Can you see land on sailing days on western Oasis?

maweberpa

Tried to search, but didn't see anything on this topic. For anyone who has sailed the western Oasis itinerary, are you close enough to land on sailing days to see the islands (Bahamas, Jamaica, etc.)? I'm not expecting details, but just seeing land, mountains, that sort of thing. I've only been to Mexico and was just curious if we'd be able to see anything on sailing days besides water.

Thanks for the info!

Tried to search, but didn't see anything on this topic. For anyone who has sailed the western Oasis itinerary, are you close enough to land on sailing days to see the islands (Bahamas, Jamaica, etc.)? I'm not expecting details, but just seeing land, mountains, that sort of thing. I've only been to Mexico and was just curious if we'd be able to see anything on sailing days besides water.

Thanks for the info!

You will see a fair bit of land as you pass Cuba from Hati to Jamaica, especially if you have a starboard balcony cabin. I remember taking breakfast looking at the Cuban coast.

I would not expect to see much of the Bahamas. I have sailed there several times on a sail boat and almost dont see them until you are right there. It is usually man made things (radio towers, etc) that let you know there is an island near by.

Rounded the west side of Cuba one time on Radiance, and we spent most of the day being shadowed by a Cuban navy gunboat. It was kind of disquieting even though you were (almost) sure nothing was going to happen.

Thanks for the info!

Passing by Cuba at night is really creepy, you know it's there, but there are almost no lights anywhere, so you can't really see it. Once in a while you see a light, but not often, just enough to remind you it's there.

Have sailed the Western Caribbean quite a few times. The only island you will see is Cuba, but it is quite a distance away, not much else but lots and lots of beautiful blue sea!! We always pack the binoculars! (Once we saw a whale very close to the ship.)

Just for spits and giggles ... we've passed by Cuba on any number of ocassions on previous cruises ... how far away *ARE* we? I know some countries "declare" a 12 mile limit, sometimes it's a 3 mile limit ... and for all I know, there may be rules requiring non-Cuban flagged vessils from going any closer than a certain distance.

Michael

Just for spits and giggles ... we've passed by Cuba on any number of ocassions on previous cruises ... how far away *ARE* we? I know some countries "declare" a 12 mile limit, sometimes it's a 3 mile limit ... and for all I know, there may be rules requiring non-Cuban flagged vessils from going any closer than a certain distance.

Michael

12 nautical miles (14 miles or 22km). This is the accepted distance. If the ship is going 18 knots (20 mph), than it could reach Cuba in less than 1 hour!

Archived