Carribean Weather late January

onkell

We are trying to pick a cruise in late Jan. to celebrate my 40th bday with my husband and 2 kids ages 6 and 7. I read a few things that have me concerned. Someone mentioned the pools not being heated. How cold will they be? Fine for swimming?

Someone else mentioned it would be better to do a Southern carribean cruise in January if we want to be able to enjoy the beach for swimming and sunbathing. What is weather like in Jamaica, Cozumel, Bahamas this time of year? Is the ocean warm enough for swimming? How much warmer is it in the Southern islands?

We've been to the Southern Caribbean in January and the weather was AMAZING. I haven't been to Nassau in the winter so I can't tell you about that. However, I don't think you'll have a problem with not being able to swim. I'm sure others can give you better input on that. All I know is that in January in the Southern Caribbean we were swimming in the ocean and in the ship's pool. We were sun bathing and loving every second of it. I wish we were headed back to the So. Carib. this year in January!!

Except for the Bahamas, which isn't really 'Caribbean", the ports should be quite warm, especially if you're used to cold! The Bahamas will have temperatures similar to Miami.

The pools are fairly shallow on the ship, and will warm up quickly when the sun is shining on them. They will be refreshing! Same with beaches...you'll have plenty of warmth on the sand, and if you get hot, a dip will cool you off. You may not want to spend 3 straight hours in the water, tho!

Don't forget the sunscreen..you will need it!

I've done several cruises in Jan./Feb. I would avoid the Bahamas. It can get cool that time of year. The Caribbean will be perfect. I actually prefer the Caribbean that time of year. Not as hot and humid. It's always been in the 80's and the water has always been warm enough to swim.

We have taken caribbean cruises in January with stops as far north as Haiti and Dominican Republic, which is as far north as I'd consider "Caribbean" to go (as opposed to Bahamas), and we swam in the Ocean with no problems, and even our, at the time, 18 month old, son was fine going in the ocean.

I was wondering the same thing bout the weather at that time. We're cruise end of January out of Miami to Eastern Caribbean & Bahamas happen to be one of the ports. Someone mentioned Bahamas will be cold this time of year? We're from the west & it happens to be cold here mostly & our summers do get to the high 90s which is extremely hot for us. So what may think is cold would be great weather for us. How high would it be in Nassau? We're also going to San Juan, Grand Turk & St Thomas. What kind of weather will it be there first week of February? I'm kinda thinking booking a winter Caribbean cruise was a mistake. Shouldve went with Mexican rivera. Since ppl say it'll be cold this time of year. I read that this time of year it's best to go to the caribbean, now I'm confused.

We are trying to pick a cruise in late Jan. to celebrate my 40th bday with my husband and 2 kids ages 6 and 7. I read a few things that have me concerned. Someone mentioned the pools not being heated. How cold will they be? Fine for swimming?

Someone else mentioned it would be better to do a Southern carribean cruise in January if we want to be able to enjoy the beach for swimming and sunbathing. What is weather like in Jamaica, Cozumel, Bahamas this time of year? Is the ocean warm enough for swimming? How much warmer is it in the Southern islands?

Sorry that I stole your thread. I didn't want to start another which was the pretty much same question just few diff ports.

When people talk about in being "cold" in Nassau in January they mean highs in the 50's and low 60's. It isn't what you would consider cold. It's just too cold to go swimming.

As for your other ports of call - Grand Turk - avg hi for Feb is 81 and avg low is 73, ST Thomas avg hi is 86 and low is 72, San Juan avg hi is 83 and low is 71. I got all of the average temperatures from intellicast. It's, in my opinion, one of the more accurate sites.

If you are from somewhere cold (i.e. where there is snow etc...) you will find that it is "cold' for swimming etc for the locals but we have nearly always found the water to be a good temp.

We are from Canada an often leave behind -10C or colder weather. The nice thing is that often the pools/beaches arent super crowded.

• 2 weeks later...

We just came back from a Southern and the weather was fantastic. We have never done a Dec cruise and I knew the temps would be in the 80's easily but what I didnt know is we would loose alot of that sticky humidity. We went to the beach several days and water was fantastic.

Nassau is the only port I would be a bit concerned with and I still think it will be nicer than florida weather but that is really the best to gauge it off of. Closer to the cruise start checking 10 day forcasts for temps...oh dont freak when it calls for rain everyday as that is normal. Ive seen very little rain on a cruise.

We have left for a cruise twice at the end of January and have had 2 different extremes.

In 2005, it was 60 degrees in Florida the week were leaving, but then it was 85 in the Eastern Caribbean (St. Martin, St. Thomas, Bahamas) only to snap back to the 50's the day we arrived back in Florida.

In 2009, it was 70 degrees in Florida -- when we got to Cozumel and Costa Maya Mexico, it was 65 and 68 :eek:

And no, most pools are not heated. A few here and there are. I remember being on Carnival Triumph and one of their pools was heated (the kids were swimming in it on a cool night in Canada). But most pools are not heated.

quote]

We leave for the Southern Caribbean in 12 days!!! I googled each port and found they all have local web sites that give you the current weather, averages and forecasts. Looks to me to expect 80-85 F temps with 80% humidity.

Archived