with what I though was a tan...but my friends just laughed!

At least I got to go on vacation and they didn't

Hey maybe we should start our own support group!

"Hi, my name is maxine...and I can't tan"

--------------------------------------------

I am just killing myself laughing. icon_biggrin.gif

My whole family and my wifes family could join us (starting the notsosunbunnies group) .We are the only ones sitting in the shade icon_wink.gif Can't miss us . We glow in the dark LOL

Alaska (my BIG 50)Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;8;8;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I use a tanning salon called Beach Bum Tanning which has several locations in New York among other states. They have a wide range of tanning booths for different people, one which has 50% browning and 50% redding.. there are also ones with 75% browning and 25% redding as well as 95% browning and 5% redding. I use the 95/5 as I have dark complexion to begin with and I tan rather easily. If you are of fair skin I would go in either the 50/50 booth or the 75/25 if you are medium complexion. I also use a lotion called Dark Sexy Tan ($49). The prices for this salon are as follows: 1 session $25, 3 Sessions $59, 10 Sessions $170 and there are many other packages available. This is a more expensive priced salon for the area there are others which offer tans for anywhere from $5-15. I am very happy with beach bum so ill continue to go there, and if you have one near you at least try it out.

Thx for all the tips guys.

JustPlayHockey21- Is the 21 in your screen name for a hockey player? My hubby is a hockey freak and 21 is his # also.. borjia salming (sp?)

Maasdam- 11/03

Maasdam- 12/03

Volendam- 04/02

Sunbird- 01/01

icon_biggrin.gif I've been getting the biggest kick from some of you snowbunnies replies. I call you snowbunnies cause of your untanned skin....not because you are from the north or whatever.

I've done all the above that all of you have suggested. The "Mystic Tan" booths streaked terribly on me and I did everything right. Gee, I had enough problems holding my breath through the process. icon_eek.gif

I have found one thing that doesn't not streak, leave you orange, dries instantly, and doesn't come off on your clothes. That's "Tan Towels" and you can get them thru HSN shopping network. They do work amazingly and I would highly recommend them....even my skin clinic sells them. Personally I don't do the sun...or tanning booths...cancer is to scary of a thought. This is my suggestion for what its worth. icon_cool.gif

TwiliteNights-

You're not a stock holder are you? hehe

This sounds too good to be true...(like that cream that makes your chest grow. icon_eek.gif )

And I had no idea what "HSN' was, so I checked it out and realized it's just like our shopping network in Canada.

Anyway, I did a search on the CDN site to see if they have the same product. Not only do they have it, it's a Show Stopper today(!)...kind of ironic. Maybe it's a sign. oooooh!

Sooo, I think i'll order some. If they don't work i'll give up and accept my glow in the dark skin! icon_biggrin.gif

Maasdam- 11/03

Maasdam- 12/03

Volendam- 04/02

Sunbird- 01/01

I have always burned very easily even in a tanning bed. Last year, someone suggested I try a "high pressure" tanning bed. I tried it and did not burn and got a great tan. It costs more than regular tanning sessions but I only use it a few times so I don't mind. I plan on using it before our next cruise again.

Terri

There is a chain out there called Hollywood Tans that I use - I don't know if they have locations in your area, but you could check their website: http://www.hollywoodtan.com

Their booths are the "stand-up" kind that take less time than the "lay down" kind. Another benefit is you don't get that line down your arms and sides like you do in the traditional beds.

They also offer this "UV-free" kind of tan, which I think is similar to the Mystic Tan process.

Enjoy your fair skin and stop tanning...you'll be healthier and less wrinkles when you're 60! :)

With that said, if you do Mystic Tan or Shake and Bake (tanning beds) PLEASE be sure to tan evenly, move around and distribute the color. There was a woman on our cruise who didn't and she had perfectly white half moons below her butt cheeks. (still laughing)

Archived