Best Cruise to Alaska End of July

riddle

Due to an extremely "inflexible" job schedule the only time we can take our anticipated cruise to Alaska is the last week in July. We have cruised NCL, Princess and Carnival in the past. We are between NCL and Princess on this one. I like flying in and out of Seattle as we have to fly cross country and it is more reasonable. I am starting to research the ports but at this point our choices seem to be:

NCL Star or

NCL Pearl or

Princess

Any input on these choices would be appreciated. Or is there a line (like HAL) which we should consider? We must leave port either 7/23 or 7/24 so that I can return to work by August 1.icon5.gif

Which of the three do Glacier Bay? Ports will be very close or the same pick the one with the best scenic cruising.

Due to an extremely "inflexible" job schedule the only time we can take our anticipated cruise to Alaska is the last week in July. We have cruised NCL, Princess and Carnival in the past. We are between NCL and Princess on this one. I like flying in and out of Seattle as we have to fly cross country and it is more reasonable. I am starting to research the ports but at this point our choices seem to be:

NCL Star or

NCL Pearl or

Princess

Any input on these choices would be appreciated. Or is there a line (like HAL) which we should consider? We must leave port either 7/23 or 7/24 so that I can return to work by August 1.icon5.gif

The nice thing about HAL is that it has a round trip out of Seattle that goes to Glacier Bay and Sitka. There is one departing on July 24:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?destCode=A&portCode=SEA&shipCodeSearch=&durationCode=2&dateCode=7_2011&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&pageNumber=1&voyageCode=O148&webItineraryIdForAudit=AES107

If glaciers are a priority for you, I would avoid any itineraries that go only to Tracy Arm Fjord (Sawyer Glaciers) for their scenic sailing day. With a Glacier priority I would look for an itinerary with Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier.

First- find out about Alaska. Head to your library and take out Alaska By Cruiseship, along with other Alaska travel books. Educate yourself on the differences of the ports, list your priority tours of interest, look at glacier differences. Add to the list, ports, time in ports, glacier, route, price.

NCL Star, does sail inside Vancouver Island (last 2 seasons did, I can not predict, however, if it will continue?? )

With ANY Tracy Arm itinerary, I strongly encourage you to purchase the add on ship tour of Tracy Arm, FAR superior to the cruise ship sailing.

Archived