Epic Exposed Restroom Deck 15

brentp

hmmm...I guess I always just assume if I walk in a restroom and see a window, theres the possibility of being seen from the outside (if I can see out, someone can probably see in) Do we always need signs to tell us the obvious? (or at least what I thought was obvious)

Quick! someone better tell the occupants of the ab suites with the oceanview showers.

Edited by DCT61

I find your comment quite interesting. Since you are admittedly not a man, how do you know how you would feel about this? (another one of societies double standards)

I tell you what, I am a man and it does bother me. I've never been in a women's bathroom, but my wife tells me that sometimes women are in various stages of dress or undress, adjusting, tucking etc....Let's hope nobody ever snaps a photo of you in a compromising position...just sayin'...

I hope you enjoy your cruise though....

Double standard schmouble standard. I'm a woman and this wouldn't bother me, so I feel quite confident that if I were a man I would feel the same way - and like Silkhair, I'd have fun with it. In fact, I have to admit that as I read the thread, I was thinking of ways to have fun with it anyway!! I think it would be great fun to go in with my husband (after he checks for other passengers, of course) and pretend to start getting 'naughty', then look over at the other ship as if just noticing that it's there, look shocked and embarrassed and then leave laughing. :p

As a wife, I'll be telling my husband about it and also sharing my idea - I doubt we'll act it out, but I know it will give him a chuckle. :p

As a parent, I will be reminding my daughter that when she can see OUT a window, it's very likely that others can see IN the window, and to be aware of what she's doing. :)

The best 'bathroom window' I ever heard of was in the Fireworks Factory, a restaurant that used to be at Disney's Pleasure Island. In the men's room, there was a window along the entire wall that backed the mirror behind the bar. My husband said it was quite disconcerting to stand at the urinal with a full view of the bar and all the patrons sitting at it! :eek:

Double standard schmouble standard. I'm a woman and this wouldn't bother me, so I feel quite confident that if I were a man I would feel the same way - and like Silkhair, I'd have fun with it. In fact, I have to admit that as I read the thread, I was thinking of ways to have fun with it anyway!! I think it would be great fun to go in with my husband (after he checks for other passengers, of course) and pretend to start getting 'naughty', then look over at the other ship as if just noticing that it's there, look shocked and embarrassed and then leave laughing. :p

As a wife, I'll be telling my husband about it and also sharing my idea - I doubt we'll act it out, but I know it will give him a chuckle. :p

As a parent, I will be reminding my daughter that when she can see OUT a window, it's very likely that others can see IN the window, and to be aware of what she's doing. :)

The best 'bathroom window' I ever heard of was in the Fireworks Factory, a restaurant that used to be at Disney's Pleasure Island. In the men's room, there was a window along the entire wall that backed the mirror behind the bar. My husband said it was quite disconcerting to stand at the urinal with a full view of the bar and all the patrons sitting at it! :eek:

Whatever....believe what you want to believe...!

You can do whatever you want if that's how you get your jollies.

For me, personally the days of the mile-high club, toilet humour and having Ferris Bueller as my hero are well behind me. I loved the 80's, but I grew up.

What is it with NCL and bathrooms anyway...?:confused:

Give up, it is not worth the effort.

PE

banghead.jpg.5a60472b4160055125f45e2272ecdb45.jpg

Edited by Planer's Edge

I don't imagine it's a design "flaw" in the sense no one realized what was going on. I'm picturing some designer, who resembles the folks on the old SNL sketches "Sprockets" getting paid big bucks to think it up.

LOL! You and I are definitely thinking along the same lines about this.;)

OK, my question to the OP is did you notice this same frosted glass 'stuff' in the suites:eek:

Honestly, this is the funniest thing I've seen about the ship. It truly makes me laugh! It also makes me want to sneek into the boy's side of the ship to check out this view and perhaps wave at a few fellow cruisers:D

You don't have to check on the "boy's" side -- the "girl's" is the same...

Well, not exactly a perfect fit for the subject at hand, but speaking of men's restroom humor, I have always found it amusing to walk along the kiosks of home shows, and when I come across the display for LeafGuard rain gutters or some such similar product, I like to say to my companion loud enough to be overheard by the salescritter, "The way these gutters are able to suck in the water yet let the leaves wash or blow off the edge is the exact same priniciple of physics that makes it possible for a man to miss the urinal that he is standing directly in front of."

It's always amusing to watch the reaction of the salescritter from the corner of my eye. Whereas if you asked them ahead of time, I'll bet most of them would say that they've heard it all before. But in reality, most of them choke as they recognize a bit of physics they never thought about before.

