Caribbean Princess Review (and the controversy) 12/5-12

cdamion

I know that one is not supposed to hang things off the balconies but I don't understand about the Puerto Rican flag being offensive. Is it more offensive than a state flag?:confused:

I certainly read it the way Eddie & Park did. I may have misunderstood, but still dislike the tone of the post. I know PR is part of the US but woder if all posters do- again refering to the tone in these posts.

Just thinking when I sail in April I will hold Princess staff responsible for keeping kids (American, Puerto Rican and any other variety aboard) from running around uncontrolled and out of the adult pools/areas. If parents can't control their children then Princess has to step in and do so. I don't care who pays what to get on the ship there are rules in place that are meant to be abided for everyones safety and enjoyment. I work in a school and this is my Spring Break. I don't intend to put up with unruly children while on vacation - If I did I'd sail with Disney. :rolleyes:

We want to take the ferry on our own to St. John in April. Can anyone tell me how easy or difficult this is, give advice and/or tell me how much time to allow? I've already read everything I can find in the PORTS posting, but nothing really informative there. We are in port from 7:00am to 6:00pm. We visited St. John through a cruise excursion last year and it was okay, but we'd really like to explore on our on this time. It is a beautiful island!!!

We want to take the ferry on our own to St. John in April. Can anyone tell me how easy or difficult this is, give advice and/or tell me how much time to allow? I've already read everything I can find in the PORTS posting, but nothing really informative there. We are in port from 7:00am to 6:00pm. We visited St. John through a cruise excursion last year and it was okay, but we'd really like to explore on our on this time. It is a beautiful island!!!

We took the ferry over and it left from downtown. I am about to go out but I have the info and can answer your post tomorrow with the times and where it leaves unless someone beats me to it. My understanding for the return to Crown Bay is a different time or ferry but I need to get my notes. In the meantime, do you know which port Crown Bay or Havensight? Happy New Years:)

We just got off a Celebrity cruise out of SJ in Dec. Our ship also had a good number of PR's, & we really enjoy the music & dancing. We also dance waltz, tango etc, but love to get down & merengue, salsa, soca to great music. We observed no behavior by anyone you could label as obtrusive. We love to sail out of SJ & always go down early for a few days. We just quit sailing on Princess because of the cabin/balcony smoking. Let me know when it changes.

Our balcony is too important to us in the Caribbean.

We took the ferry over and it left from downtown. I am about to go out but I have the info and can answer your post tomorrow with the times and where it leaves unless someone beats me to it. My understanding for the return to Crown Bay is a different time or ferry but I need to get my notes. In the meantime, do you know which port Crown Bay or Havensight? Happy New Years:)

I think it is Crown Bay. We are sailing on Caribbean Princess. I would really appreciate any info you can share. While we are not newbies to cruising we've always stuck with Cruise endorsed excursions. We are looking to branch out this trip.

I think it is Crown Bay. We are sailing on Caribbean Princess. I would really appreciate any info you can share. While we are not newbies to cruising we've always stuck with Cruise endorsed excursions. We are looking to branch out this trip.

These are from my notes when we took the ferry last year, I also have info for other self excursions if you are going by the way of Aruba direction. On the other route we did not take any tours. So here you go for St. John from St. Thomas:

There are two ferries, one from downtown Charlotte Amalie and one from Redhook. The ferry area is just at the start of the shopping district, across from Vendor’s Plaza. The Charlotte Amalie ferry is about 1.4 miles from Havensight Cruise Ship Dock area and about 1.7 miles from the Crown Bay Dock area. A taxi from Havensight to the Charlotte Amalie ferry is $5 pp. A taxi to Red Hook pier is 10 pp. and takes 20 minutes in low traffic.

Both ferries arrive in Cruz Bay St. John. Right at the end of the ferry dock there is a taxi stand and usually half a dozen to a dozen taxi drivers waiting around. Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay is $6 pp for the taxi. It takes about 12-15 minutes. Cruz Bay to Cinammon Bay is $7 for taxi.

