Comparison of Epic and RCCL's Oasis

coffeebean

NCL's Epic and Oasis/Allure have more in common than all other ships. Entertainment has been taken to another level on both of these class ships. Show and dining reservations can be done online for Epic and Oasis/Allure. No other ships are doing that....yet. The experience on board both of these class ships is very different from all other cruise ships I have been on. Oasis/Allure can only be compared to Epic and Epic to Oasis/Allure, IMHO.

Oasis/Allure and Epic do not offer the traditional cruise experience. That is why I was compelled to compare these two class ships.

Both ships are examples of how a cruise ship can handle a HUGE crowd of passengers.

Epic is an example of how it should not be done.

Oasis.... I will see it on Allure (although I for sure know what to expect).

That is what two ships have in common - dealing with a huge crowd.

Another "link" is Epic advertising hype that describes... more likely Osis than Epic - so distant the reality on Epic is from what is advertised.

Allure is a dream ship of Epic marketologists.

Entertainment has been taken to another level on both of these class ships.

Oh, please...

May be "another level" but in the opposite direction.

Just two main shows in a small Epic theatre complemented with mini performances in several bars (some of them for extra charge)...

coffeebean, we have already booked five major shows on Allure.

Free of charge.

Will there be comedians, painos, etc.? Yes they will. As they would on any huge ship.

:rolleyes:

Dare I even ask why you think Epic did a poor job handling large amounts of people? Most people that post their experience say the embarkation and debarkation processes were painless, and they never felt that the ship was crowded.

Probably a challenge on the Epic. Since I've not ordered room service before I don't know how big of a deal this is. The table on the balcony isn't really sized for a big tray either.

"Probably"?

But this was "for sure":

They chose to have more storage and less of what you call "living space"

Were you in their design laboratory during those sleepless nights when they were making their epic "choice"?

There you go again, stating your opinion as fact.

"Probably"?

But this was "for sure":

Were you in their design laboratory during those sleepless nights when they were making their epic "choice"?

There you go again, stating your opinion as fact.

You're right. It wasn't a choice. The rooms magically appear in this configuration by themselves. :rolleyes:

You're actually correct in one regard. We don't know if the decision to eliminate the table was at all related to the issue of storage space. Could it be possible to do both? Maybe. I don't know enough about the Oasis room layout to see where they might have added more storage. The point I was making, and you seem to ignore, is that what's important to you isn't necessarily important to others. Some love the rooms. Some hate them. It grates on my nerves when a person (you) says a room is "substandard" when it's simply not your cup of tea. I would call the room "above standard" using the same opinion-based reasoning. I loved the split bathroom. I loved the lack of table. I loved the storage. I loved the bed. Does that make the room above standard for everyone? Absolutely not, just like your preferences don't make a room substandard.

Isn't the table usually used for the room service tray? How is that handled on the Epic?

There is no space for that in Epic cabin.

That's another portion of Epic "more choices" myth.

Is it your choice to use or not to use the table for the room service or for whatever you want?

No. They decided ("during sleepless nights") that you would not have that choice.

Is it your choice to see a major show in the theatre, or a small performance in a bar, or both?

No. They decided that 2 shows would be enough for you. Go to the bar!

Same about dining, etc.

The record is skipping again.

I can't help but to reference all of the reviews that state that the entertainment options on the Epic were second to none. Even the people that don't like the rooms, lack of promenade or even the food seem to have loved the entertainment options. I'd take one Blue Man show over a dozen of typical cruise line productions (except for the Disney shows on the Magic..they were great)

Lusitanica, everything that you have posted indicates that you prefer a more traditional cruise. You like the "big theater" shows, would prefer a more standard room with enclosed bathroom and a small table, etc. I don't fault you for that. Everyone has their preferences. The Epic is different (not substandard) and clearly not your cup of tea. Others, like me, loved it. There is no right or wrong or black and white here. It's what people like and don't like, which is why it's good that there are so many cruise options out there. I'm clearly wasting people's monitor ink by arguing with you. There's no right or wrong answer when it comes to opinions, and smart people reading your remarks will realize they are seeing YOUR point of view regardless of how much you state them as facts.