InThe

Being a guy I have no problem with this bathroom. I find it extremely hilarious. I will be on the Epic in 4 months and will definitely make a special trip to use this bathroom. I have no idea why some men are getting so annoyed by this. Your back is to the window. In a normal restroom would you turn around with everything hanging out for everyone to see? I think not. People in normal restroom can't see what you're doing from behind, so does a ship bathroom change that? Last time I checked it doesn't. Some people take things to seriously. Have fun with life. I know when I use this bathroom, and I'm alone in there, I may moon the neighboring ship if I'm feeling extra devious. :cool:;)

Hey sdmike. Hadn't seen a post from you in a couple of days. Glad to see you're still around.

I knew we could count on you to help bring this thread back to the seriousness level that it deserves. :)

ha! I've been traveling for business and haven't had much free time. I barely got out of Chicago before the snow and cold hit. As a thin blooded San Diego resident I can tell you that 15 degrees was a bit too cold for me. :)

My wife is now talking about a Mexican Riviera cruise in February out of LA. Some friends are going on Disney, but it's twice as much as NCL. Yikes.

Sweet:D

Originally Posted by Medtech2 View Post

The girls side is the same except it is all stalls, door by door by door, no commodes to be seen by passing ships unless someone leaves the stall door open.

Originally Posted by Medtech2 View Post

The girls side is the same except it is all stalls, door by door by door, no commodes to be seen by passing ships unless someone leaves the stall door open.

Thanks for the clarification - I kind of figured it out anyway but I sure do plan on waving at our neighbours from the sink:D

One way reflective glass could be installed. This one way reflective glass is used on many ships cabin windows where there is outdoor deck walkway.

I was on the Epic and found this facility wonderful for the openness while at sea...but never thought about in port visibility.

As far as exposure....what about all the balconies on these new ships. I have seen way too much...people walking around their cabins with drapes open....only to prove...those that should dont and those that shouldn't ....do

Being a guy I have no problem with this bathroom. I find it extremely hilarious. I will be on the Epic in 4 months and will definitely make a special trip to use this bathroom. I have no idea why some men are getting so annoyed by this. Your back is to the window. In a normal restroom would you turn around with everything hanging out for everyone to see? I think not. People in normal restroom can't see what you're doing from behind, so does a ship bathroom change that? Last time I checked it doesn't. Some people take things to seriously. Have fun with life. I know when I use this bathroom, and I'm alone in there, I may moon the neighboring ship if I'm feeling extra devious. :cool:;)

Some people take things too seriously? REALLY!

If your photo/video being posted on the internet while using this bathroom, I think that won't be too seriously also :D

What was NCL thinking? Pretty sure they will get lots of phone calls from past guess's attorney, which would not be that funny :eek:

My husband and I cruised this past week on the Epic and discovered this. I couldn't believe I had not read about it yet on Cruise Critic. I was excited to be able to come back and post it but you beat me to it. Not only is it able to be seen from other ships but also by passengers. We discovered by walking out to the pool deck at night when the boat was rocking to see what the weather was like. We walked out from the Garden Buffet and immediately turned left and walked to the rail. We looked to the right and wham there was the men's rest room. From that angle, if a man using the urinal turned and zipped at the same time it is possible to expose one's self if they aren't careful. We walked to the other side and the woman's restroom is the same way but not as big of deal due to stalls. We laughed about it.

• 2 years later...

I was on the Celebrity Constellation earlier this year. It has a big porthole shaped window in the men's sauna (I assume there's one on the other side in the women's sauna). Great view when we were at sea but in port I had to watch that my towel was closed!! :o

Hi Folks,

Sorry if this is well known, . . . but on our recent Celebrity Cruise over Thanksgiving, we were docked next to the Epic in St. Maarten. I took the first picture of the Epic, . . . everyone sure looked like they were having a great time. Notice the smoked glass just below the top deck mid-way down.

NCLEPIC.jpg

As we walked down the Eclipse, we got a much better look at what was behind the glass - it was the Men's Room!!! And, it was in use while we were in port.

EpicBathroom.jpg

We were chuckling quite a bit at how many men walked in, did there thing, and then walked out, . . . all in full view of those of us on the ship next door. And yes, it did appear that most washed when finished!!! :)

Just wanted to pass this along and apologies again if this information is well known. It was too funny to pass on posting this. :)

OMG. Cruise Critic released their Editors' Picks Awards today and Royal Caribbean won their award for best entertainment. All I can say is Cruise Critic's Editors got it all wrong. Norwegian should be the Editors' pick for best entertainment for this show on the Epic! Just sayin'!

Funny stuff. The ship's designer must have a sense of humor.