I'm a "foodie" but some people take the food obsession to a whole new level.

I don't think you should have to use the speciality dinning rooms just to get a good meal.

Given I've only been on a Disney cruise and have a Carnival cruise booked, but I'm looking forward to good meals on board.

heck 5 nights of not having to cook sounds pretty good to me. :p

I am a foodie and so is my 4.5 year old. I just got off the Freedom of the Seas on Dec 2. The food is not spectacular, but look how many folks they are cooking for. We had some meals that were good like the prime rib and some that were bad. The sea bass was horrible I have seen pics of it on the boards but what they served me was not Seas Bass. I don’t know who they thought they were fooling but that was no sea bass that they gave me on the first night. I politely pushed it to the side and ate the prime rib. So it’s not like you’re stuck with a bad meal if you don’t like it order something else. Food is a big part of a cruise but not the thing that will ruin a cruise. Running out of hot water, no washcloths are towels the electricity goes out, unable to flush your toilet, pools closed, bad weather, Jacuzzis broken, all elevators out of order, shows canceled, ports closed, and locked in your room would be some little things that could ruin a cruise. For the life of me, I do not understand how we could be sailing on a salty sea and there was no salt used on the food just joking, I just like flavorful food so when we sail again I will bring along my house seasoning and will sprinkle accordingly. I cannot for the life of me understand those that have said that the food is so terrible and that they starved....... I would like to know where and what they were eating because the food is not that bad, just old fashioned wedding banquet food and it aint that bad!!!!

Some of my "qualifications":

- If I wasn't doing what I am right now, I would've opened a high end resturaunt - and I am confident it would be good.

- I grow a fair amount of my own veg, that way I know what is going into my mouth and where it came from...

- I love to cook and try different food styles/cuisines...right now I'm on an Indian/South Asian kick.

- I don't mind dropping $100+ pp for a high end meal occasionally with my lovely wife.

- I can't tolerate chain resturaunts...and in general, try and avoid them. In fact, my wife knows there are a few local resturaunts that she enjoys (chains) that I have found so distasteful, I will only go in for a drink and she can eat...I try very hard not to slam the poor quality of food while there (so as to be able to sleep in my bed that night!) I do go with groups of friends to be social, but not necessarily to enjoy the food - there is a big difference!

Having said all that, I have found most meals aboard cruises pleasurable...those things in the MDR I did not like, I either returned or just didn't eat (and got something else). I have dined in both Chops and Portofino, I prefered Chops and thought Portofino was a slight upgrade above Olive Garden (I'm no fan of OG)...nothing to write home about.

Here's the difference between my tolerance aboard a cruise and on land. On a cruise, the food is part of the package...and the larger the ship, obviously the more cafeteria-style it will tend to be...it cannot be avoided. It may be very good cafeteria food, but it still is what it is. Similar to going out with friends who aren't all foodies to a chain resturaunt - I do that for the time with friends, not the quality of food. That is the same aboard a cruise...its a part of the experience, not the be-all end-all for me. I can honestly say that as far as the MDR goes aboard all RCI sailings we've been on, the service from the waiter/assistant waiter are better by far then any chain resturaunt.

When I go out for 'fine dining' near my home, I have a different expectation...higher service, higher quality food, individually prepared and thus more care taken...for that exceptional service, quality, taste and atmosphere, I pay a premium...and I accept it.

If you want that level of quality aboard a cruise, I suggest you start looking at a premium cruise line...of course for the cost of the lowest stateroom on a one week cruise, you could probably cruise 4 or 5 times on the 'big boys'.

So, food IS important...but sharing the time with family and friends while enjoying the meal is MORE IMPORTANT to me...the entire experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure how many people here watch Top Chef, but it is interesting, because they judges often strongly disparage Cruise Ship food. When criticizing a bad dish from a contestant, they have stated that it was like something they would get on a cruise ship.

I admit that the quality of Food is not going to match what you would get at Craft or La Bernardin, however, it is better than most land based restaurants.

It seems to me that a better critique would be to say it tastes like something from Chili's or TGIFridays. The cruise line food is definitely a big step up from any land based chain. And it is not food that I would avoid.

I admit, I'm a "foodie" however when I read the posts on Cruise Critic, I'm amazed at how obsessed some people are with food. One review I read was all about the negative aspects of Royal Caribbean because they weren't thrilled with their every meal. I know that all reviews are subjective but I'm shocked at how someone can have their entire trip ruined because their steak wasn't prepared exactly as ordered in the MDR. I love to cruise. If I don't like my food, I either get something else or eat enough to get through the meal. Is every meal perfect? No. But do I obsess over it to the point of sharing every ounce of negativity to discourage others? No. I wish all cruisers went with the glass half full mentality. This isn't meant to start a fight between food snobs, just wondering how some people can have their entire vacation ruined because their bread wasn't soft enough?