Trunk Bay $4. Cinammon Bay one bay over from Trunk is free. Snorkel/Mask/Fins: $5 plus $25 deposit, hours 9-3. Chairs $7 to rent ($25 deposit). No umbrellas.

WARNING - the return ferries from St. John back to St. Thomas are supposed to leave on the hour but can run 20-30 minutes late. Plan to be at the ferry for the return trip at least 15 minutes before departure. Best bet is not to take the last possible ferry that would get you back on time, take at least the one before that – just in case you don’t get on that one or something happens at least you have one more option.

From Red Hook:

Rates: One-way, $7.00/Adults Telephone: (340) 776-6282, (340) 776-6412

Time: 15 to 20 minutes

Leaving Red Hook, St. Thomas

Leaving Cruz Bay, St. John

6:30 am, 7:30 am then hourly from 8:00 am to Midnight

Hourly from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm

From Charlotte Amalie (every 2 hours):

Transportation Services and Varlack Ventures

Rates: One-way, $11.00/Adults Telephone: (340) 776-6282, (340) 776-6412

Time: 40 to 45 minutes

Leaving Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

9:00 am

11:00 am

1:00 pm

3:00 pm

4:00 pm

5:30 pm

7:15 am

9:15 am

11:15 am

1:15 pm

2:15 pm

3:45 pm

These are from my notes when we took the ferry last year, I also have info for other self excursions if you are going by the way of Aruba direction. On the other route we did not take any tours. So here you go for St. John from St. Thomas:

There are two ferries, one from downtown Charlotte Amalie and one from Redhook. The ferry area is just at the start of the shopping district, across from Vendor’s Plaza. The Charlotte Amalie ferry is about 1.4 miles from Havensight Cruise Ship Dock area and about 1.7 miles from the Crown Bay Dock area. A taxi from Havensight to the Charlotte Amalie ferry is $5 pp. A taxi to Red Hook pier is 10 pp. and takes 20 minutes in low traffic.

Both ferries arrive in Cruz Bay St. John. Right at the end of the ferry dock there is a taxi stand and usually half a dozen to a dozen taxi drivers waiting around. Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay is $6 pp for the taxi. It takes about 12-15 minutes. Cruz Bay to Cinammon Bay is $7 for taxi.

Trunk Bay $4. Cinammon Bay one bay over from Trunk is free. Snorkel/Mask/Fins: $5 plus $25 deposit, hours 9-3. Chairs $7 to rent ($25 deposit). No umbrellas.

WARNING - the return ferries from St. John back to St. Thomas are supposed to leave on the hour but can run 20-30 minutes late. Plan to be at the ferry for the return trip at least 15 minutes before departure. Best bet is not to take the last possible ferry that would get you back on time, take at least the one before that – just in case you don’t get on that one or something happens at least you have one more option.

From Red Hook:

Rates: One-way, $7.00/Adults Telephone: (340) 776-6282, (340) 776-6412

Time: 15 to 20 minutes

Leaving Red Hook, St. Thomas

6:30 am, 7:30 am then hourly from 8:00 am to Midnight

Hourly from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm

From Charlotte Amalie (every 2 hours):

Transportation Services and Varlack Ventures

Rates: One-way, $11.00/Adults Telephone: (340) 776-6282, (340) 776-6412

Time: 40 to 45 minutes

Leaving Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

9:00 am

11:00 am

1:00 pm

3:00 pm

4:00 pm

5:30 pm

7:15 am

9:15 am

11:15 am

1:15 pm

2:15 pm

3:45 pm

Thank you so much. I would appreciate any other information you have. We are going to Tortola, Antigua, Barbados and St. Lucia. DH is more the adventerous type and I am more the worrier ~ you know what if all the ferries break down and the ship leaves without us. I'm going to try to relax this trip :)

Thank you so much. I would appreciate any other information you have. We are going to Tortola, Antigua, Barbados and St. Lucia. DH is more the adventerous type and I am more the worrier ~ you know what if all the ferries break down and the ship leaves without us. I'm going to try to relax this trip :)

You're welcome. I had the Norovirus on that leg of the trip so before I knew I had it but wasn't feeling too well we just stayed in port and walked around and took a taxi to the town in Barbados and walked around. St. Lucia is where we planned a tour but I was full blown noro by then. We still need to go back. The folks in Antigua were lovely and Tortola is the place where people like to go to the baths across the way at Virgin Gorda which I believe there is a ferry to. I know the forums of these ports are full of info as well as the sister site, trip advisor. Sorry I can't help you on this leg of the trip but the other leg I can.

