South America

Mysteryreader

We rec'd a booklet from X today about South American cruises. That destination wasn't one that had even crossed our minds, but--curses--the bklet made it look irresistible. There seem to be a number of itineraries, dates, etc.

I'm sure that members of this forum are most knowledgeable about this destination. Give us a starting point. What should we be thinking about? What ports are not to be missed? Best time to go? Assume we know nothing (b/c we do) and give us some tips. TIA.

M/R

We rec'd a booklet from X today about South American cruises. That destination wasn't one that had even crossed our minds, but--curses--the bklet made it look irresistible. There seem to be a number of itineraries, dates, etc.

I'm sure that members of this forum are most knowledgeable about this destination. Give us a starting point. What should we be thinking about? What ports are not to be missed? Best time to go? Assume we know nothing (b/c we do) and give us some tips. TIA.

M/R

One place to start is to explore the South America ports of call board. Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

We are booked on the Infinity on 16 January 2011 from Valparaiso, Chile to Buneos Aires, Argentina. It goes around Cape Horn and the Straits of Magellan. On a previous land trip in 2005, we explored Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls and Colonia de Sacramento, Uruguay. We just had to get back. If you would like to look at my pictures from that trip, you are welcome to view my Shutterfly album:

http://shipnshore.shutterfly.com/pictures

Over the past 5 years we've cruised in S.A. 3 times. Living in the Northeast we like to go away in our winter. If you're looking past Caribbean cruises, then that leaves Australia/New Zealand, Southeast Asia, Africa, or South America. While all are great, S.A. is relatively easy to fly to, the dollar is still strong, & the places are amazing, combining sophisticated cities, natural wonders, penguins, & beaches. We've done Buenos Aires to Rio deJaneiro (Oceania), Santiago to Buenos Aires - around Cape Horn + a side trip to Iguazu Falls(Celebrity), and Ecuador/Galapagos (Celebrity Xpedition). We loved Buenos Aires and Rio, as well as Ushuaia. We heartily recommend a cruise in South Ameica!!!

I would not go late in the season. You'll probably miss the penguins. And I would go West to East, even though that means paying the fee to fly into Santiago. The reason is that you'll probably be cruising the Chilean fjords in daylight. We missed them during our cruise late in the season. Only got to see the fjords by moonlight. Not very satisfying.

Archived