New Orleans: worst embark, debark experiences ever!

brichar499

Just got off the Carnival Triumph. We have never seen poorer embark, debark organization. Both ways, we were in line for an hour. I'm not sure of the problem getting on board, but the line outside the terminal stretched hundreds of feet and the whole process took an hour.

Getting off the ship was worse and the problem appears to be with customs/immigration. With more than a dozen cruises, our experience has been the longest wait is on the ship waiting to get called. This time, once we were off the ship, it took an hour more to clear the terminal. The line slowly snaked around the terminal, all caused by inadequate staffing by our friends at the US Dept of Homeland Security who run the customs/immigration operation.

I realize Carnival is not directly responsible for this but somebody (the cruise line and/or the port authority) needs to work with DHS and resolve the problem.

Ever cruise from Miami? We have twice and will NEVER again. We went through a similar situation sailing on the Triumph out of Miami a few years ago. From the time we checked in, and went up the escalator to the long hallway to reach the gangway and were met by a LONG line of passengers...from that point, time to board...1 hour!!! And the teaser was the ship was RIGHT THERE. Why, PICTURES!! Carnival FORCED everyone to wait in line without the option of bypassing the boarding picture. When we got to the gangway and told them NO PICTURE...they seemed insulted!! Tough was our thought. After 7 cruises, we did NOT need anymore boarding pics. But like I said, Carnival would not afford us the option. Just the wait!! Lucky for us we live in Florida so our travel wasn't that bad. But I felt sorry for the others that flew or drove long hours to board the ship, just to be faced with an unnecessary line.

Ever cruise from Miami? We have twice and will NEVER again. We went through a similar situation sailing on the Triumph out of Miami a few years ago. From the time we checked in, and went up the escalator to the long hallway to reach the gangway and were met by a LONG line of passengers...from that point, time to board...1 hour!!! And the teaser was the ship was RIGHT THERE. Why, PICTURES!! Carnival FORCED everyone to wait in line without the option of bypassing the boarding picture. When we got to the gangway and told them NO PICTURE...they seemed insulted!! Tough was our thought. After 7 cruises, we did NOT need anymore boarding pics. But like I said, Carnival would not afford us the option. Just the wait!! Lucky for us we live in Florida so our travel wasn't that bad. But I felt sorry for the others that flew or drove long hours to board the ship, just to be faced with an unnecessary line.

We had pretty easy embarks/debarks from New Orleans. We were not allowed to emark on the Conquest at all early, so there were alot of long lines with that sailing but it moved quickly. I have to completely agree with sailing from Miami (Carnival Sensation)...total nightmare with self debarking. All of the waiting areas were overcrowded with passengers and their luggage. One poor gentlemen with a full cast on his leg and crutches was pushed and shoved while people made their way to the elevators. This was very painful to watch. Word was there were problems with immigration once of the ship which was holding things up on the ship, but who knows?

Just got off the Carnival Triumph. We have never seen poorer embark, debark organization. Both ways, we were in line for an hour. I'm not sure of the problem getting on board, but the line outside the terminal stretched hundreds of feet and the whole process took an hour.

Getting off the ship was worse and the problem appears to be with customs/immigration. With more than a dozen cruises, our experience has been the longest wait is on the ship waiting to get called. This time, once we were off the ship, it took an hour more to clear the terminal. The line slowly snaked around the terminal, all caused by inadequate staffing by our friends at the US Dept of Homeland Security who run the customs/immigration operation.

I realize Carnival is not directly responsible for this but somebody (the cruise line and/or the port authority) needs to work with DHS and resolve the problem.

I could not disagree with you more!!!

I have disembarked at New Orleans 8 times. ALL were excellant and speedy.

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

Our worst was in Galveston last Feb. Don't remember how long it to embark (lost track after being in 3 seperate lines). But our disembark took 2 hours. Hubby was in the Navy, said in 20 years of sailing he never dealt with such disorganization. May have been Homeland Security fault for the wait , but there were other issues that arose that the staff working the terminal were not helpful with either. Things were so bad Hubby said we would never sail out of Galveston again.

I'll let you know next Sunday because I'm cruising on Triumph on Thursday.

pat and I had the best ever debarkation when we got off. It said to get there at 6:45, but we were up early and went early. They called us to come on at 6:44 am!!! I was to the hotel by 7 am and she moved her flight up and flew out early.

Archived