Do they actually weigh you for excursions?

gaubow

You can be the judge when you see the horses....the point is that many places in Mexico have tiny horses that aren't in great health....

You need to use your own conscious with this. Some operators in Mexico are looking to make money...You don't work in Mexico, you don't eat, so they need to look out for themselves before they look out for their horses, you know what I mean?? If you see a sturdy, well fed, large horse, then don't fret, they are not going to weigh you. :)

We did an excursion in El Yunque in PR, my weight was no issue but the horses were so small when I sat in the saddle with my feet out of the stirrups I could almost touch the ground! Not the most comfortable ride….

We did an excursion in El Yunque in PR, my weight was no issue but the horses were so small when I sat in the saddle with my feet out of the stirrups I could almost touch the ground! Not the most comfortable ride….

I hope you didnt ride like that:confused:

I am going to leave it at this: I will assume that the owner/operator knows what he is doing and will let me know if it won't work. I'll let you all know if I see a scale or not:)

worth mentioning again, though that my intention is to come in around 5lbs under the limit and expect to do so.

Don't listen to all these neigh sayers. If you get on the horse and it collapses to the ground with four broken legs, I would go with a bigger horse. :p :D

Neigh sayers, get it?

I have not read this entire thread but just incase no one suggested this: Contact the tour and ask them! That way they can tell you if you will be allowed to ride or not before you get there - problem solved

Maybe you should have read the very last post, though. ;) :cool:

Don't you find it odd that if a Zipline says no one over 240lbs, you won't sneak on because your health and safety depends on it, but when it comes to the health and safety of a horse you are asking whether or not they enforce the maximum weight?!

FYI, I asked a zip line company about the weight restriction because I am a big guy! Their restriction was 275 and I was around 300 when I inquired about zip lining. I have what has been described as an "athletic" build (my waist is 10 inches smaller than my chest which is 52")

I told that to the zip lining company and they told me I would be fine as their concern is me fitting into the harness. the zip lines can hold someone/something that weighs over 1000 pounds as they are constructed but someone over 275 without the athletic build would have two problems - the harness would not fit and more importantly, they would most likely lack the upper body strength to stop themselves at each platform potentially causing all kinds of safety issues!

I did the zip lining in Belize without incident (and did it again last summer in Gatlinburg, TN!)

FYI, I have also been horseback riding - trail riding on a very stocky horse - and there were folks bigger than me riding that day as well!

So, my family of 5 are signed up for horseback riding in Cabo. I am a little heavier than my usual weight, right at 240. 240 is the weight restricition. Pretty sure that I can lose 5 lbs in the next 9 days or so. My wife tells me that I carry my weight well. (is she just saying that?)

The worry is, though, we do have 2 days at sea prior to the excursion, so I will be eating bad food i am sure if I don't "watch it". Also, what if their scales are heavy? We all know that scales don't weigh the same... few pounds either way.

Do I really need to worry so much about cutting weight? Is it worth watching what i eat (and drink) for the first two days of the cruise?

I read on a thread that the operator of a zip line excursion did pull out a scale for a customer, but I am thinking that may be more for safety?

Has anyone seen them pull out a scale on anyone for horseback riding?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Every time I ride in the Catskill they ask how much I weigh. And I always tell them.

Just wondering if anyone knows about weighing for the ATV excusion in St Maarten (through Island Marketing). There are 6 of us going and I know for a fact one person is over their limit (350), by how much I don't know - will they check?!?!

Randi has emailed my back promptly and promised me that she has some big and strong horses that "I won't feel sorry for".

That makes me feel better and hopefully the animal activists as well.

You will enjoy riding with Randi. She knows horses and never would do anything to put them in danger!!! So don't fret!!! :)

Just wondering if anyone knows about weighing for the ATV excusion in St Maarten (through Island Marketing). There are 6 of us going and I know for a fact one person is over their limit (350), by how much I don't know - will they check?!?!

How dare you torture an ATV like that. Think about the suspension!

Still not sure how this is a "me first" question. .

It's not...not at all.

Randi has emailed my back promptly and promised me that she has some big and strong horses that "I won't feel sorry for".

That makes me feel better and hopefully the animal activists as well.

I'm glad you went with Randi and fwiw, some of us are just a little compassionate...with some common sense. To have a heart doesn't make one an activist for goodness sake .

I have horses I'd put a 250 pound person on (or 2 125 pounders). Then I have horses that I, at 120, won't ever get on. You have to get a horse that will fit your needs. Randi will know what that horse is. I'd be worried that almost anyone else will take the risk because they want your money and I don't think you want that. Horses in Mexico DO tend to be quite a bit smaller than the horses in the US.

I have horses I'd put a 250 pound person on (or 2 125 pounders). Then I have horses that I, at 120, won't ever get on. You have to get a horse that will fit your needs. Randi will know what that horse is. I'd be worried that almost anyone else will take the risk because they want your money and I don't think you want that. Horses in Mexico DO tend to be quite a bit smaller than the horses in the US.

True but not Randi's! :)

I ride a lot, and we did the horseback ride by land and sea at HMC. BIL was over the 250 lb. wt limit by the time we reached HMC. (6 days of over-eating on the ship added 10 lbs - though he constantly said he hated the food!) They didn't ask his wt., but took one look at him and put him up on a nice, large, sturdy horse. They actually said the horses at HMC were retired racing quarterhorses from Jamaica. The other horses looked like they might have been, but his horse looked like it came straight from the plowfields. I felt sorry for the horse when BIL mounted and settled into the saddle - the horse actually groaned!:eek:

Archived