Miami

Baronent

Taking Carnival out of Miami in about 4 weeks. I am sure it is posted here many times, but I can not find it. What is the best place to stay in Miami where they include a shuttle to and or from the ship? I am looking for a nice hotel that is close to areas where it is safe to walk around with children. Thanks~!

The shuttle thing is tough in Miami. Mostly out by the airport - some of those have shuttle service but there's not much to do in the area.

Downtown you would have to cab it to the ship, but it's close to the port and cheap cab fare. You don't want to walk around at night downtown, though.

Prepare for sticker shock for January in Miami. I know I was completely floored by the hotel prices - same hotel we spent $129 on a few cruises ago in July was $400 a night for January. Some hotels I saw were going for $1000 a night!!!:eek::eek::eek: Even not-so-nice places were running around $200 a night.

We ended up booking a package with the airport Marriott that included breakfast and cruise transportation for two - I think it was another $11 per person for each additional. No transportation afterwards but we are flying so will take a cab straight to the airport.

Several hotels by the airport, like the Days Inn, have free transportation to/from the airport and to/from the cruise terminal.

However, the area around the airport is not what I would call touristy or necessarily safe, specially the hotels along 36th street on the north side of the airport.

Bite the bullet and pay more for a nicer hotel in a better area, even if they don't have free transportation...

Look for hotels near MIA in the Blue Lagoon area (Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, and many others)- almost all offer free shuttle from the airport. Shopping center just a short walk away - actually across the street from the Hampton Inn (Starbucks, Publix grocery, liquor store :D, etc.) along with several dining options (Chinese, Italian, and Casa Juan for great and inexpensive Cuban food :cool:) + fast food options.

Most hotels can arrange for commercial shuttle service to POM for about $10 per passenger, or you can cab it for under $30 including tip. A cab back to MIA after your cruise is a flat rate of $24+tip. Good luck! :)

If you're only looking for a place to stay for the night, shuttle from airport to hotel, and then to pier, and continental breakfast, the LaQuinta Miami Airport East on LeJeune is a good hotel, and cheap rates. You can get it on LQ.comn for $100-115.

Several hotels by the airport, like the Days Inn, have free transportation to/from the airport and to/from the cruise terminal.

Wasn't the days inn voted by some magazine to be the worst hotel in country a few years ago?

If you want to stay at the airport, I'd try priceline for 3 or 4 star hotels. I did this five years ago and got the Sofitel for about $80, which was a very, very nice place(much nicer than Hilton).

Taking Carnival out of Miami in about 4 weeks. I am sure it is posted here many times, but I can not find it. What is the best place to stay in Miami where they include a shuttle to and or from the ship? I am looking for a nice hotel that is close to areas where it is safe to walk around with children. Thanks~!

Holiday Inn Port of Miami. Though it does not offer a complimentary shuttle, it is close enough to the airport that the rate is only $25 or so.

HIPOM is directly across the street from the Bayside Marketplace. There are restaurants and shops galore. There are traffic and pedestrian lights at the intersection, so it is safe. The hotel is also so close to the port, that it costs very little for a taxi. We always stay there when we sail from Miami. I love watching the ships come in to port, a bonus.

Hi-

I live but a few blocks south of the Holiday Inn and across the street from the Intercontinental. The area is “relatively” safe for a large city and as the other posters stated, there are numerous nice hotels and restaurants in the area. For a few bucks more, try the Ritz Carlton on Key Biscayne or Mandarin Oriental. Have fun!

:)Also, the Days Inn @ Miami International Airport on NW 11 st, AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

Archived