Developmentally Delayed Cruise Group?

Maple_Girl

Where can I should I look to find information on a cruise for developmentally delayed people? My mom and I are looking to take my two foster brothers on a cruise. They are both developmentally delayed and really enjoy hanging out with other special needs people. I guess what I'm looking for is a cruise group that we can join. We're hoping for one that has special socializing and activities for my brothers or a cruise that has day care for folks who have special needs. I have no idea where to start looking. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Sorry. They are not children. Ed is 30 but functions at the level of about a 5-year-old. He is very social. He goes to a group center a couple of times a week with other adults with special needs. They play Wii games and have dance parties. I guess we are looking for some group activities like this on a cruise. Joe is 65 and has dementia. He is quiet, easy going and would most likely prefer to stay with my mom and I while Ed goes off and does the social butterfly thing. I see these wonderful children's groups on cruises and I know that Ed would just love them. But of course he's too old for those groups. We're looking for a cruise that has similar groups for special needs adults. I can't imagine there is a cruise ship that has this, so I'm looking for a group that caters to special needs adults and their caregivers.

We chatted it up with our daughter's friends' parents and make up a group on our own. We had a great time and contacted the special needs dept of NCL who worked with us with suggestions. Just keep it simple with no rushing. That can throw a monkey wrench in the works. Pick the group that is most compatable and has socialized well before and do not make it too large. Good luck.

Where can I should I look to find information on a cruise for developmentally delayed people? My mom and I are looking to take my two foster brothers on a cruise. They are both developmentally delayed and really enjoy hanging out with other special needs people. I guess what I'm looking for is a cruise group that we can join. We're hoping for one that has special socializing and activities for my brothers or a cruise that has day care for folks who have special needs. I have no idea where to start looking. Any ideas?

Thank you!

I just did a Google Search for: Adult Developmentally Delayed Cruise and found "Friends of Quinn"

Their Home Page is here: http://www.friendsofquinn.com/

What made me go to their pages is their listing in Google:

"For adult, 18+, learning disabled and developmentally delayed ... Apr 21, 2009 ... For adult, 18+, learning disabled and developmentally delayed adults in ... the group even did a 4 day and 7 day cruise on Carnival...with a ..." which brought me to this page: http://www.friendsofquinn.com/share/c/96757/406/adult-developmentally

It sounds like they would be able to give you some really good advice if you email them...

Wish I could be of more help:(

Joanie

Contact your local ARC. They used to be called Association for Retarded Children, then Association for Retarded Citizens, and sometimes are called just "ARC". They might have information for you about group cruises. UCP -- United Cerebral Palsy -- also might be a resource.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I'm late to your post, but I maybe you can check out guided tours.

http://www.guidedtour.com/

The provide supervised travel groups for individuals with developmental disabilities.

They provide staff so caregivers don't have to attend, but I'm sure that you could inquire where the groups are going and join in.

Or you could also send your brothers on trip themselves, they go everywhere!

Archived