Happy holidays

You're right. It wasn't a choice. The rooms magically appear in this configuration by themselves. :rolleyes:

You're actually correct in one regard. We don't know if the decision to eliminate the table was at all related to the issue of storage space. Could it be possible to do both? Maybe. I don't know enough about the Oasis room layout to see where they might have added more storage. The point I was making, and you seem to ignore, is that what's important to you isn't necessarily important to others. Some love the rooms. Some hate them. It grates on my nerves when a person (you) says a room is "substandard" when it's simply not your cup of tea. I would call the room "above standard" using the same opinion-based reasoning. I loved the split bathroom. I loved the lack of table. I loved the storage. I loved the bed. Does that make the room above standard for everyone? Absolutely not, just like your preferences don't make a room substandard.

Mike, what "extra storage" on Epic....

You know for sure that storage was their least concern.

Their idea was "wavy upheaval" to fit more cabins. They have squeezed cabins so badly that there is no space even for a bathroom. Some corners in cabins turned out to be "neither a candle for God nor a poker for the Devil". Example - a curved stone hard sofa that is useless as a sofa but provides "extra storage".

Mike, we have just been on the Ruby Princess.

Pillows and linen were kept in the sofa. Walk-in closet was huge. Everything was kept out of sight. The furniture in the cabin was half empty (3 people). Comfortable bathroom. Total privacy. Plenty of "living space".

BTW

We are not moving, we are cruising.

The record is skipping again.

I can't help but to reference all of the reviews that state that the entertainment options on the Epic were second to none. Even the people that don't like the rooms, lack of promenade or even the food seem to have loved the entertainment options. I'd take one Blue Man show over a dozen of typical cruise line productions (except for the Disney shows on the Magic..they were great)

Lusitanica, everything that you have posted indicates that you prefer a more traditional cruise. You like the "big theater" shows, would prefer a more standard room with enclosed bathroom and a small table, etc. I don't fault you for that. Everyone has their preferences. The Epic is different (not substandard) and clearly not your cup of tea. Others, like me, loved it. There is no right or wrong or black and white here. It's what people like and don't like, which is why it's good that there are so many cruise options out there. I'm clearly wasting people's monitor ink by arguing with you. There's no right or wrong answer when it comes to opinions, and smart people reading your remarks will realize they are seeing YOUR point of view regardless of how much you state them as facts.

Happy holidays

I can't help but to reference all of the reviews that state that the entertainment options on the Epic were second to none.

Mike, wrong approach.

I am not talking about my preferences. This is private.

I am talking (and most important - posting photos and videos) of what I see.

I don't argue. I posted the comparison photo above - it says everything.

It says more than the whole page of words.

When I say "there are 2 major shows" on Epic it means that there are 2 major shows on Epic.

4 shows on Ruby means 4 shows on Ruby.

5 shows on Allure means 5 shows on Allure.

I guess "smart people" read this as written (without switching the topic to "my preferences").

Happy holidays and wonderful cruises next year!:)

I guess "smart people" read this as written (without switching the topic to "my preferences").

Happy holidays and wonderful cruises next year!:)

Thanks for the insult there. I consider myself a very smart person and what I see are your preferences only. You like shows, maybe I don't. You like a standard bathroom setup, maybe I'll be fine with what the Epic has to offer me. Pretty sure you love coffee tables, maybe ... oh nevermind. I think you know where I'm going with this comparison.

I totally agree with Mike - this ship is not for everyone (it seems you in particular) but it is many things to others. As I have said many times before, I know what to expect thanks to many review - including yours - and I know I will have a GREAT time! None of your negative points are deal breakers for me.

Enjoy your cruise on the Allure (and I truly mean that). I'll be watching for your review.

I concur!

Both ships are examples of how a cruise ship can handle a HUGE crowd of passengers.

Epic is an example of how it should not be done.

Oasis.... I will see it on Allure (although I for sure know what to expect).

That is what two ships have in common - dealing with a huge crowd.

Another "link" is Epic advertising hype that describes... more likely Osis than Epic - so distant the reality on Epic is from what is advertised.

Allure is a dream ship of Epic marketologists.

Oh, please...

May be "another level" but in the opposite direction.

