Can you board in Key West? (backup plan)

Holly2

We are booked on the Century 12/20/10 leaving out of Miami at 5. There is snow forecast for Boston; we are supposed to fly out at 6:40 am on the 20th. Just in case, do you think we could board the next day at Key West?

(Please do not tell me we should have booked flight for day before -- usually do, but for various reasons couldn't this time. We DO have trip insurance, but I want to get on the ship somehow...)

Unless the ship visits Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao or South America, the OP can't board in Key West and disembark in Miami.

It's a violation of the law, and they would be fined $300 per person. The cruise line can't tell them it's OK or the cruise line faces additional penalties for knowingly violating the law.

Passports aren't the issue. A non closed loop transit originating and terminating in US ports requires a distant foreign port as defined above, and doesn't include nearby foreign ports during the cruise.

I spoke to Captain's Club and the GFO person and neither thought boarding in Key west would be a problem. I even mentioned that I had heard in some cases it is not possible. (maybe an act of nature makes the difference...)

Was pleased that they are willing to work with us if there is a problem even though we booked our own air. Said to let them know as soon as possible if there is a problem. Though not sure what they can do if Logan closes...

I'm so sorry for the stress this must be causing you. I went through a similar weather related stress recently...really took a lot of the fun anticipation away that I usually enjoy...good luck! (BTW, we made it and it was fun. Just took me awhile to stop saying "We made it,whew!" and relax to enjoy that we were there! lol)

We are booked on the Century 12/20/10 leaving out of Miami at 5. There is snow forecast for Boston; we are supposed to fly out at 6:40 am on the 20th. Just in case, do you think we could board the next day at Key West?

(Please do not tell me we should have booked flight for day before -- usually do, but for various reasons couldn't this time. We DO have trip insurance, but I want to get on the ship somehow...)

We flew into Miami twice this year the same day as the ship departed. If you are on AA direct non-stop out of Logan you should not have any problem. Celebrity uses that same flight if booked through them, and AA has multiple direct flights each day. Snow is usually not a problem (usually big storms are).

Eclipse delayed departure for a number of hours because of guests who were delayed by a flight.

It's a 15 minute taxi ride to the ship.

What are the rest of the ports? Is this Century?

Btw, when flying the same day we only take carry-on luggage.

I spoke to Captain's Club and the GFO person and neither thought boarding in Key west would be a problem. I even mentioned that I had heard in some cases it is not possible. (maybe an act of nature makes the difference...)

Was pleased that they are willing to work with us if there is a problem even though we booked our own air. Said to let them know as soon as possible if there is a problem. Though not sure what they can do if Logan closes...

Despite what you were told, please don't plan on being able to use Key West as a backup. I know of at least two people that have been denied boarding in Key West after missing a sailing out of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale because the cruiseline just didn't want to deal with the PVSA issues. On other cruises, a few that were allowed to board but were fined $300 each.

Unless the ship visits Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao or South America, the OP can't board in Key West and disembark in Miami.

It's a violation of the law, and they would be fined $300 per person. The cruise line can't tell them it's OK or the cruise line faces additional penalties for knowingly violating the law.

Passports aren't the issue. A non closed loop transit originating and terminating in US ports requires a distant foreign port as defined above, and doesn't include nearby foreign ports during the cruise.

I got my near ports and my far-away ports confused. Thanks for correcting me, Annierie!

ouch -- there are 5 of us. doubt that cruise insurance would cover that. Just wanted a back up to take some of the pressure off. May try to get Jet blue to let us fly out early instead. We are booked into West Palm but might be able to get a flight to FL instead.

Thanks for the encouragement and support.

Mary, where can I find you onboard if we make it?

Holly,

Just curious, if you don't make it to the ship in time how are you getting to Key West? Renting a car or flying?

If you're renting a car it's a pretty long drive and will you be able to fit 5 ppl and all their luggage in a car?

With your flight I'm sure you'll be okay weather-wise. The forecast isn't predicting any major storms. Now you just have to worry about the plane.

