Excursion ideas for family

pinkie1

I'm having some trouble deciding on what to do in Cozumel.

Here's the lowdown:

We'll be there in early Jan.

We have a 7 yo son,

we have our own snorkel set (although my son has never snorkeled, but he's been practicing in the tub and pool).

I don't mind booking an excursion through the ship (Allure of the seas) or going off on our own as long as it's not too complicated, expensive, or time consuming to get to.

I'm also considering other activites, like meeting the dolphins or something else that Cozumel offers (I don't know much about the place).

I'd like to get some ideas on really good snorkel places/beaches, other activites that shouldn't be missed in Cozumel.

We'll also be visiting Costa Maya (Mexico) and Labadee (Haiti) so if snorkeling is better somewhere else then I can do an activity in Coz.

Any info would be helpful, thanks!

Sounds like Chankanaab would be a good spot for you. A quick cab ride from the port (10 mins or so...$15 each way). They have a snorkel area right at the beach...steps going down into the coral area. You can do the dolphin swim there...we did it a few years ago and loved it. They also have sea lions and (I think) manatees. Huge pool with swim up bar, a lagoon, restaurant/bar, mini replicas of the ruins to walk thru. They have a sandy beach area with Aidirondack lounge chairs, but no sandy bottom swimming beach (at least none that we saw back then), but the pool and lagoon are nice. They have lockers and changing rooms, etc. Nice place! Sounds like a good fit for what you're looking for. You can Google it and get to their website....I think it's about $20 to get in...and they always had a coupon for a couple $ off on their site.:)

Thank you Irishlinny and Crewsweeper for the suggestion. After doing some research on my own it does seem Chankanaab would be a good fit.

If you pay the admission to the park, is it an additional charge to "play" with the dolphins? I would assume so.

I'm debating if I should go on our own or pay through the ship via excursion. The ship's cost is about $79pp for a 3 hour experience, but I think that is mostly for the dolphin adventure. It states that you can also snorkel and shop with the additional time left (11 hours in port).

Thank you Irishlinny and Crewsweeper for the suggestion. After doing some research on my own it does seem Chankanaab would be a good fit.

If you pay the admission to the park, is it an additional charge to "play" with the dolphins? I would assume so.

I'm debating if I should go on our own or pay through the ship via excursion. The ship's cost is about $79pp for a 3 hour experience, but I think that is mostly for the dolphin adventure. It states that you can also snorkel and shop with the additional time left (11 hours in port).

Yes, when we were there, the dolphin swim was $99 (which included admission to the park). So the ship only charges $79? Very odd to find the ship charging less than doing it yourself. I wonder if that's for a dolphin ENCOUNTER instead of the swim. But then again, if your son is 7, there may be age restrictions on the swim. You'd have to check into it a little more.

I would probably like to spend more time there than 3 hours, but that may work better for you since your son is young. I more enjoy the freedom to come and go at my own pace, which is why I do most of my excursions independently. And you tend to be in less of a crowd as well. See what you can find out and pick what feels best for you! But it really is a very simple taxi ride and back if you want to do it yourself.;)

The $79 is an encounter, not a swim. I don't really care to swim with the dolphins (I'm sure it would be fun, but I can't validate spending that much for a little swim and photo op) and I KNOW my son will not want to do that. He gets freaked out a bit. But then maybe I SHOULD, to help him get over his fears.;)

Thanks for the info. Chankanaab it is!!! :D:D

Archived