Just two main shows in a small Epic theatre complemented with mini performances in several bars (some of them for extra charge)...

coffeebean, we have already booked five major shows on Allure.

Free of charge.

Will there be comedians, painos, etc.? Yes they will. As they would on any huge ship.

I like the smaller venues on Epic and Oasis has small venues for a couple of shows also. The main showroom on Epic was small and intimate with excellent sight lines everywhere. Folks including myself have claimed there is not one bad seat in Epic's main theater. There are no poles at all in this showroom and I have no idea how the engineers did that.

What 5 major shows are there on Allure? The major shows on Oasis are Hairspray and Come Fly With Me in the main showroom and Oasis of Dreams in the Aqua Theater. I don't recall any other shows in the main theater which would be considered a major show.

Thanks for the insult there. I consider myself a very smart person and what I see are your preferences only. You like shows, maybe I don't. You like a standard bathroom setup, maybe I'll be fine with what the Epic has to offer me. Pretty sure you love coffee tables, maybe ... oh nevermind. I think you know where I'm going with this comparison.

I totally agree with Mike - this ship is not for everyone (it seems you in particular) but it is many things to others. As I have said many times before, I know what to expect thanks to many review - including yours - and I know I will have a GREAT time! None of your negative points are deal breakers for me.

Enjoy your cruise on the Allure (and I truly mean that). I'll be watching for your review.

Sorry, no insult intended. I am quoting sdmike.

My preferences again?

What if I say that I hate shows? Will it change anything in Epic/Ruby/Allure entertainment program?

The answer is obviuos: nothing.

Thank you.

Happy cruising to you too!:)

OK, I don't want to get into another never ending "my cruise line is better than your cruise line" but next month on the Epic, when the room service guy knocks on the door......where do I tell him to put the tray?

The toilet?:eek: :D (sorry, couldn't resist)

Honestly, I'll just tell him to put it onto the couch.

I like the smaller venues on Epic and Oasis has small venues for a couple of shows also. The main showroom on Epic was small and intimate with excellent sight lines everywhere. Folks including myself have claimed there is not one bad seat in Epic's main theater. There are no poles at all in this showroom and I have no idea how the engineers did that.

What 5 major shows are there on Allure? The major shows on Oasis are Hairspray and Come Fly With Me in the main showroom and Oasis of Dreams in the Aqua Theater. I don't recall any other shows in the main theater which would be considered a major show.

Honestly I don't like to use cruise lines' semantics but: CHICAGO 90 Min , Headliner Show 50 Min, Blue Planet 50 Min, Ice Games! 45 min, OceanAria 45 Min.

I include the the water show and the ice show in the list.

We had 4 shows in the Ruby Princess theatre - no poles there either, excellent sight lines everywhere. In addition there were small venues for pianos, comedians, cirque, dancing, games....

In answer to my own question, after scrolling through a ton of tips on

"2010-cruiser's" The List thread :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1252754&highlight=2010_cruisers&page=12

This came up:

...and there is a slide-out small table (like a desk) directly above the mini-fridge.

Has anyone else noticed this table? Maybe this is the answer to the missing coffee table.

Lusitania, have you been on The Epic? The counter over the fridge/minibar is plenty large enough for a tray. If you don't have your room totally cluttered, there is no crawling to be done to get around the bed when the couch is by the balconey. Granted, its not a large space to walk through, but we managed just fine. The extra storage space was NOT on top of the couch but in the back of the couch, under the couch and up above the couch in the cupboards there. An amazing amount of storage, loved it! Usually just getting the suitcases out of the way is a major problem but not on the Epic. Only time I have had this much storage was when I was solo in a cabin.

I think both ships are great additions for us cruisers to choose between. I personally don't like the typical song and dance shows put on by the cruise line and don't care for musicals all that much. I didn't even have time in my 7 night cruise to attend all the shows available. I am glad there was a wide variety of entertainment. I do think the Central Park idea sounds totally neat and love the idea of the extra large adult only area. That was the one area I found lacking on the Epic, but the thalassotherapy area made up for it in my eyes.

