Date with Destiny - 11-29-10

blueshine

We just got back from our 4th Carnival cruise. We have read all the comments good and bad on cruise critic before we left, however, we love Carnival and went with an open mind.

The room stewards, waitstaff, bartenders, etc, made this a wonderful trip. They are really great and we love getting to know them.

We embarked out of Miami and everything went smoothly. We arrived early since we booked an early flight and got to the port around 10:00 am. They have a great system, no lines, no worries.

Touching on some of the topics we have read about before the cruise...

Yes, there is that elusive, infamous "sewer" smell on deck 4 near the doors where they do the muster drills, opposite the purser's desk. Not an area where you can hang out, but we did catch a whiff now and then. Wasn't always there, just every once in a while, certainly nothing to freak out about.

We did notice there was less entertainment on port days, but absolutely loved the new Punchliner comedy club. What a blast! We had 2 great comedians on board with us...Hank McGauley and Carl Strong. Go early to the shows, seating is limited for the R rated shows and people were turned away.

The main dining room menu seemed to be more limited that on our cruise last year at this time, however, we booked this specific cruise because it was cheap. So perhaps it's more of a "you get what you pay for" when booking cruises?? Overall, the food was good and quite frankly anyone who cooks your meals all day and night, how can you really go wrong?

There were long lines in the buffet area. Specifically on the at sea days. So, we selected the grill, pizza, deli or chinese (Happy Valley) if it was really busy. Though they did set up extra omelet stations throughout the buffet area than we have seen on previous cruises, so someone at Carnival has been listening to requests.

We had basically calm weather, however, we found the Destiny to have a lot of movement. We have cruised through storms on previous cruises and didn't have as much motion. Perhaps because it is an older ship.

You were able to see that the Destiny is an older ship, however, there was always someone keeping her beautiful while on the seas and in every port. They are always maintaining this ship and taking good care of her.

Overall, we had a great time and went with an open mind and no worries. So, kick back and enjoy...leave your pickiness at home and be grateful there is someone at your beck and call all week. And as Hank said, "Once you get home, Felipe won't be there to pick up your towel", so enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!:D

I have sailed on Destiny 3 times in 3 years. (I might have chosen another ship, but all 3 were Rick Springfield cruises on the Destiny). We have had 2 inside cabins (deck 1 and deck 7) and 1 balcony cabin (deck 6). I completely agree that the staff make the Destiny a great ship. The decor may be dated and the layout odd, but I honestly don't have a complaint that would prevent me from sailing on her again. (In fact, we are planning on booking another Rick cruise on her for next November to Ochos Rios and Grand Cayman).

I have never noticed the infamous odor. The food is quite good and some meals in the dining room were excellent.

I agree...cruise with an open mind and enjoy yourself!!

We just got back from our 4th Carnival cruise. We have read all the comments good and bad on cruise critic before we left, however, we love Carnival and went with an open mind.

The room stewards, waitstaff, bartenders, etc, made this a wonderful trip. They are really great and we love getting to know them.

We embarked out of Miami and everything went smoothly. We arrived early since we booked an early flight and got to the port around 10:00 am. They have a great system, no lines, no worries.

Touching on some of the topics we have read about before the cruise...

Yes, there is that elusive, infamous "sewer" smell on deck 4 near the doors where they do the muster drills, opposite the purser's desk. Not an area where you can hang out, but we did catch a whiff now and then. Wasn't always there, just every once in a while, certainly nothing to freak out about.

We did notice there was less entertainment on port days, but absolutely loved the new Punchliner comedy club. What a blast! We had 2 great comedians on board with us...Hank McGauley and Carl Strong. Go early to the shows, seating is limited for the R rated shows and people were turned away.

The main dining room menu seemed to be more limited that on our cruise last year at this time, however, we booked this specific cruise because it was cheap. So perhaps it's more of a "you get what you pay for" when booking cruises?? Overall, the food was good and quite frankly anyone who cooks your meals all day and night, how can you really go wrong?

There were long lines in the buffet area. Specifically on the at sea days. So, we selected the grill, pizza, deli or chinese (Happy Valley) if it was really busy. Though they did set up extra omelet stations throughout the buffet area than we have seen on previous cruises, so someone at Carnival has been listening to requests.

We had basically calm weather, however, we found the Destiny to have a lot of movement. We have cruised through storms on previous cruises and didn't have as much motion. Perhaps because it is an older ship.

You were able to see that the Destiny is an older ship, however, there was always someone keeping her beautiful while on the seas and in every port. They are always maintaining this ship and taking good care of her.

Overall, we had a great time and went with an open mind and no worries. So, kick back and enjoy...leave your pickiness at home and be grateful there is someone at your beck and call all week. And as Hank said, "Once you get home, Felipe won't be there to pick up your towel", so enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!:D

Glad you had a great time........we sailed the Destiny in her first year,1996

Glad you had a great time........we sailed the Destiny in her first year,1996

My wife and I were on the same cruise and we had a blast. It was our honeymoon. I really don't understand some of the criticisms I have heard about this ship.

I will never forget the line from the comedian Carl Strong...

"Take some food, put it on your plate.....KEEP ON MOVING!!!!!"

:)

I will be on the 4th Rick Springfield cruise and have been on all 3 of the others. We don't get to do much of the things the Carnival offers because of all the Rick stuff that is going on. But did get to go to the Past guest party and did see a show. They were great. I did smell something but forgot what deck. Food was great and they bent over backwards for us I did get my sweet potato. I wish they would try another ship and another port. I really don't like driving in Miami but I will go if Rick is on board. I live and work close the port Canaveral a lot easier port to get in and out of

Archived