E1 to D1

Looking some opinions please.

We have a E1 type Balcony on IoS with a pullman. 2 adults and a 14 year old.

Now with 2 weeks before final payment we are wondering if we should try and change the cabin to a D1. I know this will have sofabed and it is slightly bigger cabin and smaller balcony. It is worth the expense of changing it ? Not sure yet how much it will cost as have to check with TA tomorrow but really unless we were getting a lot of difference for the money I do wonder if we should bother changing .

thanks

I've stayed in an E1 and a D1, and the size difference is small. I wouldn't bother to make the change between the two just for the ever-so-slightly larger cabin.

Would the 14-year old rather sleep on a sofa bed or a Pullman? I would make a change to accomodate his or her sleeping preferences.

I personally would care much more about the cabin location than E1 vs. D1. With three people in one cabin, I'd be tempted to choose a cabin near the gym (for the sake of the showers), or I'd choose a cabin near a public restroom (to avoid waiting while someone's in the shower).

I've stayed in an E1 and a D1, and the size difference is small. I wouldn't bother to make the change between the two just for the ever-so-slightly larger cabin.

Would the 14-year old rather sleep on a sofa bed or a Pullman? I would make a change to accomodate his or her sleeping preferences.

I personally would care much more about the cabin location than E1 vs. D1. With three people in one cabin, I'd be tempted to choose a cabin near the gym (for the sake of the showers), or I'd choose a cabin near a public restroom (to avoid waiting while someone's in the shower).

He is happy enough with the pullman, well we never really gave him the option . Never though of using the showers in gym , did not realise you could do that but public rest rooms is good. will go check that out. To be honest though we only have one bathroom in our house and the toilet is in there along with the shower and sometimes 6 people in house so are used to that but lol

I think maybe changing same typr of cabin to to one with sofe may be better, do not want to mention it to son until I see if it can be changed.

thanks for reply

doemichael, there is an advantage to keeping your E cabin.

When the pullman bed is "down", in nighttime sleeping position, it doesn't affect your floor space or ability to move about the cabin.

In a D cabin, when the (larger) sofa is pulled out into sleeping position, you lose most of your floor space, and moving about the cabin is not so easy, particularly in the dark.

Since he doesn't mind the pullman (my son at 14 really liked it), keep the E.

JMO. :)

Doemichael,

I did some checking, on your cruise. There is an Aft corner balcony available, 7708. If you want more space on the balcony, I'd really recommend trying to change to that cabin! The balcony is huge, if you don't mind a little obstruction from the aft. The cabin is the same size, but the I would much rather have a larger balcony than a larger cabin.

5235506565_885fa435c4.jpg

54797dscf3334a

5235506339_e096a6d282.jpg

16828dscf3244

5236098458_a5e478fa99.jpg

78888dscf3245

*I found these pics on the internet, I did not take them

In a D cabin, when the (larger) sofa is pulled out into sleeping position, you lose most of your floor space, and moving about the cabin is not so easy, particularly in the dark.

this was our original thinking when we booked the cabin with the pullman. Just starting to panic now in case I have made wrong choice.

Doemichael,

I did some checking, on your cruise. There is an Aft corner balcony available, 7708. If you want more space on the balcony, I'd really recommend trying to change to that cabin! The balcony is huge, if you don't mind a little obstruction from the aft. The cabin is the same size, but the I would much rather have a larger balcony than a larger cabin.

5235506565_885fa435c4.jpg

54797dscf3334a

5235506339_e096a6d282.jpg

16828dscf3244

5236098458_a5e478fa99.jpg

78888dscf3245

*I found these pics on the internet, I did not take them

thanks for the info. We stayed in JS aft 2 years ago and loved the big balcony. off to check the cabin out. thanks for the help :-)

Called at TA this morning and she called RC and to change from E1 to D1 would be £340 which is about $500 so just staying where we are.

No cabins with sofa bed available in our grade of cabin she said so only way to get sofabed is to got to D1.

Thanks again for replies

Having sailed both, the important question I would ask myself is which available cabin had the better location. I did not see enough of a size difference to justify a $500.00 in your case. If it was $50.00 or around there, Yes maybe for the slightly larger floor space, but if the E1 was a hump or midship and the D1 was forward, I'm going with E1 all day on that one.

Good Choice to stay where you are.

Enjoy your cruise

I'm glad to hear that you did not switch cabins. Our son, who was 15 at the time, slept on the pullman bed, and loved it. It was very very comfortable.

He has slept on many many sofabeds during our travels, and he would prefer the pullman hands down!! No springs or bars to poke through!

You'll have a great trip! Good Luck!

Having sailed both, the important question I would ask myself is which available cabin had the better location. I did not see enough of a size difference to justify a $500.00 in your case. If it was $50.00 or around there, Yes maybe for the slightly larger floor space, but if the E1 was a hump or midship and the D1 was forward, I'm going with E1 all day on that one.

Good Choice to stay where you are.

Enjoy your cruise

I did not even get as far as asking where the D1 cabin was once I heard the price that was enough to make me say no lol

I'm glad to hear that you did not switch cabins. Our son, who was 15 at the time, slept on the pullman bed, and loved it. It was very very comfortable.

He has slept on many many sofabeds during our travels, and he would prefer the pullman hands down!! No springs or bars to poke through!

You'll have a great trip! Good Luck!

thanks for that, he knows no different so will be fine. We have stayed in a JS with 4 people and an inside with 2 so just working our way around the different cabins lol

Looking some opinions please.

We have a E1 type Balcony on IoS with a pullman. 2 adults and a 14 year old.

Now with 2 weeks before final payment we are wondering if we should try and change the cabin to a D1. I know this will have sofabed and it is slightly bigger cabin and smaller balcony. It is worth the expense of changing it ? Not sure yet how much it will cost as have to check with TA tomorrow but really unless we were getting a lot of difference for the money I do wonder if we should bother changing .

thanks

Doemichael,

CodyC is right,doemichael.

RUN to your TA and ask to be switched into 7708 NOW!!!!

You will not be sorry.

We have had "this" cabin 3 times. We have it again on the Independence in April.

GRAB IT.

CodyC is right,doemichael.

RUN to your TA and ask to be switched into 7708 NOW!!!!

You will not be sorry.

We have had "this" cabin 3 times. We have it again on the Independence in April.

GRAB IT.

When I checked the corner on the other side was available too, just in case.

I just hope that doemichael comes back and sees the information in a timely fashion, and that being in Ireland doesn't work to his disadvantage. I know that RC's rules are different in the U.K.

When I checked the corner on the other side was available too, just in case.

thanks guys but from what I can see these cabins still have pullman, would not want to change unlessit was to one with sofabed. I know the balcony is bigger, we have been in JS AFT before but for same cabin prefer the location we have.

Thanks anyway. :)

Archived