Oceana Aug 2011 - good for Teenagers?

Evelyn9597

Hi,

I'm just about to book E120 (6/8/2011) on Oceana and will be taking my 14 and 16-year-olds.

Has anyone been on Oceana at this time of year, ie, peak school holiday season? Will there be plenty of other similar aged kids on board? I'm guessing (and hoping) there will be, but I just want some reassurances before I part with £300 deposit:rolleyes:.

To be honest, we've been on the Aurora a few years ago and weren't overly impressed, but I'm desperate to give P&O another chance as the thought of sailing from Southampton is very appealing:).

Many thanks.

If you contact P&O they will tell you how many kids in the same age bracket are currently booked on a particular sailing. I am trying out Oceana with young kids for a week in April and I understand it to be a family-friendly ship BUT my first choice with kids on P&O would probably be Azura and Ventura. Both big modern ships with lots of facilities.

There were lots of teens on Azura in August and they were really well looked after. I may be pleasantly surprised by Oceana but I know we like large ships best so we'll probably still prefer to Azura/Ventura.

Hi Tom,

Re Aurora; I found Customer Services unhelpful and unsympathetic in dealing with a problem that occurred. Also, the food was very hit-and-miss, in my opinion.

This was over five years ago, so I would imagine things have improved since then. I know of several families who LOVE the Aurora!

If you contact P&O they will tell you how many kids in the same age bracket are currently booked on a particular sailing.

Thanks, I didn't know you could do that!

Re Ventura/Azura - I would love to try one of them, but there are no cruises/itineraries that suit our dates, apart from a lovely looking Fjords cruise on Ventura, which my children don't fancy unfortunately (not sure what the big deal is, as usually I can barely get them off the ship:rolleyes::)).

Well, thanks to the Heads Up from cclarke12, I've ascertained that there are 83:eek: teenagers (13-17 age group) already booked on this particular Oceana cruise:D So I'll be booking soon for definite!

Yes, you might need to. There's a maximum capacity for each separate age group. Therefore it's possible for them to not be able to take a booking for a family with children because the facilities for children of the relevant age are already full, even though there might actually still be cabins available.

We've booked this cruise and will be traveliing wth 2 teens (19 & 15 at time of cruise). It will be their first time though DH and I have cruised before. First time with P&O however and really looking forward to it. See you on board I hope!

Wow! I'll go and start a Roll Call once I've booked (waiting for partner to get paid next week...... he's not coming, doesn't travel well unfortunately).

Yes, hopefully see you on board. My 14-year-old (girl) is very sociable, but 16-year-old (boy) is very shy.. but I'm hoping he may hook up with other kids this time.:cool:

Tom, that's interesting because P&O said they'd nearly reached capacity in the 3-7 age group, but still plenty of room for teenagers:).

Your children will love oceana the staff in the kids club are amazing and go out of their way to make the kids happy,the youth leader is kev and hes a great bloke say hello to him for me,my daughter was in the club permanent once she got to know people,a piece of advice as soon as you board go and register the kids as there are limited spaces so get there asap.

Well, thanks to the Heads Up from cclarke12, I've ascertained that there are 83:eek: teenagers (13-17 age group) already booked on this particular Oceana cruise:D So I'll be booking soon for definite!

Glad you managed to get the info you needed. You are less likely to have a problem with availability with olders kids. The younger age groups fill up quicker because they have minimum staff ratios they have to maintain so capacity is more limited, but these are nowhere near as strict with older kids so they don't need so many staff. Have a fab time :D

From what I've heard, I believe Oceana is meant to be quite family-friendly and at that time of year it would be surprising if your children were to be the only ones in their age bracket on board.

Your son may not be the overly-sociable type, but if he goes and gets talking to people I'm sure he'll love it. Otherwise, I'm sure there'll be plenty of things he can occupy his time with!

Hope you have a great time!

Thanks OfficerCadet, my son does enjoy cruises, but won't go and meet other kids as he's painfully shy. I'm hoping he'll be more outgoing this time, eg, go and join in with football, basketball, etc.

We'll all have a great time, no matter what!

Archived