A Whole New World - Eurodam Baltic Review & Pictures

RicardoC

1184.jpg

We woke up early to get the train that would take us up 2,000 meters I think to a station in the middle of nowhere where we exchanged trains to get another one to Flam. I told everyone to be careful with their luggage size since we were the ones carrying all our luggage but it was a kind of stressful episode, especially because it was cold and pouring. However, as soon as the second train leaves and you start seeing the mountains, countryside, houses, rivers, and then arrive in Flam where the Fjords start you just forget about it all.

1216.jpg

1311.jpg

As soon as we got in to the ferryboat the would take us through the Fjords we were all breathless….it was so peaceful, so calm, almost like an untouched place in this world that is so “messed up”, it was amazing and would get even more interesting when we got to Gudvangen, our hotel for the night.

1322.jpg

1334.jpg

1357.jpg

1426.jpg

GUDVANGEN is a city in the middle of nowhere, close to “who knows where”, and right around the corner from somewhere far from everywhere else, that was our definition…hahahaha. It was an amazing night though. Our hotel had 12 rooms which 4 were occupied by us. Each room was decorated with Norwegian furniture and items of their culture, and the huge glass ceiling enable us to stare at the fjords while in bed!

1423.jpg

1424.jpg

There was no tv, internet, or anything similar, but we did not need it with the view outside. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant with the view (the lobby/restaurant building also has the glass ceiling) and went out for a walk since there is no dark in the Norwegian summer nights. It was a nice and relaxing afternoon/night after all the chaos with trains/luggage….and definitely paid off for it all.

1431.jpg

1439.jpg

1444.jpg

Ricardo, thank you so much for this wonderful report. My husband and I are doing the same Baltic cruise as you did next July on the Eurodam. So your pictures and reviews are excellent references for us! :D

We are also staying on the Eurodam for a second cruise to Norway, and your travels there are wonderful to read as well!

Ricardo, thx for your beautiful pics and report, it brought back wonderful memories of the 2 cruises I did to the Baltics and Norway, it looked like you and your family had an amazing time! How wonderful for you to be able to spend the time with them. I love your writing style and observations of the world as you see it, thanks again Karen

Ricardo, thank you so much for this wonderful report. My husband and I are doing the same Baltic cruise as you did next July on the Eurodam. So your pictures and reviews are excellent references for us! :D

We are also staying on the Eurodam for a second cruise to Norway, and your travels there are wonderful to read as well!

Great to hear you're enjoying it! There's a bit more to talk about so stay tuned!:)

Hope you have a great time!

I loved your wonderful photos and review!! Thank you so much for posting.

Thank You!

That was the intention and feels awesome to have accomplished....there's more though!

Ricardo, thx for your beautiful pics and report, it brought back wonderful memories of the 2 cruises I did to the Baltics and Norway, it looked like you and your family had an amazing time! How wonderful for you to be able to spend the time with them. I love your writing style and observations of the world as you see it, thanks again Karen

It truly is a pretty nice region....glad you're enjoying it!

What an enjoyable report, Ricardo, and great pictures too. The Baltic is my favourite cruise destination.

Thanks!!!

ricardo, thank you so much for your review. i have been awestruck and thoroughly appreciate your time and effort in posting this for us. also thank your parents for raising such a thoughtful, engaging young man! becky:)

I thank you for reading it! Thanks Very Much:D

1491.jpg

The following morning we left the fjords and, before leaving Norway, spent a last day together in Bergen, the furthest north we all have been to! It is overall a nice city, which I actually liked more than Oslo. Besides just walking around we really enjoyed the culinary aspects of the area while having lunch at the fair by the harbor (very fresh fish & even caviar….yum!) and having our last dinner at a nice restaurant that, once again, offered whale and other tasty Norwegian food.

1499.jpg

1506.jpg

1527.jpg

The only concern there was the high price for everything…but you know what…after almost a month none of us could really complain about one meal. It’s the famous idea that “You’re in the rain to get wet” so that…lets say….extravagant dinner was unforgettable. The next morning all of us got different fights: my uncle and fiancée to Oslo, Frankfurt, and then Sao Paulo, my uncle with aunt and cousins to Amsterdam and then Sao Paulo, and the more crazy like the three of us to Oslo, London, and Lisbon for a last three days. It was a nice trip with everyone and I confess this day flying from Bergen to Lisbon was a bit depressing since I did not know when I was going to see the rest of the family again….

1526.jpg

1528.jpg

1591.jpg

LISBON was a very different part of the trip. People who knows how it is to be out of everything for a month (and I’m sure there are a lot of people who stay even more out) probably know what I’m talking about. These days were more like a conflict of emotions for all of us, and I’ll explain you. Not only because it was the end of a long trip when we all were “out” with no worries, but because I was kind of sad due to the fact the others had left, because after so long spending time together the three of us were having more fights, and also because my mom’s family was from there so she constantly talked about my grandfather and some friends that she travelled there before, very nostalgic. Because of all that these days were weird, and on top of that I opened my email on the first day in Lisbon and found out a friend of ours, my age, had passed out after almost a year fighting against a cancer. Suddenly I had no idea how to tell my parents and felt guilty to be there so happy after an entire month in Europe with people I like while these friends were suffering. So yes it was hard. Certainly because of that I did not enjoyed it as much and only have pictures from the first day, before everything happened. We had a rented car so went to the city of Evora, then Sintra, Caiscais, and Estoril which were very nice as well as the beaches in between….definitely worth to spend a relaxing week. The last day we just stayed around the city and did a tour that went all the way to the modern area where the Orient Station is located…very nice.