Several years ago, we were in your shoes. We'd booked a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale and plane tix from Providence the morning of the cruise. The week before the cruise, a huge storm was predicted. We kept an eye on flight availability, decided to watch the track of the storm for a bit and see. When, a couple of days before it looked pretty bad, we rebooked our flight to fly one day ahead of the storm and booked a room at the airport Sheraton in Ft. Lauderdale. Best decision we ever made, as the blizzard that hit the east coast kept quite a number of people from making it onto our ship. That said, it would need to be a big storm to close Logan, and I haven't heard anything that sounds that dire. But keep an eye and don't be afraid to just bite the bullet and change your flight. The peace of mind alone may be worth it. Have a wonderful trip!

Flying in a day early is not always the magic answer. A few years ago I was on a New Year's eve Celebrity cruise (with Regis Philbin) - scheduled to fly in a day in advance. The day of my flight a major storm hit NYC and most flights were cancelled. Since it was a holiday weekend if your flight was cancelled there were no available seats for days. However, if you were booked to fly on the day of the cruise you had no problem - those flights left as scheduled. So - as with everything in life - preparation is important, but so is good luck. All the best for a safe and wonderful trip to the OP.

ouch -- there are 5 of us. doubt that cruise insurance would cover that. Just wanted a back up to take some of the pressure off. May try to get Jet blue to let us fly out early instead. We are booked into West Palm but might be able to get a flight to FL instead.

Thanks for the encouragement and support.

Mary, where can I find you onboard if we make it?

Holly, you're all going to make it!!! We'll see you at the Sunset Bar on Dec 11 for Sailaway. Is that OK? I'll wear some of those Fantasy Fest beads.

Mary

Unfortunately they did not provide you with accurate information. It would be a clear violation of the PVSA to board this cruise in Key West as the ship does not call upon a distant foreign port. Hopefully everything goes OK with your flight and you make the ship in time in Miami. Do call and see if the airline will allow you to change flights with no cost/fee if it looks like it will be a significant storm. Often times airlines will allow such changes if their is a major storm.

The ship's first stop after leaving Miami is Key West. The second stop is Cozumel. That should suffice for a foreign port.

Mary

No; a foreign port only satisfies the requirement for closed loop travel (starting and ending the cruise at the same port). If you board in one U.S. port (i.e. Key West) and end the cruise in another U.S. port (i.e. Miami) the ship MUST call upon a DISTANT FOREIGN PORT or else it is not legal. Cozumel is NOT a distant foreign port. Hopefully the OP makes the ship in Miami; it is highly doubtful they would be permitted to board in Key West (there would be a $300 per person fine; even if the OP agrees to pay this, the ship still likely would not allow it as their can be additional repercussions to the cruise line beyond the fine for allowing the PVSA to be violated).

Appreciate the clarification. I was under the impression that while not that distant, Cozumel would be considered a foreign port. Boarding in KW, wouldn't satisfy the requirements for the closed loop, but I thought it might for the foreign port.

At any rate, I do hope all works out and we see Holly and her family on board.

Mary

The following link may help answer this question.

Can I take a partial cruise

Appreciate the clarification. I was under the impression that while not that distant, Cozumel would be considered a foreign port. Boarding in KW, wouldn't satisfy the requirements for the closed loop, but I thought it might for the foreign port.

At any rate, I do hope all works out and we see Holly and her family on board.

Mary

For a closed loop cruise (involving a U.S. port of embarkation) the ship only has to visit any foreign port to satisfy the PSVA.

For a non-closed loop cruise where the first and last port are U.S. ports (i.e. Key West and Miami) the ship needs to visits a distant foreign port to satisfy the PSVA.

Cozumel is a foreign port (so OK for a closed loop cruise) but is not a distant foreign port (so not OK if starting the cruise in one U.S. city and ending in another U.S. city). No Canadian or Mexican ports are considered to be distant foreign ports.

The following link may help answer this question.

Can I take a partial cruise

Thanks for posting that.

It clarifies better than anything else said/written on this thread. Also re-confirms what Gonzo has been trying to explain.

Also makes it 100% crystal clear that emabarking in KeyWest just because the day of embarkation flight to Miami didnot make it ( thus 1 day before) wouldn't even be considered anyways as the passenger needs 7 days in advance to even ask for consideration ( never mind getting it...).

Cheers

Archived