Pearl questions

willowbilly

Do the wait staff perform at dinner like other cruise lines? Do your room stewards leave chocolates at night? animal towels? Is there a past quest party and when? What other parties are there? Which dining room is better and why?

We were on the Pearl in September to Alaska. We did not see any staff perform at dinner. The stewards left us chocolates a couple of times and animal towels each night. There is a past guest party like two days into the cruise? They have the White night party and others we id not attend. We enjoyed the Indigo dinning room for a set down free meal. The blue Lagoon is great for fish N chips and chicken wings.

Do the wait staff perform at dinner like other cruise lines? NO Do your room stewards leave chocolates at night? NO animal towels? Sometimes Is there a past quest party and when? Last cruise on the Pearl there was a "Lattitudes party, I don't know if they still have them. What other parties are there? Which dining room is better and why?

I preferred Indigo MDR but don't think there is much difference!

only cruise lines with set dining times have dancing/singing waiters. with freestyle, people are being seated and leaving all the time, no clear aisles for any parades.

ncl quit chocolates on the pillow last year, guess they thought too many were getting thrown away.

they do towel animals, but it depends on how much time your room steward has to make them. i have gotten 5 out of 7 night on the last 2 criuses.

after you finished your 1st cruise, you become a member of "latitudes".

just make sure you use the same number when you book. a invitation to the past guest party will be waiting in your cabin on your next cruise.

after 5 cruises (bronze) you get invite to another party.

I prefer Summer Palace, it is more formal and elegant looking. It reminds me of the old fashioned trans-atlantic Titanic type cruise dining rooms. It also has huge windows that give beautiful views!

Can you explain more? Titanic type cruise dining room? Just curious as first time on the Pearl and NCL. Thanks in advance.

Summer Palace is on the back of the ship with lots of aft windows. Is formal looking with many paintings on the wall, formal entrance, etc. while Indigo is more modern looking. We prefered the Summer Palace, there were more 2 person tables we thought the service was better during both of our cruises on the Pearl. The food comes from the same kitchen, which is between the two restaurants. Freestyle dining is basically just like eating at a regular land based restaurant except you can order whatever you want at the free restaurants and never get a bill (unless you order a drink). There is a trio of musicians that will stroll throughout the summer palace playing classical type music, very talented. No silly singing an dancing waiters though.

There will be lots of different types of entertainment in the evening to select from. Most famous of the dances is the great white night party. There will be ice sculptures, ship dancers with wings, and everyone is expected to wear something white. We noticed on the Pearl at least that the early part of the evening drew the older crowd and played music from the 60's nd 70's, then as the night progressed the music became more recent and the crowd became much younger. It was fun so don't forget to bring something white.

Pearl has an observation room for the bridge, don't miss seeing that. And the prominade deck has the most comfortable lounge chairs if your lucky to get one.

Can you explain more? Titanic type cruise dining room? Just curious as first time on the Pearl and NCL. Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring strictly to the decor of Summer Palace and the Titanic was the most well-known trans-atlantic old-time ship I could think of to use as an example. I am in no way trying to compare the quality of food or service that NCL provides as too that of the Titanic 1st class dining rooms :) I was just simply trying to make the point that IMO the Summer Palace has a more elegant luxurious look to it.

Do the wait staff perform at dinner like other cruise lines? Do your room stewards leave chocolates at night? animal towels? Is there a past quest party and when? What other parties are there? Which dining room is better and why?

Animal towels were on our beds every night. Yes also to the occasional chocolate. I ate at the Summer Palace and it was ok. I liked the food, but the wait for it was a bit much. I love love love the Garden Cafe. MY favorite. *drools on keyboard* I ate at the Blue Lagoon once too, it was ok as well. Indigo was ok too...I just don't like waiting for my food when i can eat and get back to cruisin'! :D

Minnesotalady, by the way, I think you will love the Pearl. She is a beautiful ship and we really enjoyed our last vacation on the Pearl so much we are going again in February. Beautiful ship with the perfect balance of lots to do and lots of places to lounge and relax with great views! Also the decor of the ship is more classy and less Vegas then other ships.

One helpful hint: there are actually 3 buffets on board: The Garden Cafe, Topsiders Grill, and The Great Outdoors. All are located on deck 12. NCL makes each of these out to be restaraunts but they are actually just buffets (NCL shies away from the term buffet).