1533.jpg

1582.jpg

1590.jpg

1568.jpg

By the end of the day got a plane back to London and then, the next morning to Chicago and Orlando, just in time to go directly to the funeral….not really the way we expected but life does that kind of things to us right? I think it served to show us how gifted we are to be healthy and be able to enjoy life. The fact we were able to be back in time made me feel better and all I could do was to pray for his family and thank God for my life. I’m sorry to write about this I just needed to and felt like doing it. Once again thank you very much for reading this and hope I helped whoever is sailing on the ship/itinerary and if you have any questions let me know!

Ricardo.

1666.jpg

Ricardo,

I thank you for not only taking the time to post this extremely detailed and photographed review, but also for sharing your grief with us. You are right, it was hard for you to deal with your friend's untimely death at the end of your fantastic cruise. I am sure though that your dear friend would not begrudge you a single second of the memories and enjoyment of that time.

I know what it is like to lose a loved one and friend. I hate the saying that "Time Heals all Wonds," but I have to admit that it does.

Just keep looking back over the photos and the memories of this idyllic time and remember your friend at the same time:)

God Bless you and your parents. I say your parents also because I believe they have raised a very young man into an educated and very impressive young man that any mother and father would be proud of.

Stay safe young Ricardo and please keep us informed on how you are doing, even if it is not cruise related!!

Joanie

Ricardo, I am so glad you posted a link to this review on the Northern Europe & Baltics board because otherwise I never would have had the opportunity to enjoy your lovely photos and your impressions. I only have sailed on Oceania and the giant cruise ships simply are not for me.

I enjoyed a Baltic land trip three years ago with my sister, including four days in St. Petersburg, and I am looking foward to our cruise next year for my husband's first visit to this area of Europe. Your pictures add greatly to my anticipation.

Thanks for taking the time to share with all of us on these boards.

Pam

Ricardo..when I posted above I had not yet read about your loss of your friend. I am so sorry. Life is way too short sometimes. I so appreciate your sharing everything with us and I feel as if I know you, and your wonderful parents and family! You are a very blessed young man. Do write more of your tours! I would be interested in knowing what month you did your Baltic Cruise and how you felt the weather was. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Sherry

• 3 weeks later...
i too agree with joanie ricardo. so sorry for your loss.

It's ok now but that day was rough....going straight from the airport and a nice trip to such a bad event...

Ricardo..these photos are fabulous..we are planning to do this trip in 2012 and can't wait! Have been there before but had forgotten how lovely it all is! Thank you for sharing! Worth the wait for you to do this..

Sherry

Oh it was surprisingly amazing....we also want to go back in a couple years to focus more in Norway, Russia, and Poland as well as others Eastern European countries we don't know....it's a plan for a next one ;)

Ricardo..when I posted above I had not yet read about your loss of your friend. I am so sorry. Life is way too short sometimes. I so appreciate your sharing everything with us and I feel as if I know you, and your wonderful parents and family! You are a very blessed young man. Do write more of your tours! I would be interested in knowing what month you did your Baltic Cruise and how you felt the weather was. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Sherry

Thanks for the kind words...actually I met him in March and they moved here in September when, a couple weeks later, he discovered everything so it was really weird since I knew him but not that well and people kept asking about him at school but I did not know everything because we were not that close....yeah that all sucks especially for his parents and two brothers...

Merry (late) Christmas for you and an awesome 2011 cruising and in life :)

Ricardo,

I thank you for not only taking the time to post this extremely detailed and photographed review, but also for sharing your grief with us. You are right, it was hard for you to deal with your friend's untimely death at the end of your fantastic cruise. I am sure though that your dear friend would not begrudge you a single second of the memories and enjoyment of that time.

I know what it is like to lose a loved one and friend. I hate the saying that "Time Heals all Wonds," but I have to admit that it does.

Just keep looking back over the photos and the memories of this idyllic time and remember your friend at the same time:)

God Bless you and your parents. I say your parents also because I believe they have raised a very young man into an educated and very impressive young man that any mother and father would be proud of.

Stay safe young Ricardo and please keep us informed on how you are doing, even if it is not cruise related!!

Joanie

Yes i know with time everything "fades" in our mind....it's still there but not as present and sentimental....

Thanks! I'll make sure my parents see this :D

I'll make sure we keep in touch....by the way posted a review on our weekend cruise on the Monarch OTS and Christmas on the Solstice if you're interested ;)

I agree with everything that Joanie has so beautifully written. Thank you Ricardo for a wonderful review of your trip, and please accept my condolences on the tragic loss of your friend.

Thanks for everything....reading...commenting....the condolences..:)

Ricardo, I am so glad you posted a link to this review on the Northern Europe & Baltics board because otherwise I never would have had the opportunity to enjoy your lovely photos and your impressions. I only have sailed on Oceania and the giant cruise ships simply are not for me.

I enjoyed a Baltic land trip three years ago with my sister, including four days in St. Petersburg, and I am looking foward to our cruise next year for my husband's first visit to this area of Europe. Your pictures add greatly to my anticipation.

Thanks for taking the time to share with all of us on these boards.

Pam

You'll have a blast next year! Thanks for reading!

Thanks for posting this review and all of the amazing pictures. We were on the same cruise and still can't believe the perfect weather we had.

Oh really do you mean the same cruise as in itinerary/ship or the actual same cruise sailing July 12, 2009? Cause that would be pretty cool :)

Archived