Splendor update on Carnival.com

e71465

I copied and pasted this from Carnival.com

We're due to sail on the Splendor February 20th, the first sailing but I'm begining to wonder if she'll be ready by then....

Carnival Splendor Update

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES CANCELS ADDITIONAL VOYAGES OF CARNIVAL SPLENDOR AS REPAIRS CONTINUE

Ship Now Scheduled to Re-Enter Service February 20

MIAMI (December 15, 2010) – Carnival Cruise Lines has cancelled additional departures of the Carnival Splendor including the January 16, 23, 30 and February 6 and 13, 2011, voyages to allow for additional repair time following an engine room fire aboard the vessel in November. The ship is now scheduled to re-enter service February 20, 2011.

As repairs have progressed and damaged components tested, additional issues have been discovered. Also, some of the needed parts are not readily available and are being manufactured in Europe. The ship is currently in San Diego, however, it will sail to San Francisco in mid-January where repairs will be completed at a dry dock facility.

"We sincerely apologize to our guests for having to cancel these additional cruises," said Gerry Cahill, Carnival's president and CEO. "We made our best effort back in November to estimate the necessary repair time with a strong goal of not having to modify it at a later point in time. Unfortunately, as the repairs have progressed and we have discovered additional issues, it is now clear that we need more time. We know this is extremely disappointing for our guests and particularly disheartening for those who already had their vacations cancelled once and are now being affected again."

Guests booked on the cancelled voyages will receive a refund or future cruise credit equal to the amount paid, along with reimbursement of air transportation-related change fees. Those who re-book may also receive a 25 percent future cruise discount and/or onboard credit depending on the ship and sailing date of the new booking. Additional details are available at carnival.com.

Carnival is contacting travel agents and guests affected by the new cancellations to provide assistance. Travel agent commissions on cancelled sailings are being protected.

Carnival Splendor operates year-round seven-day Mexican Riviera voyages from Long Beach, Calif.

personally, i wouldn't be waiting.

not only would i not want to be on that first sailing, i wouldn't want to gamble with another potential postponement.

i would be on the phone working with my ta, pvp, or carnival making alternative plans making sure i didn't incur any additional out of pocket expenses.

and i wouldn't wait just so i could receive any obc.

i was reading with amazement at the posts of those thinking there was only going to be one missed sailing.

I'm honestly hoping for it to be canceled. I don't really want to be on the first voyage but don't get me wrong, if she's sailing on Feb 20th, I'll be on her!! I also don't like the idea of waiting for Carnival to let us know that it's candelled. I will gladly take my 25% off and $200 on board credit and book the 9 day out of San Diego. We've insured our trip but if we cancel the Splendor and rebook on another Carnival ship will we have any transfer/cancellation fees?

I'm honestly hoping for it to be canceled. I don't really want to be on the first voyage but don't get me wrong, if she's sailing on Feb 20th, I'll be on her!! I also don't like the idea of waiting for Carnival to let us know that it's candelled. I will gladly take my 25% off and $200 on board credit and book the 9 day out of San Diego. We've insured our trip but if we cancel the Splendor and rebook on another Carnival ship will we have any transfer/cancellation fees?

Read the instructions carefully, if your cruise on the 20th gets canceled, you won't get a $200 OBC, only the first cancellations due to the fire got that.

"If previously booked on a Carnival Splendor sailing scheduled to depart 11/14/10 - 1/09/11, you may select from options 1, 2 or 3 AND receive an On Board Credit of $200 per cabin when rebooking any future Carnival cruise.

All others (not previously affected by another fire related cancellation) who select options 1 or 2 on a 7- day Carnival Splendor voyage departing between 2/20/11 - 5/22/11 OR a 7-day Carnival sailing departing between 1/15/11 – 2/13/11, will receive an On Board Credit of $50 per cabin"

"When you rebook, you may select from one

1. Rate protection on any 7-day Carnival Splendor voyage

2. Rate protection on any other 7-day Carnival voyage between 1/15/11 - 2/13/11

3. 25% future cruise discount on any 2-9 day future Carnival cruise"

So the only people that can get the $200 are the sailings from 11/14 to 1/09/11. Plus, the way I read that, the $50 OBC is only good for options 1 or 2, not option 3.

If Carnival doesn't cancel and you do, any cancellation charges will apply. If you cancel and later Carnival cancels your cruise, I doubt you would get anything since you canceled first.

I wonder when they will tell us what was the overarching causation of the fire? That has been the big question in my mind for some time now.

It's up to the Panamanian authorities to release the findings as they are the primary investigative body for the incident. Members of the US NTSB are acting in an advisory capacity only and Carnival can't release anything before Panama does...

:)

We are booked on the Feb 20th sailing taking all of our adult children and husbands 9 of us going 4 cabins booked. I am a little nervous now being the first sailing since being fixed. Quite frustrating waiting to see if they are going to change the canellations again or go the the 20th. I guess we will just wait and see and hope for the best. Good luck to everyone.

Anyone else nervous who is booked for the 20th??:confused:

Archived