Here are some places on the ship that we like best and why:

Spinnaker Lounge (deck 13 forward I believe): great indoor area to lounge. Comfy lounge chairs with huge windows, great views! At night they have various entertainment here.

Topsiders grill (deck 12 by the pool): best french fries and fresh fruit on board. This is a buffet grill by the pool. The pool area has tables on either side shady. In addition, if you area seated at Topsiders, you are also in close proximity to Garden Cafe so you can get food from there and bring it back out to Topsiders.

Garden Cafe: Largest buffet on ship and 3 words...ICE CREAM BAR! (does not cost extra).

The Great Outdoors (deck 12 aft of Garden Cafe): outdoor buffet, nothing special about the food but the Aft views are great...great place to be when leaving ports. This too is also very close to Garden Cafe so you can get food there and bring it out to this area to eat outside.

Bliss Lounge: this really isn't our style as it is way over the top, but a must see anyway. This is also where the bowling ally is.

Bridge Viewing area: located deck 11 forward. See the crew in action as they navigate the ship.

Deck 7 Promenade: walk around the ship endlessly on this deck. The shaded promenade goes the whole way round the ship. Great place to walk off the extra calories;)

Hope this was helpful and not too winded.

Oh and my hubby is from Owatonna, MN

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring strictly to the decor of Summer Palace and the Titanic was the most well-known trans-atlantic old-time ship I could think of to use as an example. I am in no way trying to compare the quality of food or service that NCL provides as too that of the Titanic 1st class dining rooms :) I was just simply trying to make the point that IMO the Summer Palace has a more elegant luxurious look to it.

Thanks for the info! Think we will try the Summer Palace at least once on our up and coming cruise. Any foods you tried there that were exceptional that you would recommend?

Thanks,

Kathie

Thanks for the info! Think we will try the Summer Palace at least once on our up and coming cruise. Any foods you tried there that were exceptional that you would recommend?

Thanks,

Kathie

I am not sure if these items are still on the menu as the menus have changed since the last time I was on board. The Beef Wellington was my favorite entree and the Vanilla Soufle and Flourless Chocolate cake were my favorite desserts served in the MDRs. My parents really liked the lobster and my DH really liked the duck. I really hope these items are still on the menu.

Oh did you see my long post addressed to you? Just wanted to make sure you saw it even though I did not reply with quotes from you.

I am not sure if these items are still on the menu as the menus have changed since the last time I was on board. The Beef Wellington was my favorite entree and the Vanilla Soufle and Flourless Chocolate cake were my favorite desserts served in the MDRs. My parents really liked the lobster and my DH really liked the duck. I really hope these items are still on the menu.

Oh did you see my long post addressed to you? Just wanted to make sure you saw it even though I did not reply with quotes from you.

Susan,

Thank you soooooooo much. I am printing to take with us! Truly hope all the items are on the menu also as they are all foods we love!!! Thanks.

Are you Western or Eastern?

No there were no performing wait staff on either NCL cruise. No chocolate on the pillow (I didn't get that on my last Carnival Cruise - did on the first). There was a latitudes party (past guest). Animal towels on some nights.

DSCF2075.jpg

NCL Pearl

We were on the Pearl for respositioning cruise in September. No chocolates on our pillows at all. We did get towel animals almost every day.

We prefer the specialty restaurants for dinner, usually the Garden Cafe for breakfast and sometimes lunch. I think that the The Great Outdoors is just an extension of the Garden Cafe. Food looked the same to me.

The fish & chips at the Indigo was super, and we had a couple of good breakfasts there, too.

My only complaint about the Garden Cafe is that the food was never as warm as I would have liked. But there was a good selection and most of it was pretty good.

What is the great white party? Could someone explain? This is also going to be our first cruise with NCL and on the Pearl, we are excited but also very nervous.

It's actually called the White Hot Party. Dress in white and dance the night away or just watch everyone living it up! Totally fun!!

White Hot Party is lots of fun. Everyone dresses in white......they will sell "White Hot Party" tee shirts in the gift shop. We have ours from last year on the Jewel so will just bring them this year. Black lights, lots of dancing, Tons of fun for everyone!

We did western on the Jewel last year (awesome trip, HAD to crusie again) Doing eastern on the Pearl this year.

Archived