As long as they have food and the Flowrider is running, we are happy. My DH likes sandwiches from a gas station, sooooooo . . . ;)

Also, if I want an outstanding expensive meal, I can get one in Houston. I cruise for vacation and fun, not based on the food.

Sure...some people can be upset with anything! Any you're right...some are totally "obsessed" with eating....and they do it to excess. For most folks, the 1st thing they do when they board, is go to the buffet..and start eating...never understood that!

And again, you're right...not every meal may be perfect, but there's no way you'll starve on a cruise. There should be something, somewhere, that suits your taste buds!

I can tell you why they go to the buffet first, they have been traveling and are STARVING!!!!!!! We eat a very light breakfast the day of embarkation so we are hungry for the lunch buffet, and look forward to it being our first stop and first meal of our cruise.

I am not sure how many people here watch Top Chef, but it is interesting, because they judges often strongly disparage Cruise Ship food. When criticizing a bad dish from a contestant, they have stated that it was like something they would get on a cruise ship.

That is like Simon Cowell on Americal Idol saying a singer was a "cruise ship singer." Well, I thought Katrina Love from Synergy was amazing on my Dec. 5 Voyager OTS. Same with the food. Some -- mostly the fish -- was disappointing, But the beef this time was really good. And the lamb -- yummy. I cannot expect to get $100 a plate quality when I'm paying less than $100 per day for the entire cruise (inside cabin). But I find the MDR food really good in general. Gosh, I'm hungry now for another Tutti Salad from the MDR for lunch. For those who want really fine MDR dining, I guess there is always Crystal, Silversea, and other lines that charge, what, 2 to 3 times the RCCL price?

As long as they have food and the Flowrider is running, we are happy. My DH likes sandwiches from a gas station, sooooooo . . . ;)

My husband is the same way! He just rolls his eyes when I make the MMmmm sound while eating. He eats food to survive. I eat food for pleasure. :)

I don't consider myself a foodie, but I do try to avoid chain restaurants, if only for the "been there, done that" aspect of it. That, and some seem to paint everything with the same seasoning brush.

When ordering from a menu either at a restaurant or on a cruise ship, I try to order things that I either can't or won't cook for myself. I can't really say I've ever had a terrible meal on a cruise ship. Some courses have been "eh, it was okay". Okay is good enough since I'm not shopping for it cooking it or cleaning up after it. It's also usually redeemed by one or more of the other courses being excellent.

I am NOT a foodie and find RCI MDR food to be only fair. I do not go home raving about this or that dish - or looking forward to my next cruise to have ___ (fill in the blank) again. For a mid-level mass market cruise line I am OK with that for the price I pay.

I budget specialty dining in my cruise cost to enjoy several really good meals each cruise (meals that I do look forward to experiencing each cruise).

As long as the mass market lines can get there customers to accept marginal food the quality will continue to get to get worse and they they will really start serving slop. Atferall you do not cruise for food and you do not have to make it or clean up. I bet they really wish all there customers were like this. Just look at the money they could save and Im sure they will pass on the savings...Maybe they could eliminate the MDR and just have buffets or maybe you could bring your own food. Keep accepting poor quality and you watch what happens.

I am so glad that a comoner like me, who have traveled around the world during my 20 years in the military and has eaten in a variety of restaurants (Chains, Gourmet, Hometown style diners, buffets, fast food joints) over the years as well as military dining facilities, military MRE's and field kitchen prepared food doing Desert Shield/Storm can go on a cruise and trully enjoy the food be it in the Windjammer or the MDR. There are some offering in both that I would not order or eat but not because of taste but due to the fact that I just don't like that particular food and wouldn't eat it on a cruise, at a restaurant or at home!

As long as the mass market lines can get there customers to accept marginal food the quality will continue to get to get worse and they they will really start serving slop. Atferall you do not cruise for food and you do not have to make it or clean up. I bet they really wish all there customers were like this. Just look at the money they could save and Im sure they will pass on the savings...Maybe they could eliminate the MDR and just have buffets or maybe you could bring your own food. Keep accepting poor quality and you watch what happens.