I do remember the water being on the rough side in Barbados and don't remember it being really pretty but the town is a good size.

:confused:

We sailed on the Caribbean B2B Dec 5-17,2010.

We love the crew and its officers very much. This was our third time with the Caribbean and third time B2B.

We witnessed the following the first week:

Bonaire-someone on 5th foolr flew a Puerto Rican flag on the balcony next to the life boats-I called security! this took place after the Cpt told everyone at the Muster drill it is not allowed have anything out there,

Witnessed the Comedy show interrupted by unsupervised children, as well as the Piazza entertainment interrupted by local PR'S playing and singing drums.

We saw a piece of art work ruined with a hole in it by the kids, security running around getting kids out of the spa pool, yelling and screaming in the main dining rooms by the locals and long lines at the passenger service desk with locals canceling there cabin tips!!!

I know for a fact the crew lost out big time and the Caribbean lost money by the locals not paying for anything. We saw alcohol smuggeled in locals pockets from the Islands and yes we witnessed a fist fight.

fares paid went as low as $150-300/week-I know this as a fact from the locals[i speak Spanish].

I love the PR islands and its people but unfortuneately with Princess trying fill up the ship it lowered prices to where those locals from outlining areas came and litterally took over the ship by staying from 6am-11pm on the Piazza and Horizon Courts and decks without moving-bringing chairs/tables together to where no one else could take there food outside to eat-they had to stay in the Horizon. We witnessed elevators held up, kids roaming the Decks Dolphin and Caribe at Midnight and kids trying get into ones Cabin by climbing over balconies and checking to see if your patio door was locked!!-we heard this from Security! We know someone who's camera was stolen.

We also had been yelled out when we boarded Sunday at 11:15am when Princess allowed Elite/Plat members to form another line and the riff raft booed-yelled-screamed at the Americanos because we were allowed to Board first!

Princess needs to reconsider the low fares-they did not make any money from the locals-they need to offer incentives to those passengers who are willing pay more for things on board-offer more OBC, discounts on spas/tours/free balcony brkfst/upgrades-more of them/etc

Also FYI-alot of the locals all got on Board without a credit card on file and paid everything in cash when Passenger Service called them down to pay for there cabin tips and alcohol.

I wrote to Pass Src officer and spoke to the Maitre D-Cpt-others about what happened and submitted 15 pts for Princess to consider down the road.

When disembarktation occurred alot of Elite and Plat members in the Wheelhse stated they would never go out of SanJuan because of alot of bad instances by those who were rude-obnoxious-knew nothing of etiquette and could/would not control there children.

I will continue to sail with Princess but will not sail out of SanJuan from the week before Thanksgiving to week before Christmas.

Just to say I am local and live Puerto Rico and I have been reading this post for many days as I was on this cruise with other 150 friends and family members celebrating a Sweet 16th birthday of a very special family member.

