First time Caribbean - what not to miss?

german89

Hey there,

as this will be our first cruise and second trip to the Caribbean, we are wondering whether there are any attractions one totally has to do.

Our destinations:

• Philipsburg, St. Maarten - definite beach day
  • Castries, St. Lucia - boat trip to pitons
  • Bridgetown, Barbados - snorkeling trip by boat
  • St. George's, Grenada - ???
  • Scarborough, Tobago - ???
  • Roseau, Dominica - mountain/waterfall/snorkeling trip by land
  • Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas - snorkeling trip by boat ???

As you see, we only planned the "standard" things so far... While I don't expect those snorkeling trips to get boring, I am just wondering whether there are any things one HAS to do... We are into scenery/waterfalls/water/etc., don't really care about history and shopping and "extreme" activities would be fine.

What was your favorite thing at these destinations?

Thanks!

The only attractions that are "must dos" are the ones that interest YOU! There will be lots of recommendations that others have done, but if they aren't your "cup of tea", then it's a waste of money!

A guidebook can be your best friend...it will tell you everything about all of your ports...what there is, how to get there, and what it costs!

H

Thanks!

In St Marten-- check the beach that is across the street from the airport- especially in the early afternoon when all the flights are coming in.

Maho Beach:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLMMLmfVa-k

or if no site seeing-- Orient Beach

Hey there,

as this will be our first cruise and second trip to the Caribbean, we are wondering whether there are any attractions one totally has to do.

Our destinations:

• St. George's, Grenada - ???

As you see, we only planned the "standard" things so far... While I don't expect those snorkeling trips to get boring, I am just wondering whether there are any things one HAS to do... We are into scenery/waterfalls/water/etc., don't really care about history and shopping and "extreme" activities would be fine.

What was your favorite thing at these destinations?

Thanks!

Do the Pitons, very cool. ;)

You might want to take a look at the very detailed review I wrote from my cruise, as I stopped at Dominica, Grenada, and Tobago and you look like you want some suggestions for those islands...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1314598

Haha, guess what I've been reading the last hour ;-) Helps a lot! :-)

I would so love to climb the Petit Piton... Not enough time unfortunately, don't want to rush my father up there ;-)

Yeah, that's what I meant with beach day, serene56! Love those planes.

Swimming with turtles is included :-)

Grenada will be a nature tour, so I'll check the guide you suggested!

That only leaves Tobago... Nature, beach or snorkeling? Not many reports around here...

I can't tell you how many guidebooks I have, but unfortunately most of them focus on lodging, restaurants, getting around etc....

or if no site seeing-- Orient Beach

Well, there ARE sites to see on Orient Beach. Some great, some really disgusting. It's a nude beach, and on some parts TOTALLY nude.

On St Lucia, Pitons are a must. There is a really nice little restaurant right on the beach in a cove just east of the Pitons. One can snorkel there but watch out for small jellyfish. Not dangerous, but they sting.

I concur on a land tour of Granada. The people are great, and they still immensely appreciate Reagan's liberating invasion in the 80's.

I played golf in Tobago. Really nice course, and you can rent clubs. But bring your own golf balls as they were $9 apiece when we went.

Have fun planning.

bob123

Well, there ARE sites to see on Orient Beach. Some great, some really disgusting. It's a nude beach, and on some parts TOTALLY nude.

the whole beach is not nude- only one section and it is further down the beach. there is topless. and then there is a family section. (if that is what it is called)

I second the comment about St. Johns. Excellent place to spend the day snorkeling. They have a wonderful under water trail you can follow.

I'm not sure about specific trips on your cruise, but look for some place where you can swim with stingrays. I know they offer this in many places and it is a great experience.

Smart-Travelers

http://www.*****

Hey there,

Our destinations:

• St. George's, Grenada - nature tour

It looks as if you've done your research and planned well. When you get back you can start giving other people advice.

in Tobago, take a glass bottom boat from Pigeon Point to the Nylon Pool , its a shallow area hence "pool" in the Bucoo Reef. Youll see AMAZING coral, fish and other aquatic life! plus so shallow it is safe for kids and poor swimmers. Have a great time

Archived