But still ....any day on a cruise on any ship....even one without all these luxuries is still better than a day at work!:D

If the coach is by the balcony the room service guy will have to crawl through the whole cabin.

Boy, for a person who doesn't like to argue (your quote), you sure do have a comeback for everything;) Personally, I'm not into sweating the small stuff. The waiter can plop the tray on my bed for all I care if it is more convenient. No worries man!

Boy, for a person who doesn't like to argue (your quote), you sure do have a comeback for everything;) Personally, I'm not into sweating the small stuff. The waiter can plop the tray on my bed for all I care if it is more convenient. No worries man!

That's a pure technical fact. Nothing to argue about.

Sorry, couldn't resist (your quote).

Lusitania, have you been on The Epic? The counter over the fridge/minibar is plenty large enough for a tray. If you don't have your room totally cluttered, there is no crawling to be done to get around the bed when the couch is by the balconey. Granted, its not a large space to walk through, but we managed just fine. The extra storage space was NOT on top of the couch but in the back of the couch, under the couch and up above the couch in the cupboards there. An amazing amount of storage, loved it! Usually just getting the suitcases out of the way is a major problem but not on the Epic. Only time I have had this much storage was when I was solo in a cabin.

I think both ships are great additions for us cruisers to choose between. I personally don't like the typical song and dance shows put on by the cruise line and don't care for musicals all that much. I didn't even have time in my 7 night cruise to attend all the shows available. I am glad there was a wide variety of entertainment. I do think the Central Park idea sounds totally neat and love the idea of the extra large adult only area. That was the one area I found lacking on the Epic, but the thalassotherapy area made up for it in my eyes.

But still ....any day on a cruise on any ship....even one without all these luxuries is still better than a day at work!:D

This is not about a coffee table. This is about the cabin.

When Mary, Queen of Scots was executed, that was not about her hair. That was about her head.

Please don't think I am an Oasis fan BTW.

That's a pure technical fact. Nothing to argue about.

Sorry, couldn't resist (your quote).

Well, I guess we beg to differ on this one then. I doubt I will be 'crawling' around my bed. I prefer to walk thanks, and that is pure technical fact:)

Now, how can we get our little conversation back on track? Oh yes, I am booked on the Epic and hope to book the Allure - love the comparison!

Honestly I don't like to use cruise lines' semantics but: CHICAGO 90 Min , Headliner Show 50 Min, Blue Planet 50 Min, Ice Games! 45 min, OceanAria 45 Min.

I include the the water show and the ice show in the list.

We had 4 shows in the Ruby Princess theatre - no poles there either, excellent sight lines everywhere. In addition there were small venues for pianos, comedians, cirque, dancing, games....

How can I forget the ice show on Oasis? It was wonderful as all RCCL's ice shows are!!! The special guest was a sand artist who was amazing to watch. I also forgot the headliner who was an impressionist. Yes, that is 5 major shows on Oasis.

On Epic, only two shows were in the main show room...BMG and Legends in concert but their other shows in the smaller venues were very entertaining too. I loved the dueling pianos, Legends unplugged in the Manhattan room and Cirque Dreams was an amazing show with dinner. Cirque Dreams is the only show there is a fee for and that is because it is a dinner show. Epic really does a great job with their entertainment but I must give the nod to Oasis as I did in my original comparison of the two ships.

In answer to my own question, after scrolling through a ton of tips on

"2010-cruiser's" The List thread :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1252754&highlight=2010_cruisers&page=12

This came up:

...and there is a slide-out small table (like a desk) directly above the mini-fridge.

Has anyone else noticed this table? Maybe this is the answer to the missing coffee table.

I wonder how many people realize there is this slide out table? We didn't. It would be nice if the cabin attendant pointed that out to folks when they arrived in the cabin. It's nice to have a table that can be put out of the way when not in use. Great idea, NCL.

Well, I guess we beg to differ on this one then. I doubt I will be 'crawling' around my bed. I prefer to walk thanks, and that is pure technical fact:)

Now, how can we get our little conversation back on track? Oh yes, I am booked on the Epic and hope to book the Allure - love the comparison!

I'd like to say "you're welcome" to all of you who have commented in this thread and thanked me for my comparison of both of these wonderful ships.

Archived