talk to me about mosquitoes

cac&mjn

How concerned should I be about Dengue fever and Malaria? I have a 14 month old baby who will be joining us on our cruise in February. I did a search around these boards and haven't seen much info. I am a magnet for mosquitoes!! If they are around I will get bitten. I haven't known these insects to hang around salt water or beaches so hopefully there is no need for concern.

What do you think? Should we stay on the ship or go to the beach? Should we wear bug spray or not worry?

TIA

Are you going to be camping in the "outback" of one of these countries...after dark? If not, then you really needn't worry. Mosquitos aren't active in the daytime...they come out around dusk. go to the beach...you'll be fine!

If you're really concerned, something with Deet will allay your fears.

Are you going to be camping in the "outback" of one of these countries...after dark? If not, then you really needn't worry. Mosquitos aren't active in the daytime...they come out around dusk. go to the beach...you'll be fine!

If you're really concerned, something with Deet will allay your fears.

My eaten up legs can testify in Cozumel and other Caribbean areas that mosquitos can be active in the middle of the day too! They are more active at dusk and you will see them in more places, but you will also find them at high noon if the weather is right and you are in the right (wrong??) place.

I'm not sure which islands the OP is referring to, but it depends on where you go. Mosquitos are more rampant in the areas with lots of vegetation. Think of rain forest tours or ruins. They don't do well in places with breezes (like right along the beach).

cb at sea is correct - Deet is the best defense against these critters. Deet is considered safe for kids over 2 months old. Just don't spray it on the hands/fingers!

• 3 weeks later...

Are you referring to Labadee, Haiti? I have been there multiple times as a cruise passenger and in the real Haiti. As a cruise ship passenger I never received a bite. (Although the jelly fish in Coco Cay that slipped down my bathing suit was quite painful yet funny!) The mosquitoes are dawn/dusk creatures. If I had a child and was worried I'd consider a very light child safe repellent.....maybe. When I stay for a week or 2 in real Haiti I take anti-malarials as we get bit in the evening. Dengue is Dengue - never got it, never knew anyone who got it except 1 resident. A few hours on a sunny day you should be safe. It's my favorite stop in the Western.

The biggest annoyance we experienced in Labadee were the huge flies which were everywhere.

Funny that you say that. I got bitten at least twice by these huge flies in Costa Maya 2 weeks ago and it took me 1 week to stop itching. I was riding an ATV and couldn't swat them off. They hurt, then itched. Note to self :Pack bug spray for March!

Karen

Funny that you say that. I got bitten at least twice by these huge flies in Costa Maya 2 weeks ago and it took me 1 week to stop itching. I was riding an ATV and couldn't swat them off. They hurt, then itched. Note to self :Pack bug spray for March!

Karen

I would rather deal with mosquitoes than biting flies any day of the week. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi--

My husband and I are looking into the Navigator RCI cruise in February that stops here and I've been noticing a couple of threads surrounding this topic in Labadee, which otherwise seems like a great port. I will be at that time 6 mos pregnant-- my doctor has given me the green light, but I was just curious about how this topic keeps coming up. The last thing I want (obviously) is to contract malaria. While I really hate to pass up this port and stay on the ship--I am thinking that to avoid any real possibility of malaria, we should just keep to the beach, and not go in-land on any of the tours. Interested in thoughts about this.

Thanks!

Hi--

My husband and I are looking into the Navigator RCI cruise in February that stops here and I've been noticing a couple of threads surrounding this topic in Labadee, which otherwise seems like a great port. I will be at that time 6 mos pregnant-- my doctor has given me the green light, but I was just curious about how this topic keeps coming up. The last thing I want (obviously) is to contract malaria. While I really hate to pass up this port and stay on the ship--I am thinking that to avoid any real possibility of malaria, we should just keep to the beach, and not go in-land on any of the tours. Interested in thoughts about this.

Thanks!

Your doctor may have given you the green light, but you should check with the cruise line. Many will not let you cruise if you are in the 3rd tri-mester and they will want to see something from the Dr. showing due date. Better check to be safe instead of sorry. The doctor doesn't control who they let on the ships.

yes, Labadee. i am more concerned with Dengue than Malaria. we plan to stay on the beach. sounds like it could go either way. i guess i am the worry wart type. thanks for the answers. i've got some bug spray to bring.

I haven''t had either yet, but it's the luck of the bug I guess. Can't recall even seeing a mosquito in daylight (and I mean in real Haiti, not Labadee). It's my favorite island, but I liked Costa Maya after our Dec. cruise. Very nice area as well. I'm looking forward to some warmth!

Karen

Archived