Well, aren't you a little ray of sunshine ;) I am not worried about them cutting out all restaurants and just going to a chow line or going to nothing but MREs. There is a market for the speciality restuarants and there always will be :D

Well, aren't you a little ray of sunshine ;) I am not worried about them cutting out all restaurants and just going to a chow line or going to nothing but MREs. There is a market for the speciality restuarants and there always will be :D

I agree thats where I try to eat most of my meals because of them lowering the quality in the MDR. But some people do not care and are willing to accept it because they do not have to cook it or clean up. I now have to pay more for good food.

I go to the MDR hungry, I leave not hungry... and that makes me happy.

Like someone else said I grow as many vegetables as possible, I'm 1st generation born in the US - whole family's from Italy. So, I've been raised on good homemade traditional Italian cookine - everything is made and grown ourselves. You won't even find this kind of quallity cuisine at your most expensive fancy restaurant.

That said... the food is fine as far as I'm concerned. If I can tollerate it, I find it hard to believe that someone with a restaurant-desiring pallate truly has a problem. Maybe just add salt...

Furthermore, if they did decide to 'up the annie' in food quality then everyone would be complaining about the astronomical costs of cuising. Do you have any idea how expensive a cruise would cost if you got the best quality? Which isn't really all that possible at sea to begin with. It would be an xtra $1000pp just for your perfectly good steak. Come on now... think of the cost of the cruise and the amount of food and services you get.

So, I've been raised on good homemade traditional Italian cookine - everything is made and grown ourselves. You won't even find this kind of quallity cuisine at your most fancy expensive restaurant[\QUOTE]

You'd be surprised at what is going on in restaurants with regards to home grown and homemade product... There's a bit of a revolution out there and Chefs are insisting on more locally grown product and in some cases tending their own gardens to achieve that...

Check out Alice Waters... She's at the forefront of this movement... There's a documentary called "Food Fight" which discusses this in depth...

I agree with your post entirely but this one point... You CAN find that quality in restaurants these days... You'll pay for it but the payoff is on your tastebuds... SO WORTH IT...

I'm in Indiana and we have a fair amount of restaurants on this bandwagon... I'm sure other cities are onboard too...

I've only read the first page so forgive me if there is something I should have read on page 2.

I'm always amazed at how many people argue that the food on line X is better than on line Z. To me it's all pretty much the same. I don't care if you are on RCI, Cunard, Celebrity or Carnival, it's cruise food and prepared like food for a hotel banquet. I'd never tell a person who hasn't cruised before to cruise because the food is great.

It's all quantity not quality and it's been that way since our first cruise in 1998. My husband cruised (before me) a couple times in the early 80's and he states it's pretty much the same now as it was then. So, I'm thinking that many people romanticize the smaller ships and more personal service from a bygone era. That and add the fact the CDC can shut them down if they don't handle the food properly and they have all but lost the abiilty to have any fresh ingredients. I've even read here from time to time that some compare the food from years ago to what is now served in the specialty restaurants :rolleyes:.

But...I don't have to shop for it, prepare it, serve it nor clean it up so I'm ready and willing to eat in the dining room every night of the cruise. However, I do avoid the buffet if at all possible, never have been fond of cafeteria food.

So, I've been raised on good homemade traditional Italian cookine - everything is made and grown ourselves. You won't even find this kind of quallity cuisine at your most fancy expensive restaurant[\QUOTE]

You'd be surprised at what is going on in restaurants with regards to home grown and homemade product... There's a bit of a revolution out there and Chefs are insisting on more locally grown product and in some cases tending their own gardens to achieve that...

Check out Alice Waters... She's at the forefront of this movement... There's a documentary called "Food Fight" which discusses this in depth...

I agree with your post entirely but this one point... You CAN find that quality in restaurants these days... You'll pay for it but the payoff is on your tastebuds... SO WORTH IT...

I'm in Indiana and we have a fair amount of restaurants on this bandwagon... I'm sure other cities are onboard too...

I believe it.. and I'll check it out - food documentries are very interesting. BUT, it never tastes as good as when you're responsible for production from seed to plate ;) I'm sure it's extremely expensive, but I would probably try it. Can't critique it unless you try it! There's been restaurants like that in NYC for a while, but they are EXPENSIVE! Too much $ imo.

I'll check that documentary out tho - thx.

[i have given up on cruise food...But not on cruises, now ports make up my trip...We have never been to the Med...Now we are going to Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey and Egypt...For this I would eat McDonalds fooe every meal, and I hate most fast food...

QUOTE=Bailey151;27096899]Well one would think if it's that critical he would be doing it himself.

Amen, it's simply well presented cafeteria food..............to think differently of meals prepared on such a scale is foolish.

Archived