Athens... Hostel or Hotel?

luv2cruisin

We have narrowed our choices of Sept 28th pre-cruise stays to four places. We are a group of 3 adults. We like the price and local to tourist attractions. Can anyone give us their experience with any of these?

Hostels

- Athens Backpackers $30 pp per night (3 person room)

- Athens Style $61 pp per night (3 person room)

Hotels

-Nefeli Hotel $48 pp per night

-Attalos Hotel $49 pp per night

We have narrowed our choices of Sept 28th pre-cruise stays to four places. We are a group of 3 adults. We like the price and local to tourist attractions. Can anyone give us their experience with any of these? Hostels

- Athens Backpackers $30 pp per night (3 person room)

- Athens Style $61 pp per night (3 person room)

Hotels

-Nefeli Hotel $48 pp per night

-Attalos Hotel $49 pp per night Thanks :)

I have not stayed in any of these places, but . . . my first suggestion would be to consider LOCATION!!! Athens is a large, large city of about 4.5 million people. Some areas in Athens are kind of third-world and a little marginal. For most visitors to Athens, the Plaka and Acropolis are the top two attractions. We liked staying right near these areas that are right next to each other. It saved time and makes it easier to enjoy this area if you stay closer and/or handy to the public transportation. You need to consider what your time and "walking around" pleasure would be. That's worth something, right? I'd use Google.com and their mapping feature to plot out their locations, etc., for each option you are considering.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 26,300 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Attalos is great! We stayed there after our cruise last year. They are friendly at the desk, they store your luggage, the rooms are decent, the breakfast is good, the location is great and the view from the rooftop bar is spectacular.

Thanks MaryAnn! Can you tell me what's for breakfast? I think the other places are just bread, marmalade, coffee, and juice. Isn't that the hotel that charges an extra 8 Euros for breakfast? And is that charge for room or per person? Thanks again :)

Breakfast was included for us but we paid 65E per night. The breakfast is a buffet. I believe there were boiled eggs. There was yogurt, fruit, and lots of other stuff, definitely more than bread and jam. Are you sure the prices you quote are in dollars and not Euros?

Thanks MaryAnn. 68Euros... you must've lucked out and caught the off season. We will be there while they still make you pay for full season. We also have a third person in our room which even lowered the cost, but for that hotel, it will be 146Euros a night :( The breakfast sounds good enough for folks like us who aren't into eating a lot in the morning :)

Archived