I know many of my compatriots are kind of loud and love to dance and party, and I completely respect all your opinions and comments but I want to make a clear point here, not every local onboard pay $ 150.00 to board the ship and I bet any of them pay that as only Taxes and feeds for the Caribbean Princess here are about $ 203.00 p/p so even if the cruise is free they have to pay that. For example my entire group booked this cruise a year in advance and we didn’t do the reservations here on the island we did them directly with princess, as they were in charge of coordinating our private birthday celebration onboard. In my group there were Doctor, Nurses, Lawyers, Me personally being a professional engineer and I didn’t pay $ 150.00 bucks for my mini-suite on dolphin deck. A big part of my group including me are princess past passengers and we range from gold to elite members; we do have access to priority line as a platinum members it’s a right so why yell? “Americano” if we are American’s and Have a US passport. My group spent big amounts of money on this cruise, and the cruise line got a lot of revenue from my friends and family as we pre-coordinated a 3 hour open bar for 100 people, 2 cakes, hot-wings, nachos, and music for a especial celebration and they were pretty happy of having us onboard you can ask Alex Muldahair the Guest Relations Manager as we tip him big after his help and dedication on making this celebration a unique one. As far as I know, anyone on my group removed the tips we even tip extra for the great service we receive. It’s kind of weird you know many locals onboard didn’t have a credit card, also you were able to hear and understand conversations of people telling how much they paid for the cruise and you spent big time sneaking security to her news on what Puerto Ricans were doing … your vacations from my point were incredible fun ! …. but to make you happy I file my American Express.

Your comments are generalizing and be for sure not every local onboard was having that attitude I speak for a big part of them. :cool:

I'm checking the local paper today (El Nuevo Día) and one agency is advertising a fare for CB for the next two sailings of $174/pp double interior (assume guarantee, no category is given) plus $233.43 taxes = $407.43. On the Princess site an interior guarantee comes up for $457 pp for the same date (and it would probably be lower with a good TA; I use a Miami-based TA and I've never paid anything close to what the cruiselines advertise). Not exactly a huge savings for "locals" vs. "foreigners" and, regarding what a PP said about getting these low fares, AFAIK anyone can get the $407 fare by contacting a TA -- it doesn't mention residency requirements. Obviously, you have to factor in the cost of the airfare to get here :rolleyes:.

To jouset_345, con todo respeto I could not read your post because of the size of your font. It made me all cross-eyed :(. And it looks like yelling (at least I perceived it as being very aggressive, forgive me if there was another reason why you used this size)

I've done a Southern Caribbean cruise from San Juan twice recently. Two years ago I was on the Caribbean Princess and last year I was on the Carnival Victory. Both cruises were during Thanksgiving week. Yes, there were a lot of Puerto Ricans on board. Do I care how much they paid? Nope. It's no different than all the Floridians or New Yorkers or Californians on other cruises. I imagine there will be a substantial amount of locals on my Mediterranean cruise later this year.

IMO how much people pay for a cabin in no way has anything to do with how they act. And that's of more concern to me. Obnoxious behavior, and polite behavior come with all income levels.

I have to tell you, if they ever drop the prices for cruises out of Baltimore (my "home" port), lots of locals will be on those cruises too. Will people some day be complaining about us too?

In reguards to the demographic's debate affecting the cruise, this is nothing new when cruising at the end of november or early december, when traditionally all the the cruiselines litterally slash price to fill ships.

One only has to go back to earlier years on these dates here on CC and read the exact same comments, either about San Juan departures reguarding Puerto Ricans or Fort Lauderdale and the demographic of an entire ship of retired Floridians..

But in the end, a cruise is what you make of it :)

Srpilo

I think for our Emerald Thanksgiving Cruise this year we had the "retired Floridian" crowd aboard with us.....I've never seen so many scooters and oxygen tanks on a ship....But boy did we have a rip roaring good time. It was hard keeping up with some of those cute biddies during line dance lessons! I met some wonderful, interesting people who could tell some great stories. While I have to admit that I kind of got a bit worried when I first boarded the ship and saw the crowd, I must also admit that this group was aboard to have fun and live life. They sure did, and so did I!

Jouset-

While I completely understand your comments, printing them in such large print is by all business, professional standards is YELLING!

This has been a very lively and interesting thread and I have enjoyed the comments before my upcoming March 13, 2011 SJU Southern Caribbean Explorer cruise.

I would definitely not look at any group of people and judge, but I for one do expect the rules to be followed. I also paid a good price for my AA Dolphin Mini Suite and would expect that Princess maintain standards in the dining rooms that I have to share with everyone and in all other public areas.

Let's all look forward to World Peace:D:D

Archived